Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2023 5:32:40 PM EDT
So I bought a handful of Leeks (2 run of the mill stainless blems for my boys, a D2 composite blade for me) from KershawGuy and in short order one of my gorillas broke a tip.

I’ll send it to Kershaw!

But no, blems don’t qualify for the blade replacement.

Bummer.

I’m thinking I’ll toss it on the grinder and make a short blade work bench beater out of it. I’m no expert at such things, and I’m sure that it’ll be uglier than a home made suit when I’m done.

That the best I can do aside from tossing it? They were cheap enough, so no biggie but still…….

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Were it mine, I would grind it into a 'quasi-tanto' shape and call it good.

YMMV

https://i.postimg.cc/dVwMFT96/quasi-tanto-2.jpg
View Quote

Wharncliffe “reverse tanto” would give you an option that’s become fashionable.  Go slow with grinding/cool with water due to heat production:

https://blademag.com/folding-knives/the-best-wharncliffe-options
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:05:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#5]
All good ideas.

The leek already had a reverse tanto.

Osprey's is probably a better proactive option so your gorilla doesn't break off the tip again as easily.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wharncliffe “reverse tanto” would give you an option that’s become fashionable.  Go slow with grinding/cool with water due to heat production:

https://blademag.com/folding-knives/the-best-wharncliffe-options
I like it.

I have a couple S30V partial serrated Wharncliffe Leeks—used to be my carry knife before autos became legal in my state.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]

That’s a Wharncliffe profile, if the top edge of your photo represents the new bevel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys.

Dray85 had the idea that I was looking for, but I don’t know if I have a steady enough hand for that!

Maybe that wharncliff idea could work.

But I suck on the grinder, so it could be a tanto!
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Before I got a belt sander, I reprofiled a broken tip with one of those Lanskys sharpeners that keep the angle set. Took a while but came ok and never got hot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

Dray85 had the idea that I was looking for, but I don’t know if I have a steady enough hand for that!

Maybe that wharncliff idea could work.

But I suck on the grinder, so it could be a tanto!
View Quote

If you do that, just make sure the tip does not stick out of the handle when closed.

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Haha yeah it was easier for me to crop out the part of the blade that I would grind off, than try to figure out photoshop or try to describe the angle. The angle of the blade in the pic was already aligned with how I pictured reprofiling it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a Wharncliffe profile, if the top edge of your photo represents the new bevel.

Haha yeah it was easier for me to crop out the part of the blade that I would grind off, than try to figure out photoshop or try to describe the angle. The angle of the blade in the pic was already aligned with how I pictured reprofiling it.

And—since i don’t know how to photoshop—you’re pic tech still outshined my no-tech!
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#15]
When reprofiling a folder from the edge, up, mark where the handle covers when the knife is closed. Otherwise you risk having an exposed tip.  

Grinding away material from the spine, down, is generally the best bet. No risk of exposed tip, and you won't have to completely regrind your primary bevel at the tip.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Were it mine, I would grind it into a 'quasi-tanto' shape and call it good.

YMMV

https://i.postimg.cc/dVwMFT96/quasi-tanto-2.jpg
View Quote

A client gave my crew Leeks as Christmas gifts once and one of my guys snapped his tip shortly after. He did a small tanto tip to repair it and is really happy with it.  He can use it like a chisel edge to clean up joints now.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 2:23:10 AM EDT
[#17]
A Leek has a profile almost guaranteed to damage the tip if you use it hard - mine are box cutters and letter openers, pocket X-acto knives.  Spyderco Delica is more useful but not as cool looking - I have copper scale and carbon fiber scale Leeks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I've done a couple similar to this.

Attachment Attached File

Basically just blend the spine down to meet the edge at an angle or curve that looks good to you and give it back to the kid.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife busted the tip on a Leek I had. Shaped it a little with a dremel sharpened it to where matched the rest of the blade and gave it to a friend.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top