Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2020 8:40:42 PM EDT
Whats the best (most idiotproof/reliable) .22LR upper / magazine combination for an M16 lower ?
Full auto capable of course.
Yes I saw the thread on the CMMG upper and magazine problems so was looking for a sure fire reliable alternative.
I have an unfired military kit.
Are they OK ?
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Whats the best (most idiotproof/reliable) .22LR upper / magazine combination for an M16 lower ?
Full auto capable of course.
Yes I saw the thread on the CMMG upper and magazine problems so was looking for a sure fire reliable alternative.
Are they OK ?
View Quote

To the best of my knowledge, the .22 conversions adopted by the U.S. military (Army and Air Force adopted different units) are not capable of full auto operation without modification(s) or the presence of a malfunction of some sort.

Best of luck.  MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are they OK ?
View Quote

The military kits are not FA capable, as noted.

If you have a genuine factory full auto, like a real Colt M16, the CMMG or older Spikes or Ciener conversions, with the proper full auto parts, are pretty damn reliable.

I've never had an issue with my Ciener, CMMG, Black Dog or S&W M&P15-22 magazines. It's always been dead nuts reliable for me in my factory FA, and was always iffy in my conversion AR-15 lower. Using it with a DIAS was a crapshoot, though I could find combinations that worked well for a particular afternoon. It pretty much always goes back on the factory lower if I want it FA and I want it reliable.

Nothing in 22 full auto is 100% surefire reliable - too much variation in the ammo, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the better mag adapter that allows me to use S&W magazines, including drum magazines.

My gun runs like a top.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Dedicated Cmmg upper with a .22LR barrel and the full auto trip.
Better mag adapter for M&P 15-22 mags.
Use good ammo like mini mags.
Keep it clean!

Will run like a top.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I  have a M231,  runs great,   not had any issues with the 10 round mag inserts ,  but not full auto

I have a Ceiner kit that runs like a top on full auto,
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#6]
This (CMMG 9" barrel and bolt/frame/collar assembly, etc. on a generic AR upper receiver):

with the only modification being "throating" the bottom lip of the chamber like so:

has worked great.

With respect to M&P .22 mags - I have never used them but at least one ARFCOMMER has reported that with use, the mag lips wore out; and they have therefore, switched to BDM mags with steel lips.

Best of luck with whatever you pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a short piecemealed CMMG mixmaster upper. ( I forget just how short - maybe 8"? ) The last time I decided to beat my head against a wall with it, I got mixed results. Oddly, it seems to run FA with a suppressor, but not with a brake or bare.

I need to get it back out to the range sometime with another can and test it some more.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the responses.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top