Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2022 7:41:08 PM EDT

I got these from a guy at range who knew a guy who died. Said they’d been in a garage for years. I’ve been using them because they go bang. But these I just got out seem to be the worst. CCI550
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Do they go bang?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do they go bang?
View Quote

Read the post lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
REALLY old? Degraded from no climate control?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Just looks like they were in an open container underneath where he was trimming brass cases?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
REALLY old? Degraded from no climate control?
View Quote

Very old. You should see the box. It’s like they’re decomposing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Cardboard fibers from the rotting box?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#7]
OP:
IMHO....... you answered your own question:
".....Very old. You should see the box. It’s like they’re decomposing......."
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just looks like they were in an open container underneath where he was trimming brass cases?
View Quote

Nope. Definitely not brass shavings. It looks like part of the compound inside the primer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP:
IMHO....... you answered your own question:
".....Very old. You should see the box. It’s like they’re decomposing......."
View Quote

Yea I mean I know what caused it. Just curious if anyone knows anything about it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
the priming compound is flaking out.   If you continue to use these I recommend hand priming one at a time otherwise the risk is a kaboom using any other method.  A primer tube full of them is essentially a small pipe bomb
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Weird, so that's the foil/paper disc falling apart? Or the priming compound? Have you taken one apart?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#13]
To me, the flakes look to be corn cob or other fibrous media.

To me, it does NOT look like priming compound.

I would "dust them off" (decontaminate them) and use them.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Collect a very small amount of the debris.  Put it in/on a paper plate and put a long match to it.

If it pops, its priming material.  If it burns or won't burn, it is just debris.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Stored in to high of humidity. I have seen it before and tried using some like that. They consistently hang fired.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Collect a very small amount of the debris.  Put it in/on a paper plate and put a long match to it.

If it pops, its priming material.  If it burns or won't burn, it is just debris.
View Quote

This. If it is priming compound you have a potentially dangerous pile of trash.

But I’m not seeing how such large flakes of priming compound could get out from under the anvils. My wager would be debris. Are they in the old wooden trays? Almost looks like sawdust from wooden trays coming apart.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. If it is priming compound you have a potentially dangerous pile of trash.

But I’m not seeing how such large flakes of priming compound could get out from under the anvils. My wager would be debris. Are they in the old wooden trays? Almost looks like sawdust from wooden trays coming apart.
View Quote

I was wondering if the guy was a wood working, almost looks like sawdust to me too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#18]
A total guess on my part -

The original owner dropped some corn cob polishing media on a box of primers and the smaller bits infiltrated the boxes as he tried to uncover them and clean them off.

Simply blowing off the debris and inspecting the little pellet of priming compound would tell the tale.

Of course, the OP's decomposing packaging could easily be the culprit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I would have to put them in the lab to tell you what caused this, but your primers appear to have been exposed to something reactive.

I cannot give you any advice without inspecting them in person, but I recommend you send this photo to the OEM customer service folks and take their advice.

If you have much of that debris, be vary careful with it till you can tell for sure if it is the compound or not.

Since you asked, I am leaning towards giving you a very negative opinion based on some of the ones where the cups look discolored or tarnished, but that will be better served by the OEM.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:35:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Read the post lol
View Quote

I did
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:05:46 AM EDT
[#21]
I have no real answer.  Just guessing damaged from heat and age.  Would say just for blasting.. wouldn't think it would be dangerous just maybe duds.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#22]
perhaps the packaging material looks like it crumbled....
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#23]
The primer compound is very unstable. I would make sure you dispose of any loose powder.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#24]
when they make primers they add the primer mix, then a paper cover, then the anvil. Looks like the paper is dry rotted and coming apart.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, it's probably time to end this guessing game and have the OP tell us what he knows or has found out about this condition.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Those don't look as bad as some that I got that were very old.  From the same lot, one flat had about 10% that almost all of the explosive had fallen out of.  The rest of the lot looked completely normal.  I took the entire flat of 100 and tossed it into a raging fire pit.  Wear eye protection.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well, it's probably time to end this guessing game and have the OP tell us what he knows or has found out about this condition.
View Quote

All I know is that they are really old and were not stored properly, now there is yellow powder/flakes all over them. It sounds like if it is compound powder, I should not keep them inside of the house. It looks like maybe something was spilled on the box that reacted with it. These hadn’t been opened until I opened them…definitely not a foreign material like sawdust.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a small round piece of paper placed between the anvil and the priming compound.

Looks like due to high heat and humidity that paper is decomposing.

Compound seems to still be good. Use them up for plinking loads. Don't trust them for anything else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#30]
As others note, this the priming compound turning friable and coming out.  They may well still run - for the shots tested so far, but It means the primers aren't going to be prestine new in behavior, so I wouldn't use these in anything important.  It also means that material is going to be loose and around, so have a care on cleaning things out like primer tubes and primer shuttles.  Not only could they potentially help transport a chain-reaction into other aspects of the equipment, but they could also help initiate a spark, if whacked.  

Personally, I'd run them, but I'd get them into practice rounds sooner rather than later. And do a wipe down of whatever equipment they touch every hundred or so.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
the priming compound is flaking out.   If you continue to use these I recommend hand priming one at a time otherwise the risk is a kaboom using any other method.  A primer tube full of them is essentially a small pipe bomb
View Quote

Yea I had prime all of my brass. Work on a single stage
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holy shit. It’s definitely primer compound lmao. Just scared the shit out of myself.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Holy shit. It’s definitely primer compound lmao. Just scared the shit out of myself.
View Quote

No laughing matter, you have a dangerous pile of trash there. Not sure what to do with them, but even simple handling is reckless. I would certainly make no effort to open any more of the factory packaging and I would minimize handling of that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is a small round piece of paper placed between the anvil and the priming compound.

Looks like due to high heat and humidity that paper is decomposing.

Compound seems to still be good. Use them up for plinking loads. Don't trust them for anything else.
View Quote

^^^^^

Notice CCI priming compounds can be a different color from different eras.
According to CCI CS the compound color is the same it is the protective cover that varies in color and as stated more than once this seems to be deteriorating which is causing the flaking
If you load some and they works as usual they are OK
If you find any variation in use discard them, not worth the risk
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No laughing matter, you have a dangerous pile of trash there. Not sure what to do with them, but even simple handling is reckless. I would certainly make no effort to open any more of the factory packaging and I would minimize handling of that.
View Quote

Because of toxicity or flammable/explosive?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I did say a very small amount, certainly much less than a primer's worth - just enough to present a signature.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Explosive.

Not horrible dangerous in a small quantity, but I wouldn't hold a handful to pound with a hammer.

This is case where I would be conservative and dispose of the primers.  A fire is an option at my place.  Tossing a few at a time into a deep river would be okay.  They could be seated into brass, then fired without gunpowder or a bullet; more work, but it's only one card of primers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because of toxicity or flammable/explosive?
Explosive.

Not horrible dangerous in a small quantity, but I wouldn't hold a handful to pound with a hammer.

This is case where I would be conservative and dispose of the primers.  A fire is an option at my place.  Tossing a few at a time into a deep river would be okay.  They could be seated into brass, then fired without gunpowder or a bullet; more work, but it's only one card of primers.

Or just run them, with awareness of extra handling care while processing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#39]
<snip> this a technical forum, please don't post bad advice like what happens in GD, general discussion. Even with a disclaimer. dryflash3 They will be fine.

***just kidding DO NOT DO THAT
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I’m going to empty out all the containers and expose of the explosive compound. They give me good SD’s so I’m going to keep using them, just going to be extra cautious.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I’m going to empty out all the containers and expose of the explosive compound. .
View Quote

I don't know what that means - but please don't dump them out into a mason jar.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#42]
The thing that makes primers stable is that the factory isolates the explosive into metal cups while it is wet.

What you have isn’t wet and isn’t in the metal cups. It doesn’t take much high explosive to irreparably damage or remove body parts that you will miss. I know primers are hard to come by, but… consider the risk vs. reward carefully.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:56:30 AM EDT
[#43]
About 4oz of primer compound is equal to a stick of dynamite. It is not a good idea to put too much of it too close together.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#44]
IMHO, the paper has dry rotted and that's what the flakes and dust are that you are seeing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Dispose of them, is it really worth an unintended discharge should the deterioration cause increased sensitivity?  I of course do not know that is a possibility but I consider it as a worst case scenario.  Ie hitting a bolt release or slide or whatever and getting a kaboom.

When there is doubt, there is no doubt. [/Sam]

i would toss them in one of my brush fires or simply bury them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't know what that means - but please don't dump them out into a mason jar.
View Quote

Was going to dump them out into a bucket of water
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
IMHO, the paper has dry rotted and that's what the flakes and dust are that you are seeing.
View Quote

I tested a small amount. It exploded when I stuck a match to it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Was going to dump them out into a bucket of water
View Quote

Just remember this, if/when they dry out, they will once again be explosive.

Water does NOT make them permanently inert.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I started reloading back in the mid 1970s .

A couple of years back a friend of a friend (at least ) died and I got some primers.

I could tell from the boxes they were older than when I started reloading. Something was said about a old barn or shed and I believe it as the cardboard had mouse turds and water staining throughout.

Price was right (free) so I used them up in practice loads but I tracked them pretty close and all worked just fine.

My point is the stuff the OP has seems worse than that and looks ready to be slowly tossed into a burn barrel or campfire
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top