Which model does the hive prefer?

Asking for a friend..

Go…
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:28:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARKAR] [#2]
Thank you, Augee.

Want the IR version and was thinking the 640 was a better choice for me. As always, your knowledge is insightful and very much appreciated. I will be ordering from TNVC.

ARKAR
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:
What application are you your friend looking for?

For "general purpose tactical" use in a combat situation with NV capable combined arms assets, my favorite model is the HS-640-07.

I like the -07 in particular because it has IR "Flash-Dim" and IR "Flash-Bright" settings: The dim flash is good for IFF / location marking to other ground forces in relatively close proximity without "blowing them out," and is my favorite "tactical" setting--the standard IR flash is spec'ed to be visible from three miles by air, so it can be a little... much if it's going off right next to you.

Conversely, if you're spread out over terrain / working with combined arms assets, the "Flash-Bright" makes pretty sure you're clearly identified by distributed sensors.

For LE / armed citizen applications, where the combined arms assets are a little less likely, I like the HS-640-56P.

In terms of VIS settings, the -56P has both green and red visible settings allowing for "status notifications/signalling." This can be utilized in a variety of ways, especially in range / training situations, as long as everyone has a clearly defined understanding of the SOP--however, it does require everyone has a clear understanding of the SOP / meaning of the different colors / indicators.

In IR, it has the Flash-Dim that I already mentioned above, plus the "standard" brightness IR-Steady.

For more "lone wolf" / solo-civilian, non-organized training / recreational use I recommend the HS-640-12, known as the "Law Enforcement Model," but this was before NV became a reasonably common thing for LE agencies. The -12 does not have any IR settings, but rather Green Steady / Green + White Flash / Red Flash / Blue Flash. To me, if you're not working / shooting with other folks who also have night vision, the purpose of the strobe becomes pretty much entirely emergency signalling (e.g., you were hiking, fell on the trail and broke your leg) and while many SAR assets do utilize some night vision, IR signalling somewhat defeats the purpose, IMHO, if you're trying to be found.

Finally, and I throw this in there more reference than anything else as I believe that this applies only to extremely specialized applications such as SR or other truly denied / covert environments where the consequences for accidental visible signature could be catastrophic, you may want to consider the HS-620 series (flash settings tailored to your application), which, unlike the sliding nose-switch of the HS-640 series, has a physical "lock-out" switch, which requires a tool be used to change from IR to VIS settings:

https://tnvc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/products-HelStar_620640_New.jpg

Again, IMHO, the HS-620 is only "needed" in extremely specialized applications, as even for most military applications I do / would recommend the HS-640 series that allows you to simply reach up and switch, and also very easy to remember by feel-only (switch towards the "front," VIS, switch towards the "back," IR), and if / when going into an actual combat situation, rather than having to mess with a tool, I would / do use a small piece of 100MPH tape to keep the switch secured in the desired position and protected from accidental switching from brushing / bumping, but that can be easily ripped off if you want / need to change settings on the fly.

~Augee
View Quote

@TNVC_Augee what about for LE coordinating with a NV-capable orbiting helicopter at 1000-2000 feet in a city? Would IR bright be necessary or would IR dim suffice? The worst obstruction would be light tree canopy in wooded trails/creeks.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:

@TNVC_Augee what about for LE coordinating with a NV-capable orbiting helicopter at 1000-2000 feet in a city? Would IR bright be necessary or would IR dim suffice? The worst obstruction would be light tree canopy in wooded trails/creeks.
View Quote

We have Hel-Star 6's with Red/Green and IR. Do you guys know how to check the power level of the IR? We have used them in coordination with helicopters in rural areas.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 4:42:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Top Top