Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2022 12:23:04 AM EDT
I'm interested in getting a bolt action at some point with some history.

I'm stuck between the Springfield 03' , Kar98K and Led Enfield MK4 No1.

Anyone in the group can offer opinions on these or pros and cons?

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I only have experience with the No4 Mk1*.

It’s got a fantastic action. I happen to prefer the cock on close. The mag capacity is great at 10 rounds. But here’s where the drawbacks start. While many insist rim lock isn’t a thing, I experience it every outing. They say the modern rounds aren’t beveled they way the old ones were so it’s a new phenomenon. Then there’s the kick of the .303. I’d expect the .30-06 to be as strong or stronger, but i feel the SMLE bruises the shoulder nicely. Of course, my .30-06 is a RAR with a rubber buttpad.

The other thing is I was surprised that my Garand outshot the SMLE. Please don’t get all pedantic that a No4 Mk1* isn’t an SMLE. It  is, despite the change in name and it’s easier to type.  Not saying the SMLE is inaccurate, just that I’d have expected it to be better than the Garand.

I might think the Mauser might be the way to go. There’s a reason the action has become the standard for bolt action rifles. And I’d guess the 8mm would be perfectly effective with a bit lighter recoil.

I don’t think any of them were bad rifles. The differences are minimal if you ask me. None were better or worse enough to make a difference in the big scheme. I mean, if the Germans had SMLEs, it wouldn’t have meant a win for them. Or if we’d had only 1903s and not Garands. Yes, the Garand probably made it easier. But I’d guess the results would be the same.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 12:57:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Mauser, but only if it’s an actual German one. Otherwise I’d go Finn M39.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Mine was rebarreled in 43, shoots about 2 moa with surplus.

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Have a 1943 Remington 03A3 that is amazing with surplus ammo. Action is so smooth would love to hunt a little with it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Lee Enfield

Fastest, smoothest action, largest capacity, good sights. I’ve never had an issue with rim lock.

ETA: I read this initially as which would I prefer to go to war with. For collector/historic purpose I still like the Enfield but .303 ammo can be harder to find than .30-06 or even 8mm Mauser, but it is available. The guns seem to be going up quite a bit for all of them.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got Enfields, Arisakas, K98 and US bolts.  My vote is for the US 1917 or 03A3 and one of the main drivers of that choice is ammo availability and price....
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#8]
For accuracy it really comes down between two; either the Swedish M1896 Mauser in 6.5x55 or the American M1903A3.

For the past couple of years I’ve been shooting local military bolt action matches. Our rules are stricter than the CMP’s as we cannot use newly manufactured replacement barrels... Rifles must be as issued replacement barrels with new old stock is allowed and in most cases no one would even know.

Having said that the shooters who dominate the competition are using one of the two rifles listed above.

My biased opinion and what I use is the m1903a3,,, having said that the m1896 Swedish Mauser with a good barrel probably has a slight advantage. I’ve heard some say the Swedes used better steel and had superior machining of barrels than other Mauser’s. All I know is the sights on the Swedes are good and I don’t remember anyone shooting a standard k98 ever placing in the top five.

My .02

Happy hunting

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I have each of those and had a 1917 at one point, for me the No 4 is the hands down winner. Fast action, peep sights, 10 rounds in the mag. If it has to be a bolt gun, this is the one.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#10]
For fun the Enfield.  I have two No4 mk1 rifles, a Fazakerly and a Long Branch.

As far as accuracy they are ok as far as I can tell with peep sights and hand loads.  Under or close to 3 moa off the top of my head without pulling target files.  If they are just slapped in an unfitted forestock or the fore stock is soft and oilsoacked accuracy can be rubbish.  Replacement foreshocks are no longer cheap.  The buttstocks and handguards are around in NOS condition very reasonable.

The peep sighted guns are my suggestion so that is the No4 mk1, the M1903A3 or the M1917.  They are easier on the aging eyes versus the open barrel mounted rear sight guns.  

Enfield might run around a $450-700
M1903A3 about $700-800 last I saw but I haven’t looked lately
K98k russian captures are going for $800 ish locally.
Swedish M96 rifles run around $500-600 here, no idea on their M38
cheapest ww2 bolt action I saw a Japanese type I, the Italian made Japanese carcano action in 6.5 iirc, could have been 7.7 but I don’t think so.  $300, not a lot of interest in that mixed breed rifle.  Most don’t know what they are.   They’re not well marked.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The funiest (English, the living language!) WWII rifle I own is a Mosin sniper rifle.

With the 3x scope, even with cheap Bulgarian surplus ammo, it's easy to hit a 2" steel plate at 100 yards.   Plus has a historic, Battle of Stalingrad look to it.

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have all three and couldn't get rid of any

1944 SMLE by Solo__, on Flickr

1942 K98K by Solo__, on Flickr

1943 A3 with Scant Stock by Solo__, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a Type 38 Arisaka in 6.5x50 that is a good shooter with my hand loads.  I always wanted a 6.5 Swedish Mauser or a 1917 Eddystone but never found either when I had the cash.   I have shot the 1903, SMLE and the 98k and it would depend on the quality of the specimen if I had to choose between a 1903-A3 or a SMLE.  Nothing against the 98k but I like 6.5 or 7 mm Mauser better than 8 mm.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#15]
K31, keg handle straight pull!
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Prices on new and older firearms have skyrocketed. I remember 10yrs ago I could find a Nazi era Kar98 for $650, 03'Springfield Rebuild around 1k-1200and  SMLE around $750 -800$.   Totally forgot about the Garbage Rod. Mosin during Xmas were going 150$.
Now I cannot find a Mosin under $350.

If I knew we were gonna bein another scare and non imports, I Would have bought at least 10 Salga Rifles that were all over GA dot .com going for at most $350.

I love em all but probably would want a Kar98K, then 1903 then Enfield. However I cannot find a reputable source with descent prices just auctions. Garand Guy dot .com prices have gone too high for me atm. Check the SCAR H was $2500 10yrs ago now 4k!

I wish I didn't get so obsessed with my LRB Arms M14 build with all TRW parts besides a few. $2800 bucks and I ended up selling it when I needed some extra cash for huge loss ??.
Hardly any local Gun stores around here even less with knowledge workers so I'm stuck looking online.
Came across these Enfields looking pretty new but would you guys say price is kinda high or pretty decent?
https://www.ows-ammo.com/enfield-4-s

Thanks for all the replies and if anyone has links to reputable source for Kar98K or Springfield 03 plz post. Even a Mosin under $200 I'd like to get. I'm on a tight budget.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lee Enfield

Fastest, smoothest action, largest capacity, good sights. I’ve never had an issue with rim lock.

ETA: I read this initially as which would I prefer to go to war with. For collector/historic purpose I still like the Enfield but .303 ammo can be harder to find than .30-06 or even 8mm Mauser, but it is available. The guns seem to be going up quite a bit for all of them.
View Quote

Mosin I had to watch the rim lock.  I guess I was careful watching where I stacked the rims with the Enfield.  The mosin ammo I had was on strippers so you had a 50/50 chance of a rim lock.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#19]
1903a3 is my vote.

I shoot vintage matches and the 1903A3 is  the fastest and easiest to shoot. There is a windage adjustable sight with 1 moa clicks. Rear peep sight utilizes the maximum sight radius. Cock on open bolt making a super smooth action. Not overly long or heavy. One piece stock That is easy to accurize without bedding. Some were in the C-stock that had a wrist like modern bolt actions, my preference.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1903a3 is my vote.

I shoot vintage matches and the 1903A3 is  the fastest and easiest to shoot. There is a windage adjustable sight with 1 moa clicks. Rear peep sight utilizes the maximum sight radius. Cock on open bolt making a super smooth action. Not overly long or heavy. One piece stock That is easy to accurize without bedding. Some were in the C-stock that had a wrist like modern bolt actions, my preference.
View Quote

Do you happen to know any dealers that sell refurbished    1903's at a reasonable price 1k-1200$ range?
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Do you happen to know any dealers that sell refurbished    1903's at a reasonable price 1k-1200$ range?
View Quote

At that price and a little shopping you should be able to find a very nice original example.

Santiam Buyers in Stayton OR brought to a show a couple weeks ago a decent Remington 1903a3 for a asking price of $900. If I remember correctly it was in a Smith Corona stock. It caught my eye because of being in good condition and fair priced. Sadly they also had an unused Remington that was poorly stored and has pitting on the parts. I have bought several 1903’s from them. They turn over a lot of older firearms and have been selling a lot of collections of milsurp rifles, both in original configuration and sporterized.

In that price range you should be able to find a 1903 in very good condition. Arsenal rebuilt run $750-$900 range. Correct originals run $900-$1300 depending on condition.

Commercial refurbished rifles sometimes are built on parade rifle receivers that had the cut offs welded. I would recommend learning what that looks like and avoiding those since there is less collectibility value in parade rifles. For similar reasons, avoid any rifles with receiver drilled for scope mounts or receiver sights unless you plan to mount a scope.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I have owned numerous K98ks and a prewar all matching version is IMO the nicest of any bolt military rifle

I have also owned every other bolt military many of each over the years and they all have merit (Nagants not so much)

Time catches up to us all and I am selling off my last 8MM and keeping a nice 37 Lubecker I rebarreled to 308 but alas that may become to much one day

I picked up a little FN 24-30 shorty (Think VZ16-33) in 7MM and along with 6.5 will become your future caliber if you live long enough to require less recoil
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#23]
#4 Enfield for sure. Capacity , durability , decent sights , and decent round for it's time.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:31:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Never had a Springfield, but I much prefer the cartridge over .303 or 8mm.

It’s easier to reload and you can have as much quality ammo as you want, straight off the shelf. Better ballistics than the .303 too.

I use a No. 4 Mk2 for most of my competitive shooting. They’re very capable to 600yds which is as far as I use them. Very seldom have I seen one have issues that aren’t related to ammo or excessive wear.

Some shooters do well with the SMLE and Long Lee. Even the No. 5 carbine can be a surprisingly decent shooter. Basically any Brit, Canadian, Australian, or American Enfield will serve you well.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#25]
None of them are exactly what I would want. If I can borrow features from several different rifles though…

G33/40 action
6.5x55 chambering
Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 sights
1917 safety
1903 curved grip stock
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:30:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
None of them are exactly what I would want. If I can borrow features from several different rifles though…

G33/40 action
6.5x55 chambering
1917 safety
1903 curved grip stock
View Quote

Throw in the 10 round Lee Enfield magazine and you have the ideal bolt action battle rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Throw in the 10 round Lee Enfield magazine and you have the ideal bolt action battle rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

G33/40 action
6.5x55 chambering
1917 safety
1903 curved grip stock

I thought about including that, but in my mind it wasn’t quite fair. I can’t square the thickness of a double stack Ishapore type mag with the slimness of a Mauser action.

Then again, perhaps one could be designed specially for the rimless case, not for the fat 303 rim.

That would be incredible.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#28]
03 Springfield - too short for me (buttstock) and it really works me over with the recoil and being right on top of the action.  Very accurate.  Ammo easy to find/reload.  Tough/reliable.

03A3 Remington - length of pull is fine (longer stocks than the older 03).  Don't feel the recoil as much due to the better fit.  Comments for ammo and reliability are the same as the 03.

M1917 (Winchester and Eddystone) - just right for me.  Like it was made to fit me.  Protected front sight blade.  Very tough receiver/bolt set up (used for lots of custom magnum/wildcat cartridges over the years.)  Same comments about ammo/reliability as the 03/03A3 rifles).  Getting harder to find good spare parts for these, if you'd ever need one.

Never shot a foreign made bolt action surplus rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#29]
M1917. Great sights, super strong action. It's a little long but balances great
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Its not an easy choice. Even the bad ones shoot pretty good provided they aren't worn out. Like most of who answered I have and shoot a few of them. One overlooked is the French MAS 36. Its basic but a fine shooter. The Swiss K31 is a work of art but is precision oriented. The M39 like all Mosins is heavy and clunky as are the Model 27,28, and 31s. An 03A3, 98K, or MKIV would be hard to beat provided you had good ammo and the guns were in good condition. I go to the range weekly and always bring a couple along. Final choice? I'd take my 98K. Its a 1944 BYF(Mauser) excellent condition, all matching, and with my 180g handloads  is accurate and reliable. The condition of the gun is more important then which one. For me anyway. That plus my uncle brought it back.

this is the West wall of my toy room where the WWI/WWII rifles and handguns are kept.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#31]
1903A3 or 1917 for me; better irons, Mauser type bolt.

Win/win.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Its not an easy choice. Even the bad ones shoot pretty good provided they aren't worn out. Like most of who answered I have and shoot a few of them. One overlooked is the French MAS 36. Its basic but a fine shooter. The Swiss K31 is a work of art but is precision oriented. The M39 like all Mosins is heavy and clunky as are the Model 27,28, and 31s. An 03A3, 98K, or MKIV would be hard to beat provided you had good ammo and the guns were in good condition. I go to the range weekly and always bring a couple along. Final choice? I'd take my 98K. Its a 1944 BYF(Mauser) excellent condition, all matching, and with my 180g handloads  is accurate and reliable. The condition of the gun is more important then which one. For me anyway. That plus my uncle brought it back.

this is the West wall of my toy room where the WWI/WWII rifles and handguns are kept.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42896/thumbnail__2__jpg-2561353.JPG

View Quote

You are one lucky man.

TY for all the kind replies guys
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#33]
German K98k.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Lots of great rifle suggestions here. Of the three you initially posted I'd take the 03-A3 for the sights, stock, ammo availability and it's the last general issue US bolt action.
However, for a rifle that's available now I'd get a Finn M39. While they are heavy (9+ pounds) and a bit clunky (due to the nature of the Mosin action) they are beautifully made and usually quite accurate. Also the WWII made rifles defended Finland against the Soviet Union in the Continuation War. The Soviets lost that one.

Whatever you decide to get let us know. A pic would be nice as well. ;-)
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have all 3. Like all 3.

If you're gonna shoot it regularly the 1903/1903A3 wins.

If you want capacity, and high rate of fire, and don't care about ammo the No4MK1 wins
If you've got deep pockets and want to research the shit out of a gun to make sure you're not getting a fake the K98 wins.

Me personally I would go with the 1903/1903A3 out of those 3.  If you want something else that's crazy accurate get a swedish Mauser or a K31. I absolutely love those guns.

Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#36]
No.4 mk 1, because 10rds, and I like the action, and the sights beat the shit out of those on a 98K.
I've no experience with  the '03 or the Carcano. The Japanese rifles don't do a thing for me. The Mosin-Nagant is  simply a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:13:42 AM EDT
[#37]
The problem with the Lee Enfield is that due to the nature of .303 British, it's only a matter of time till your rifle gets to the point where it routinely rim locks

The Brits spent the entire lifetime of the Lee trying to tune the magazine, but were never able to get it quite right. The Indians figured it out when they chambered it in .308

The M1917 is the ultimate evolution of not only the Lee, but the Mauser as well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#38]
M-1917...once you get the windage zero'ed, super smooth and cocking on closing is easy to get used to...I will admit that the 03A3 has the charm of easier to zero rear sight...all are great fun to shoot, you can't go wrong...If you pick a US rifle, CMP will do lots of the things you might need done, barrel, etc...
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Lee Enfield, not even a question.  Best battle rifle of the war.  I've owned most of the WW2 milsurps.  The 03 is a really nice target rifle.  I can't imagine trying to find that front sight blade in combat.  The Mauser is also a good rifle hampered by crappy sights.  I never understood the Germans fascination with the barley corn.  The Moisin got the job done, but the Russians never had a universal length barrel.  You either had too long or too short.  The 1917 is good but heavy and chunky.  The MAS 36 I thought was surprisingly useful.  Once you got used to the odd bolt placement it was really a nice battle rifle.  Carcano had an inadequate caliber and fragile clips.  Never owned an Arisaka.  The Schmidt Rubin doesn't count because it never fought a war.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I also have all 3. I guess it depends on what you want it for. Just to have because they are cool, probably the 1903. America and all that. I like my Enfield MK4more, its purdy more ammo and a unique action but .303 ammo is less common.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#41]
It's a close call between the Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 and the Mauser K98K.  I don't think it's really possible to say which is better because I'm not sure exactly how to weigh the advantages and disadvantages.  

-The Mauser has a buttstock that is shaped nicely and won't try to slide off your shoulder like the Lee Enfield
-The Mauser safety is more ergonomic
-The Mauser has better clips
-The Mauser would tend to hold its accuracy better (Lee Enfields tend to need bedding work as they age)
-The Mauser 8mm cartridge has better ballistics than the .303
-The Lee Enfield has better sights
-The Lee Enfield has a faster action
-The Lee Enfield holds 10+1
-The Lee Enfield can be more quickly single-loaded directly into the chamber as the extractor slips over rims easier than that of the Mauser.

If you are getting rim lock, it is likely that you are using cartridges with insufficient overall-length (OAL).  
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#42]
The Lee Enfield is a better gun, with double the capacity and a faster action, but .30-06 is much easier to find. I’d get the Springfield.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 1:41:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Enfield. Just because I think they’re the best looking bolt action ever made.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 6:00:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#45]
I owned basically all the C&Rs at one point like many here. The M1 is the best rifle, but of the bolt actions, the M39 was the best for me, and K98k might be the best overall (except for the sights).

I'm a Lee-Enfield detractor. Although I never had rim lock issues with any of mine, they were all uncomfortable for me, especially in prone, and I never shot them better than say, Soviet M91/30s. I also despised the straight stock 03A3.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#46]
I have owned most of them and shot pretty much all of them.

The No. 4 Enfield would be my easy first choice to take into combat.
Very smooth, slick, fast bolt operation
Very good handling qualities
10 round magazine
Really good sights (did I mention that I love the sights)
.303 is a very adequate and effective cartridge & it’s not hard to find for sale.

The U.S. 03A3 would be a close second, mainly because of the very good sights.
Also, 30’06 is a pretty awesome cartridge and very commonly available (in stock at my local Walmart today).
Few places you can hide from 30’06 AP.

The ‘U.S. 1903 Springfield, No.1 Enfield suffer from sights that don’t work well for my eyes.
Maybe great for a range under reasonable daytime conditions, but not for much else.
I kept them for the history and collectibility, but not for any real use.

I find the sights on the ‘98 Mauser kinda suck also.
I did keep an Israeli 98K that had been converted by the Israelis to 7.62 NATO - technically not WWII, but it’s REALLY cool.

The 1917 Enfield doesn’t handle well, but the sights are very good.
Accurate but awkward. At least it’s .30’06

Swedish 96 Mausers have amazing craftsmanship and I really like the 6.5x55 cartridge.
Very pleasant to shoot but again, I dislike the sights. The CG63 target rifles are marvelous

The Type 38 Japanese Arisaka is nice but not really in the running against the top picks
The Type 99s you see are usually pretty trashy last ditch models. The earlier ones are pretty neat.

Swiss K31 (and earlier K11) straight pull - excellentt craftsmanship, nice rifles but . . .

French MAS 36 (and later variants) meh . . . the French seem to have no gift for small arms

Italian Carcanos - meh, kinda like the Arisaka.

Mosin Nagant - dead last (except for the original sniper models)
The Finnish models are my favorite of the standard type Mosins.

I’m sure I could go on, but probably no point

ETA I’d take an M1 Rifle over ALL of them for any real use ??
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You are one lucky man.

TY for all the kind replies guys
View Quote

Thanks - went to the range yesterday. two best shooters were the 1903A3 and the Swiss M1911.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/21/2022 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I just bought an enfield, and then i sold it. The ammo is gone. Brass is gone. Unless u have a pile of it, dont even try.

I recently went with the Motherlands Finest......PU Sniper. Was desniped at some point, and i Resniped it as per Russian specs.

Consistantly shoots btn .75-1.5" @100 with handloads or Barnul 174gr. Easily makes hits on steel to 600+ yds. Here is 3 shots @200yds:

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Not exactly WWII. But what about the Isaphore SMLE.  Caliber 7.62/308.  Ten round magazine fed.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top