Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2018 7:51:28 PM EDT
So I'm saving up a for 650 that I plan on doing 9, 38 and 223.  I still load 45 on a 550 that I was planning on keeping but I have considered getting a 1050 instead of a 650.
I've gotten smarter about my loading and doing my batches much larger than before for caliber changouts (roughly 4k before change out).

so when do you 1050 or do you just dedicate a 1050 to a caliber.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I have more time than money. So, I went with 2 1050’s. One for small primer, one large.

If you get a 1050, swapping calibers is relatively quick if you buy toolheads. They are expensive. I have about 10. I run a dozen or so calibers on the 1050’s. The ones I run the most, I dedicate a tool head. Other’s, I setup die.

Sounds like you only have a handful of calibers. If you run a ton, buy the toolheads and save the time. Or buy one every 6 months and in no time, you will have enough.

I don’t like the 650. But dozens of folks here love them. They can have them. And plenty of folks to support you if you get into a bind.

I am about to run 3k 9mm for me and my friend. We tested 300 today. GTG.

If you run more than 1k at a time, you may want a Autodrive. Mark 7 is best. But don’t buy one until you know your press. Good luck with decision!
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
well you need to realize that the 1050 does not come with both priming systems....and they are about 115 bucks.  Then a toolhead is a north of 200.  And, you have a good portion of another press paid for....
The xl650 would be a better value.......
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I enjoy reloading but I also don't like to spend days in front of a press, I'd rather be shooting, so a 1050 was an easy choice. It really shines with a bullet feeder though so consider that with your budget.

If you don't mind setup you can get some good locking rings on your dies and just use 1 Toolhead. I use 3: one for processing 5.56 brass, one for loading 5.56, and one that I use for everything else(swap dies around). It all depends on your budget. You can easily hit $3k with a bullet feeder, second primer size, powder check die, etc..

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one toolhead and do my .223 & .308 processing.  I reload 223, 308 & 45acp on my S1050 and will soon add 9mm to it.  I need more tool heads and when I have the space I will get another 1050 so I can have one setup for large and the other for small primer.  Go for the S1050, it's worth it and changing setups is not to difficult.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You can do a lot of work on a 650 with case feeder, mrbullet feeder, and a few toolheads.

I'd definitely go 1050 if I really needed to swage on the press and only did one or two calibers in real quantity.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#6]
The cost of the S1050 pales when compared to the cost of the components to keep it fed.

If your wanting to load .223 I would suggest just getting the 1050 . It will make processing the brass much easier and better.  In the long run when the day comes you sell the 1050 you'll recover that extra money you spent on it anyways.

Cost of S1050 = $2000.00
Cost of components =. $10,000.00 and up.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#7]
If you value your time, get the 1050.

You can crank out the same or better quality ammo in less than half the time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:45:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I load 9mm and 45 on the 650

All rifle calibers on the 1050.

Case and Bulletfeeder on both.

On 1050 a prep and load toolhead makes prep and loading a breeze
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#9]
how about the "just pull it and not pull and push" difference between the 650?

I've read that is worth it on its own.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m switching to all 9mm for competitions both handgun and PCC. I’ve contemplated getting a 1050 and keeping it set up only for 9mm.

I love my 650, and I’ll keep it for everything else.

Big problem I see is buying enough components to keep the thing running
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I know people like the pull only on the 1050 but with issues in the past with primer setting.  I like to feel the primer being set on the 650.

I'd love to pick up a 1050 but never could justify the price tag.  Maybe someday I'll just do it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Priming on the downstroke is worth it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#13]
happy with my xl650

( and my little 550b)
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Priming on the downstroke is worth it.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 2:05:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not too mention the ability to adjust primer depth.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
The correct time is as soon as you can , don't waste money on the 650 , in the last 10 years think I've heard like 2 people regretting making the move compared to everyone else saying wished they had done it in the first place

I tried 3 different times to keep a 650 on the bench and every time turned around and sold them cause the 1050 is so much nicer to use, in fact I believe one went to a guy in this thread

The 1050 and 550 make a nice combo
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Unless I go out and buy a full auto I don't ever plan on replacing the S1050B that I sold.  It was expensive, a PITA overall, and had basically no warranty from Dillon.

I'd just get the XL650 and load to your hearts content personally.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn't you pick up a used incomplete unit ??  You were one of the 2 I was thinking of
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I've owned my S1050 for probably 5-6 years and have loaded 10s of thousand's of rounds of 9mm and .223 and have never had a single problem with the press.

I do all of my sizing on a single stage and think this may help with the wear and tear.

I am thinking of picking up a 2nd press for large primer I like it so much.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Didn't you pick up a used incomplete unit ??  You were one of the 2 I was thinking of
View Quote
It was used and I did have to buy a few parts to complete it.  In the end what pissed me off was that Dillon admitted it was assembled incorrectly by them (I couldn't get the carrier cap off) but still made me pay for the shipping both ways to have it fixed (so I had the service done while it was there since that included shipping back).  They were also jerks about it since when I did receive it back someone had thrown Advil into the crate that I had made to ship it.  There is no way that was done on accident with where it was located in the crate.

I know it was out of warranty (which is only a year IIRC) but the whole experience just made me lose interest in any of their commercial products.

I used to be an avid fan of theirs but now I will just keep and use my RL550B (which I love) but I doubt I will buy another press from them.

My main gripes with the S1050B though had more to do with how I reload.  I do mix brass so the swaging was especially useless to me.  I also didn't find that I could effectively take advantage of the downstroke priming since you can't feel how the primer is seating.  Overall the press was just too complicated and expensive (initial cost and for parts/spares) for me to justify considering how much I load.  I would need to be loading at least 5K rounds per month before I'd consider buying it again.

I loaded 1500rds of 9mm recently in 3 evenings (5 hours total) without any issues on the RL550B so I would have to be shooting A LOT for me to consider even stepping up to the XL650 much less the S1050B.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Rcbs rockchucker = painful work

Dillon 550.   =  Annoying work

Dillon 650 =.  Productive work

Dillom 1050=  FUN

I smile every time i pull the handle on my 1050, my other presses, no.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Overall the press was just too complicated
View Quote
If you found that to be you will hate the 650 as the 1050 I found to be a much more user friendly machine

For those who hold off because of change over cost that can be done cheaply if you  don't mind swapping dies out of the tool-head, which I don't mind. I'm at 15 calibers that I load on it and my conversion cost is under $60 as I picked up just the needed parts instead of kits for each caliber, caliber changes run 5 to 15 minutes depending on what I'm going to load next

All the presses out there make great ammo have a buddy that loves his Lee LoadMaster, pick what fills your needs and budget and enjoy the hobby
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The correct time is as soon as you can , don't waste money on the 650 , in the last 10 years think I've heard like 2 people regretting making the move compared to everyone else saying wished they had done it in the first place

I tried 3 different times to keep a 650 on the bench and every time turned around and sold them cause the 1050 is so much nicer to use, in fact I believe one went to a guy in this thread

The 1050 and 550 make a nice combo
View Quote
I got one of your 650's...BTW its running great and makes a lot of ammo.

I would like the 1050 just cant see the cost being worth it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I have both machines, there is a learning curve for both.

The 1050 is the way to go if you load a large amount or anything with crimped primers.

I was concerned that priming on the downstroke would provide less feel and be less consistent,  It does give you less feel however its way more consistent.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Hve had a 1050 for about 4 years and was thinking of getting a 6500 for everything large primer but am really thinking of just clinching the butt cheeks and grabbing another 1050 and calling it a day.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hve had a 1050 for about 4 years and was thinking of getting a 6500 for everything large primer but am really thinking of just clinching the butt cheeks and grabbing another 1050 and calling it a day.
View Quote
Swapping primer system is super easy but I admit when you get home from work, that extra step really makes the decision to reload vs have a beer a little harder.

I went with a second 1050 and a bunch of toolheads just to reduce the amount of beer I drink.

Glad I did.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It was used and I did have to buy a few parts to complete it.  In the end what pissed me off was that Dillon admitted it was assembled incorrectly by them (I couldn't get the carrier cap off) but still made me pay for the shipping both ways to have it fixed (so I had the service done while it was there since that included shipping back).  They were also jerks about it since when I did receive it back someone had thrown Advil into the crate that I had made to ship it.  There is no way that was done on accident with where it was located in the crate.

I know it was out of warranty (which is only a year IIRC) but the whole experience just made me lose interest in any of their commercial products.

I used to be an avid fan of theirs but now I will just keep and use my RL550B (which I love) but I doubt I will buy another press from them.

My main gripes with the S1050B though had more to do with how I reload.  I do mix brass so the swaging was especially useless to me.  I also didn't find that I could effectively take advantage of the downstroke priming since you can't feel how the primer is seating.  Overall the press was just too complicated and expensive (initial cost and for parts/spares) for me to justify considering how much I load.  I would need to be loading at least 5K rounds per month before I'd consider buying it again.

I loaded 1500rds of 9mm recently in 3 evenings (5 hours total) without any issues on the RL550B so I would have to be shooting A LOT for me to consider even stepping up to the XL650 much less the S1050B.
View Quote
I have also picked up both of mine used. I didn't have near the issue that jlficken had. What sold me on the 1050 was just the price, my brother in law showed me a deal on Backpage and had a guy wanting $1200 for a 1050, complete and had 2 full conversions, one for 223 and one for 45. Plus some odds and ends thrown in as well.

The only trouble I had was detonating primers in the tube, but that was because I was a dumbass. I didn't realize there was large and small primer 45 ACP. Cram a large primer into a small primer pocket and boom. I didn't have the swage set up and running as all I was loading was commercial brass and no crimps.

Luckily for me, Dillon is 20 minutes away and even though my machine was used and well over a year old, because the priming system is a safety item, they replaced them free of charge.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a 650 and I kick myself frequently for not just buying a 1050 because it swages the primer pockets for you and sorting brass looking for crimps sucks.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Exactly the reason I purchased Mine. Having problems with My hands, I can just dump brass in the top, and de-prime, swage, size/trim, expand all in one pass. Can even just flip a switch and automate it as well, though seems like the 650 is now a good candidate for automation as well.

I have also been working on a little "Invention" that will really make brass handling much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
well you need to realize that the 1050 does not come with both priming systems....and they are about 115 bucks.  Then a toolhead is a north of 200.  And, you have a good portion of another press paid for....
The xl650 would be a better value.......
View Quote
I didn’t realize that the 1050 only comes with one priming system.  That sort of explains why folks will buy two of them, and dedicate one for small and the other for large primers.  But from what I’ve read, the changeover, while kinda time consuming, isn’t particularly challenging.

This extra cost still doesn’t deter me from seriously considering a 1050 - in the future.  If I’m going to spend $500 for a bullet feeder in one caliber, an extra $115 isn’t a big deal.  And for a limited number of calibers, the toolheads “should” be worth buying.

All of this is assuming that I’ll have the time to load a butt-load of rounds at a time.  That time, and the money to buy and feed a machine with the capacity of a Super 1050 are both not quite within reach at the moment...
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Since I have two 550's and they do everything I need, I can't see ever upgrading.

I doubt very many people need a 1050 to feed their firearm needs. At over $2000 it's not like an impulse purchase.

You really have to do the math to understand whether it's worth it or not. I only shoot 3-4k a year. That represents a casual month or so in my basement every winter reloading my brass. Rarely more than 300 to 400 in an evening. Time spent switching calibers and so on. I won't work on it every day.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a used one with a 223 and 45 ACP conversion.  I set it up for 223 and absolutely love it for the primer pocket swager alone.  I have had it for two years and have made my money back 2 or 3 times.

I loaded some match 69 grain ammo with TAC on it last year and shot sub MOA out of my accurized 223 bolt action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top