Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2018 10:37:40 AM EDT
Shot my new-to me(read used) acr yesterday. Experienced roughly 1/5 rounds failing to eject. Almost 100% of these was the fired case stuck in action, often riding up and over the next round. The ejection pattern was slightly erratic as well.

Tried it with three different types of ammo - Mild 55 sp handloads, american eagle and finally hornady superformance. All three experienced similar failure rates.

Rifle looks to have fired around 1000 rounds before me, was rebarreled with a green mountain blank to 18.5" (Canadian minimum length for non-restricted)
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds overgassed or not assembled correctly by the previous owner.  Who did the barrel work? A machine shop or an actual builder?

Try this.  Switch it to s mode and see if it runs.  If so it’s overgassed

If it was consistent ejection I’d say replace the brass deflector with a v2 and do the ejector and extractor springs
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:26:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds overgassed or not assembled correctly by the previous owner.  Who did the barrel work? A machine shop or an actual builder?

Try this.  Switch it to s mode and see if it runs.  If so it’s overgassed

If it was consistent ejection I’d say replace the brass deflector with a v2 and do the ejector and extractor springs
View Quote
Thanks Bigdog - it was what I'd consider a combination of builder and machine shop - they do a lot of work on all different types of firearms, but i'm pretty sure they do know their way around the acr as they do a fair number of them.

overgassing was my first thought, brass deflector, ejector/extractor is my hope..

I'll give the "s" setting a go and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Any update OP?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine did the same thing when over gassed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any update OP?
View Quote
I haven't been able to get out a fire out sadly.

after doing some digging and it seems these "builders" may have just used ar barrels with too large of gas ports.

I've since parted ways with the rifle to a new owner, who is well aware of the issues and will give it the time of day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top