Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2020 8:25:26 PM EDT
I had this passed down to me my great uncle in 1999-2000 when I was 10 or so. He got it from his uncle who had in turn received it from an uncle. Or so that was the story within my family. Not interested in selling it. Strictly just curious.

I remember this being around and coming out during family get togethers for as long as I can remember. It used to live in a utility closet and was not cared for. My mother and I handed it over to Albrights Gun Shop in Easton Maryland a few years back to have it cleaned up under the agreement we did not want to pay out the nose to have it fully restored into firing condition but we also would not rush them and hound them for progress updates, just to simply keep it safe and to give us a shout when it was ready. When dropping it off they asked my mom "how much do you want for it" we were never offered a number... and we made it clear it is a family heirloom and will never be for sale. I stand by this but i've always been curious.

Attached are pictures of it as well as pictures of a writeup done on it by an old friend of my moms that is an antique firearm enthusiast. I am redacting his name only because I don't want to put his info out there not sure if he still does this as a side gig but he did the write-up in 2002.

I will try and edit some of the photos tonight that seem to always flip themselves one way or another with this image host.

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a neat looking rifle. When I first saw it I was guessing it was a 36 caliber. It says 41. I wonder if the original was corroded out and instead of a new barrel they just cut new deeper rifling in it

It looks to originally been a flintlock and converted to percussion.  That was my guess also, just by looking at the fit of the stock to the barrel and the nipple.

Without a maker and with so many changes to it, I personally, wouldn't be able to guess what it would be worth.

The best bet would be to contact some place like Track of the Wolf and see if they know of someone who can appraise it.

There is also a Black Powder section just above this.  They may be able to tell you much more as there are some very knowledgeable people on there
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
not sure on the flint to percussion conversion,  
need a few better pics to be sure one way or the other,

missing wood at the lock,
split on the other side ,

hammer screw is a replacement ,

I would post these pics over on gunboards in the smoke pole section,

some good folks there, that know their stuff (unfortunately, one such wealth of knowledge passed last year)

the drop of the stock is a common trait on some of these rifles made in certain regions,  those folks may be able to pinpoint that for you

Link Posted: 12/11/2020 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe this member can help.
@sq40
sq40@
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 4:40:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe this member can help.
@sq40
sq40@
View Quote

It’s a very nice rifle, better and more ornate than many.

Unfortunately, I never got deep enough in to old rifles to be able to date or value them.  

They are very cool though and there should be a couple of guys on here that can help.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Since you’re not trying to sell it I feel better about SWAGing a guess.

Kentuckys/Jaeger/other civilian percussion weapons can be notoriously hard to reliably “assess” outside primo condition, a known desirable maker, established provenance, etc.

The other thing is the market is really localized as well. BP weapons have been stagnant in value for a few years as well.

In working condition, I’d guess 1800-2200, non-working 900-1400.

I’ll show the pics to another guy and get his input as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top