Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2019 11:16:03 AM EDT
I don't know anything about knives.  I carry a Griptilian that guys here on ARF advised me to get years ago and its worked fine.

However, my buddy down in Oklahoma has quite a collection of knives.  Most of them big fancy knives and such.  I know, once upon a time, he was messing with making his own knives and I'm not sure if he still does.
I'm not sure if he qualifies as a blade aficionado or not but he is certainly a "knife guy".

I wanted to get him a GOOD knife for his birthday.  A folder that will hopefully become his "go to" knife for some time to come.  Something that will become his EDC.  Not something to hang on the wall or sit in a case, but something he will USE, appreciate, and think of this gift from his brother each time he needs it.  I want this to be from a knife maker that a "knife guy" will likely recognize, appreciate, and respect the quality.  Something that he would likely not be able to afford to get for himself.  I'm not looking for something just from Benchmade or Spyderco.  I'm sure he has tons of those.  I couldn't tell you what blade type or option as I'd have no idea.

I know that GOOD knives are not cheap.  I'm looking to spend from $200 somewhere up to around $500-$600 tops.  I'd need to have it ordered and arrived within a week or two so it can't be something custom with wait time.

What would you recommend?  Where would you recommend I order from online?

Thanks in advance for the advice, help, and opinions :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Chris Reeve Sebenza
Link Posted: 4/24/2019 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Benchmade 940

You’re welcome......

/Thread

*Edit*

I like BladeHQ, KnifeCenter, and one other that escapes me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Knife guys can be particular.

I’m a knife guy and I’ve never had anyone give me a knife I liked.

Maybe a gift certificate from one of the online venders might be a better idea.

For vendors

GPknives is my favorite but also BladeHQ, knifecenter.

Cutlery Shop can have some nice but hard to find knives. They are usually pricey though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chris Reeve Sebenza
View Quote
That whole FPNI thing....S35V and quality.  You could get him the smaller version and it will become a daily carry blade.  My wife bought me a large, which is too large for daily carry, unless you use a belt sheath.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Knife guys can be particular.

I’m a knife guy and I’ve never had anyone give me a knife I liked.
View Quote
This is definitely true.

Although my mom once got me a spyderco paramilitary 2 for Christmas that I love.

Even though I'm a knife guy, there are tons of very expensive,  quality blades that I wouldn't be caught dead with.

That being said, you probably know enough about your buddy to make an educated guess as to what he'd like.

What I would do is go to BladeHQ's website and browse the folders in your price range, something will jump out at you.

ETA: I do not care for the Chris Reeve Sebenza, personally.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 3:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice & recommendations.

I went with the Chris Reeve Sebenza.  Alot of guys who are into knives that I asked made the same recommendation.  After researching it and reading about it online, folks seem to say its built like a bank vault and is quality and strong.

My buddy will likely be familiar with Chris Reeve knives and that Sebenza sounds perfect for him and I truly hope he'll love it and that it will become his "go to".

Thanks again :)
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Chris Reeve Sebenza
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my Sebenza.

Knivesshipfree.com is usually who I use
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Get him a Sebenza 21. My carbon fiber 21 is my edc and my favorite knife that I own. They make some pretty sweet damascus bladed ones too. Look at Knife Art or Knives Ship Free.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top