Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2021 2:24:27 PM EDT
Don't ask how (seriously) but I totally F****d up the barrel of my M&P 15-22. It's irreparably damaged. I'd like to find/buy a replacement barrel instead of buying a whole new gun. The upper receiver and barrel nut are intact, and I've taken the barrel nut off and removed the messed up barrel from the upper receiver. Soo... I have a complete lower, the plastic upper receiver, and a barrel nut. I need a barrel. Is there anywhere to buy a factory barrel? Not looking for the carbon fiber volquartsen one, although if that's my only option, I might do that instead of buying a new gun.  

I'm looking for the whole barrel assembly (with the ejector and roll pins installed).

Side note: yes, yes, I know it was really bad and dumb of me to damage the barrel on my rifle. No need to chastise me in the comments, I already know. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#2]
It was full length.  It is well and truly destroyed, whether you cut or not.  Sorry if you were hoping to buy one to cut down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:31:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Call Smith and Wesson?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I did.  They don't sell barrels separately.  I'm about to just say screw it and buy a new one.  It's not like they're super-expensive guns in the first place.

I'll have a whole bunch of spares for it. lol.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I did.  They don't sell barrels separately.  I'm about to just say screw it and buy a new one.  It's not like they're super-expensive guns in the first place.

I'll have a whole bunch of spares for it. lol.
View Quote

Did you ask about the cost if you sent it in?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
There are a few places that sell barrels such as Volquartson and Numrich.  Volquartson may not have factory barrels.  Numrich shows they carry factory barrels but are currently out of stock.  

Might be a good time to go with a match barrel.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Side note: yes, yes, I know it was really bad and dumb of me to damage the barrel on my rifle. No need to chastise me in the comments, I already know. Thanks.
View Quote

I don't think anyone is going to troll you for it.  I'm going to assume it was not shooting related because it is nearly impossible to blow up a .22lr barrel.  From a bubba'ing with a Dremel accident to getting it bent in a M113's ramp: everyone has seen it.   Seriously curious how you did this and can you send it back to S&W to pay for them to fix it?  There is the option to wait a few months and pay way more than the base firearm + $200 for a Gemtech/S&W integral upper, but be warned that may not be a good option for long term product support
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think anyone is going to troll you for it.  I'm going to assume it was not shooting related because it is nearly impossible to blow up a .22lr barrel.  From a bubba'ing with a Dremel accident to getting it bent in a M113's ramp: everyone has seen it.   Seriously curious how you did this and can you send it back to S&W to pay for them to fix it?  There is the option to wait a few months and pay way more than the base firearm + $200 for a Gemtech/S&W integral upper, but be warned that may not be a good option for long term product support
View Quote

It was more along the bubba'ing it with a dremel lines...
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Basically, I wayyy over-torqued a conversion barrel nut from tacticool .22 that's meant to put regular AR handguards on.  Then, when I tried to get it back off, i grabbed the fucker with some vice grips and turned, and snapped the plastic upper.  Then in my anger and frustration, I really cranked on the barrel nut with some vice grips and I destroyed the threads on the barrel.  Also the ejector broke

Basically I'm an idiot who should never be allowed to touch tools again.... but I did learn a lesson about using a torque wrench and having the proper tools for the job.  Anyways, don't want to send this mangled mess to smith and wesson, because essentially I need a whole new upper.  

ETA: oh, and I also got carried away dremeling off portions of the front of the plastic upper, to get the handguard seated closer to the upper with no "gap."  Which was also dumb.

All in all, just a really dumb, bad morning that should've been avoided.

The good news is, S&W sells just the plastic stripped upper for like $12, and I have the original barrel nut, so I really do just need the barrel to get her running again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I might just buy the volquartsen.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually, I might try S&W customer service and just try to get them to buy a new barrel.

When I emailed them before about a part, I've gotten "Unfortunately this is a part that we do not sell separately."  Then, when I've called their customer service line and without saying anything about what I needed, I've just said "I want to order a part, part number XXXX" and they say "sure! we'll ship it right away"

So maybe I'll try that with the barrel. From S&W forum, I found this list:

405020000 b106 22 AR bbl threaded 16.5" rev A
404570000 ejector
404560000 barrel extension
404590000 barrel extension rollpin

I think that's all i'd need, right?

And this time, not try to dremel or crank on anything... just put it back together the way it was and leave well enough alone
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/rifles-sw/mp-15-22

OOS right now, but might be worth checking now and then.  Don't buy the unthreaded barrel version, unless you want that of course.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Found a new barrel! I found someone who bought an aftermarket and I bought their factory barrel.  All is well
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:52:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Call Smith and Wesson?
View Quote

What he said. Seriously, reach out to them.

ETA:
"Hey, SW, folks! On the really big internet gun site they say great things about your customer service. Help me prove them right"

ETA #2:
My bad, didn't read the last post.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/rifles-sw/mp-15-22

OOS right now, but might be worth checking now and then.  Don't buy the unthreaded barrel version, unless you want that of course.
View Quote

The part is listed but it's my understanding that it's rare for any place to sell factory 15-22 barrels. I've had notifications from Numrich and MGW for over a year and they haven't come in.

BUT, I've read that S&W will replace your barrel if you send in the gun. If its your screw-up they'll charge you but if it's a defect it'll be replaced under warranty. I looked for a barrel for a long time and ended up with a volquartsen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top