Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2018 5:18:07 PM EDT
I was looking at getting a new/better 223 seating die.  I want to be more consistent with my overall length and runout.  I was looking at the Redding and Forster but am open to other options too.

What's your favorite seating die?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was looking at getting a new/better 223 seating die.  I want to be more consistent with my overall length and bullet/case alignment.  I was looking at the Redding and Forster but am open to other options too.

View Quote
Haven't used it yet so take this with a grain of salt..  after mucho research for the .300, it seemed the favorite out there from a cost/quality perspective was the Hornady with the micrometer adjustment option.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my redding competition seater in .223 but I don't have any other ones to compare it to other than a forster ultra seater in .45acp. I will say it has repeatable precise seating and ive never had a single issue in 2- 3000 reloads
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Forster's Ultra followed closely by Redding's Competition. Both have the same design and .001" micrometer seating settings.

The Forster is cheaper, which makes it better.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Forster Ultra.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Forster and Redding are very similar and both very high quality. I have several forster ultimate seating dies.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:49:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Forster's Ultra followed closely by Redding's Competition. Both have the same design and .001" micrometer seating settings.

The Forster is cheaper, which makes it better.
View Quote
Love the Forster Ultra!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have any favorites. I get good results with all of them.

Motor
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 9:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Prefer the Redding comp seating die, as it gave more concentric results in the one caliber I could afford to compare. It also held up a little better when accidently compressed some charges.  Foerster a close second, considerably less expensive and available in more calibers (at least last time I looked).    While a micro seater dial is handy, it adds to expense and not really necessary.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Haven't used it yet so take this with a grain of salt..  after mucho research for the .300, it seemed the favorite out there from a cost/quality perspective was the Hornady with the micrometer adjustment option.
View Quote
I just got one of these recently and put it to work this weekend.

Loaded 175 rnds with one bullet and 75 with another 10 with another.

The speed & ease of adjustment is outstanding.

I like the floating bullet guide also.

Downsides the micrometer is not click adjustable it's some sort of tension fit.  The markings appear to be on a sticker /wrap .

I'm not sure how durable these methods are but i doubt hornady is going out of business and i've always heard they will take care of any issues.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Redding Competition and it works excellent. No marks on the bullet and OAL is consistent.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have a favorite, but I've recently started using Wilson hand dies with a Wilson arbor press. My Wilson seating dies are the micrometer adjustment types. I'm liking them so far.

Using this style of die, you're more pushing the bullet into the supported case rather than pushing the case onto the bullet.

(Not my pic)

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I have Redding Competition Seating dies.  They have been flawless.

When changing bullets (for example, 155-168-175-190 and back), you can dial in the setting from the last use and it will be exactly there, every time.  Yes, you should still check.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:37:29 AM EDT
[#13]
It depends on the level of accuracy you are looking for and how much time you will devote per cartridge.

Redding Competition for fast

Wilson micrometer for best

Using a precision seater to seat a bullet in a case that is not worth the effort. I use neck bushing dies with either.

For a blaster AR15, standard dies are fine. I use Redding.

That being said, the Redding competition seater is convenient when making small adjustments. I used one on a Dillion 550. Go figure.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, now I have a question.

The Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension .300AAC seating die I ordered got lost in the mail.

Was about to order another, but I see now that this die also puts a roll crimp on, which I don't want. I have a Lee FCD that I plan to use to put a very light taper crimp on for neck tension consistency. Can this seating die be backed out to stop the roll crimp and still do a good job of properly seating the bullet?  Or should I go with another die? I already have the Hornady micrometer add on for it. Just use a different die?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The choice is based on the cartridge if available from Forster then Forster then otherwise Redding.
A Wilson Chamber seater is nice too, but you need an arbor press to use.

In the end it is the reloader and his/her technique that is the biggest variable.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well, now I have a question.

The Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension .300AAC seating die I ordered got lost in the mail.

Was about to order another, but I see now that this die also puts a roll crimp on, which I don't want. I have a Lee FCD that I plan to use to put a very light taper crimp on for neck tension consistency. Can this seating die be backed out to stop the roll crimp and still do a good job of properly seating the bullet?  Or should I go with another die? I already have the Hornady micrometer add on for it. Just use a different die?
View Quote
I have one of those Hornady seaters.  It is in a totally different (lower) category than the Redding seaters.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It depends on the level of accuracy you are looking for and how much time you will devote per cartridge.
Using a precision seater to seat a bullet in a case that is not worth the effort. I use neck bushing dies with either.
That being said, the Redding competition seater is convenient when making small adjustments. I used one on a Dillion 550. Go figure.
View Quote
I want to disagree with these assertions and limitations but am not sure how to do so.  I'm not wanting to say he's wrong, just that he's too limited in his thinking about the roles for each of these dies.

For instance, the Redding SHINES when you change bullets, have to make a major adjustment to seat the new bullet properly, then go back to the original via another LARGE adjustment.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have one of those Hornady seaters.  It is in a totally different (lower) category than the Redding seaters.
View Quote
Thank you. I looked at the Redding and I might go that route for my .270 Sako, but the .300's I have are an SBR and AR pistol and I don't need super precision. Those Reddings are SPENDY. Instead, I ordered a Forster Ultra. Those are only KIND of spendy..   Good reviews for the Forster, I hope I'll like it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I almost went with the Wilson seater but wanted a press mounting design.  I ended up ordering a Forster mic seater die.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The one that came with my RCBS 223 die set in 1979.  Never had a reason to not love it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want to disagree with these assertions and limitations but am not sure how to do so.  I'm not wanting to say he's wrong, just that he's too limited in his thinking about the roles for each of these dies.

For instance, the Redding SHINES when you change bullets, have to make a major adjustment to seat the new bullet properly, then go back to the original via another LARGE adjustment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the civil manner in which you expressed yourself.

I agree that the Redding competition excels when changing bullets and going back to the original bullet.

It was not my intent was to convey that the application for these dies is limited, it merely reflects how I use them. I usually settle in on a bullet and load and stick with it.

For example I have two loading for my 6BR. I use a Redding competition in a C press for one and the Wilson micrometer in an arbor press for the other so that I don't have to change the settings but if I need to make a small adjustment I can easily do so. Unlike with a non-micrometer die which is a PITA when making small adjustments and like starting over again when changing from one bullet to another and back.

I recently got a PMA micrometer die adjuster to use with a body die for shoulder bumping.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The one that came with my RCBS 223 die set in 1979.  Never had a reason to not love it.
View Quote
Does anyone know if the RCBS and/or the Forster Ultra seats by the ogive?  I have an RCBS because it came as a set, and I only wanted the RCBS AR small base sizer. So now I have both a Forster and an RCBS seater, and I'm thinking of setting one for my 220gr Lapua subs and the other for my plastic tipped 110gr Varmageddons, which I would think would be better off to seat by the ogive?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Does anyone know if the RCBS and/or the Forster Ultra seats by the ogive?  I have an RCBS because it came as a set, and I only wanted the RCBS AR small base sizer. So now I have both a Forster and an RCBS seater, and I'm thinking of setting one for my 220gr Lapua subs and the other for my plastic tipped 110gr Varmageddons, which I would think would be better off to seat by the ogive?
View Quote
I have the Forster Ultra Seater in both .223 and .308, both contact the ogive and not the tip on SMK's and TMK's. Your results may vary with other bullets or calibers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:19:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have the Forster Ultra Seater in both .223 and .308, both contact the ogive and not the tip on SMK's and TMK's. Your results may vary with other bullets or calibers.
View Quote
Same...

I check each round for runout on a sinclair concentricity gauge and have not had any rounds outside +/-0.004". Most are +/- 0.002" or less.
Can't say anything about those other seating dies since I haven't tried them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I switched from Lee to Hornady and am very happy with the end result. The Lee die, no matter what I did, gave me inconsistent over all length. Switched to the Hornady dies and am VERY happy with the end result. Once the seating die is set, it just doesn't vary. I don't load for super duper 500 yard bench rest accuracy, so to purchase an expensive die would be money wasted as I am just not that good a shot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Redding Competition.

I have them in both AI and standard.

The sliding sleeve was not hardened (might still be soft) and easily reamed for AI.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Just picked up the Forster ultra micrometer for grendel. I'm loving it, very consistent and easy to use.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Hornady if you want to go cheap, Redding if you want high end
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top