Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2021 1:41:37 AM EDT
It seems to add expense, bulk, weight, and limits holster options. Should I keep a light on my pistol for a " " "Go to war" " " setup?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of pistol light? Something like a TLR7 does not change the pistol's bulk in my opinion.

Adding another light source with arguably no negatives seems like a win win.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:59:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you going to war?
Do you have your rifle with a light on it all the time?

For me, a light on a pistol is used far more than a light on a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of pistol light? Something like a TLR7 does not change the pistol's bulk in my opinion.

Adding another light source with arguably no negatives seems like a win win.
View Quote

I have TLR-1's.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you going to war?
Do you have your rifle with a light on it all the time?

For me, a light on a pistol is used far more than a light on a rifle.
View Quote

God willing, I will never point or fire a gun at a human being.

I have a lot of pistols. In this case I'm thinking specifically of a pistol on a war belt, worn in conjunction with armor and a rifle. Not talking about a bedside pistol, or a concealed carry.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Good idea to have if you need to clear tight spaces or if your primary weapon fails.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Let me ask you this: If your primary weapon (rifle w/ light) is down and you've transitioned to your pistol, is the weapon light on your rifle any good at all to you in that situation?

You'll want a light on any weapon you're going to use IMHO. It's only useful on a weapon that you're actually using.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:24:20 AM EDT
[#7]
A follow up question. If a light is used, are night sights desirable?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:04:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

For me, yes.  Carry weapon and go to war weapon.  Range toys i dont care.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:15:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It seems to add expense, bulk, weight, and limits holster options. Should I keep a light on my pistol for a " " "Go to war" " " setup?
View Quote
so when it's dark and your rifle doesn't work for whatever reason (jammed, out of ammo, whatever), are you going to use your rifle light or your handheld flashlight in conjunction with your pistol to properly identify targets?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#10]
All the same reasons to want a light on a rifle also apply for a pistol.

The need to know what you're pointing your gun at and to have as much information about what's going on before you aim and shoot doesn't change depending on what kind of weapon you're using.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Generally yes. Some people say they don't like it or don't need it, but your flashlight doesn't illuminate your sights, and if it's dark enough that you need to use a light then it's probably dark enough that you could use some help seeing your sights.

This changes if you have a red dot, however. Everything I'm about to say is a matter of perspective and preference, so bear in mind that other more experienced people may have a different position on this than me, but I don't like when a pistol has both night sights and a red dot. I've found that it makes my sight picture feel cluttered. I didn't like having other glowing dots competing for my eye's attention with the dot that I actually want to aim with.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't typically CCW with a light on my gun because I'm not typically places that get dark. I have young kids and we're home by night more often than not. No longer in malls or movie theaters so the need to conceal and live my life beats the need to carry a big annoying light on a gun.

HOWEVER, if I'm in my war belt set up, it means shit is bad. I am likely wearing armor and carrying a rifle. Discretion/concealment is no longer the issue and I want every option at my disposal. So the war belt gun has a light.

I also like options. If my pistol has a light, I have the option to use it or not. If I don't have the light, I'm really out of options about using it.

I'm on the fence about night sights personally. The best I've seen is that they help you find the gun bedside at night. There are very few situations where you can see the glow of the sights AND your target is lit up enough to identify. This was a bigger deal when weapon lights were shitty but blasting something with 1k lumens in close seems to wash out sights and leave you with an outline. At least they do for me. So now I'm happy with almost any sight configuration, and personally like FO in more shooting situations so that's the default.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#13]
IBTP

All fighting guns should have a light, IMHO
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#14]
If it's on an overt rig like a war belt there's no reason not to have a light.

As far as night sights go I don't find them necessary but a lot of people like them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Glock 19 w/TLR7

Bedside gun, CCW, go to war gun, competition gun

Attachment Attached File

Hopefully soon it will be my security job gun
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#16]
It's dark.....a lot.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#17]
What are your thoughts on 'lumen' rating for the pistol light?   Is there too much (i.e. 1000) in your opinon?

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have both.  

You do you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IBTP

All fighting guns should have a light, IMHO
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on 'lumen' rating for the pistol light?   Is there too much (i.e. 1000) in your opinon?

View Quote

Super bright lights in small rooms like a bathroom sucks but its great if outside.  Gotta pick your poison.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Every single one of my sidearms has a light, from CCW only weapons to my go-to-war G17, as do 2/3 of my fighting rifles. My SCAR doesn't, but it's set up as a DMR (still might grab a Modlite OKW for it, because lightsaber).
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Ok, let's run this down by the numbers.

1.) Should a fighting handgun have a light?

Emphatically yes. And a fighting long guns should have a light. And you should still have a handheld light. Light is a tool, uses include PID, searching,  enhanced situational awareness, and sometimes a non-lethal use of force or temporary distraction device. Have it always.

2.) Do I need night sights on a gun with a light?

I believe so. There are places that you may not need to hit white light and expose yourself but are in darkness too dark to outline your sights. Its a niche scenario but a real one nonetheless. I run dots on all my primary fighting handguns which replaced nightsights utility for me. That said they still serve a purpose, they help me find the pistol quickly on the nightstand without light.

3.) Is there such a thing as "too bright" or "too much light"?

Yes, if you don't know what your doing. Light is a tool which requires training to use effectively. I have been trained, I trained others. I use light professionally most patrol shifts because I work at night and most of my SWAT work is during hours of reduced or diminished light. So for me and mine, no... there's no such things as too bright or too much light. Give me all the lumens, shower me in candela. For the untrained person flashing a 1000 lumen tac light in your darked out bathroom with white walls....yeah, you're gonna have problems.

If you want to use white light well there are plenty of tactical trainers focused on low light, I would highly recommend you avail yourself their services.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all the responses. I just bought a Glock 41, and I want to make it my pistol to be used in conjunction with my armor, belt, and rifle. I'm generally in favor of pistol mounted lights, and I was trying to decide if I should set up my belt with a light accommodating holster or not.

I decided I will. I attached one of my spare lights to it, and ran through a few drills, and it doesn't hamper anything at all.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh, my bad, didn't see the OP already had what he needed above.

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#25]
My stupid reason is that the Safariland holsters I've got need the light for retention. Safariland makes non-light bearing models but buying their stuff is a bear lately and it won't provide much extra value to replace the existing holsters.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok, let's run this down by the numbers.

1.) Should a fighting handgun have a light?

Emphatically yes. And a fighting long guns should have a light. And you should still have a handheld light. Light is a tool, uses include PID, searching,  enhanced situational awareness, and sometimes a non-lethal use of force or temporary distraction device. Have it always.

2.) Do I need night sights on a gun with a light?

I believe so. There are places that you may not need to hit white light and expose yourself but are in darkness too dark to outline your sights. Its a niche scenario but a real one nonetheless. I run dots on all my primary fighting handguns which replaced nightsights utility for me. That said they still serve a purpose, they help me find the pistol quickly on the nightstand without light.

3.) Is there such a thing as "too bright" or "too much light"?

Yes, if you don't know what your doing. Light is a tool which requires training to use effectively. I have been trained, I trained others. I use light professionally most patrol shifts because I work at night and most of my SWAT work is during hours of reduced or diminished light. So for me and mine, no... there's no such things as too bright or too much light. Give me all the lumens, shower me in candela. For the untrained person flashing a 1000 lumen tac light in your darked out bathroom with white walls....yeah, you're gonna have problems.

If you want to use white light well there are plenty of tactical trainers focused on low light, I would highly recommend you avail yourself their services.
View Quote
I think this valuable information.  Target identification is always useful.  Such lights also require training to get the most out of them.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

HOWEVER, if I'm in my war belt set up, it means shit is bad. I am likely wearing armor and carrying a rifle. Discretion/concealment is no longer the issue and I want every option at my disposal. So the war belt gun has
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Absolutely have a light on the handgun. The TLR-1 is cheap, reliable, and holsters are really common.

As far as lumens go, more is brighter and isn’t bad. That said I’m rocking a 300 lumen TLR-1 as issued and it works fine, especially indoors. Outside 300 lumens seems a little weak beyond 25 yards. I do have a 500 lumen X300U and it works so well I don’t see the need to buy one of the 1000 lumen versions.

I generally do not have a light mounted on my off duty Glock 19 when carrying it. If I did want a light for concealed carry I’d go with the TLR7.

I did notice something cool with the TRex Ragnarok for the Glock/X300 combo. With the A version of the X300 you can stow it in the holster and when you insert the Glock the light attaches. The Ragnarok firmly holds the light and it’s not falling out. Obviously you’d want to remove it from the holster to verify attachment but it’s a good way to have it ready without getting lost in the bag.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I have lights on most of my handguns except:
.357 revolver
P365xl, only because I'm still deciding...
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#30]
In my experience, night sights on pistols are very useful, especially if the Trit "night sight" vials are emplaced into suitable light-colored dots on the front and rear sights.  

I would not expect even brand-new, bright, night sights to be visible to the user after the first shot, although large sight "dots" might be so-- and that is their value, especially the front sight.  That said, night sights are valuable for covert use, at least.

If considering Trit night sights, please know that they naturally deteriorate over time.  Buy from  longstanding mfr that will re-hab such sights, presumably at far less cost than buying a new set.

FWIW, there are many techniques employing suitable hand-held tactical flash lights that can be used either in conjunction with Night sights, or in lieu of such lights.  On second shot, such flashlights just might be more useful than pistol-mounted trit Night sights.

I'm no expert, btw.  But I have listened to advice from experts.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Use a light.

Regarding night sights:
Use you are not using NV, get them.

If you are using NV with a dot, plain sights.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Remember... you're weapon is pointed at everything you are illuminating.

Watch for any nd's if any loved ones appear within sight.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weights alone is a reason to have a WML if its an Overt (ie not stuffed in your pants) gun.

The WML is essentially a 4.5oz Frame Weight that doubles as a flashlight.

Frame Weights are used in open competition as they've effective at minimizing muzzle rise / lowering perceived recoil.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/259808-toni-frame-weights/

Recoil Reduction of WML:

RECOIL REDUCTION - Streamlight TLR-1HL vs. Streamlight TLR-7A - And comparing the two popular WMLs
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:19:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Something I don't see mentioned here often is the potential legal ramifications of using your weapon light as a flashlight.

In Michigan if you point a gun at someone who you're not already legally allowed to shoot you can (and likely will) be charged with felonious assault. There's also "aiming without malice."

There are plenty of scenarios (99% of them, in fact) where you might be investigating a "bump in the night" and determine it's not a threat justifying fatal force. Probably a good idea to have a light handy that's NOT attached to a gun for those scenarios.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#35]
People that think you have to point the light at something to ID it have never tried a real light.

I bump mine on at the ground or ceiling and I can see the whole room.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
People that think you have to point the light at something to ID it have never tried a real light.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#37]
It’s dark a lot.
Bad guys like doing things in the dark.
Gunfights in the dark suck.
I want all the lumens, mixed lighting conditions can make weak lights useless.

No reason not to have night sights or a weapon light. Everyone makes holsters for them, even inside the waste band.

It doesn’t replace a handheld light for stuff you don’t need to point a gun at.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Most of the time, you don't get to choose the scenario when it comes for you.

Therefore, lights go on everything. Even the "range toys".

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#39]
I run a M17 w/RMR and X300V and a M18 w/RMR and X300U.  I'm running both in Safariland 6390RDS holsters and I do carry both AIWB (though not at the same time.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, it's not.

If you have a WML made after 2006 it's probably bright enough to creat enough "splash" to illuminate a dark space without actively pointing your weapon at it.  

Quoted:

^This

I have a WML on all my pistols.  Have also had to train using the Harries technique, Rogers technique, and (cringe) the FBI technique.

That shit sucks.  WML FTW

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#41]
You should always be able to identify your target. IMO a light on any home defense gun is a must regardless if it’s your primary or secondary.

With that said I do not carry a light on my CCW, it’s a trade off and the price you pay to be able to comfortably carry a pistol under clothing. A light and comfortable pistol without a light you always carry is better than a decked out full sized pistol with lights and lasers that you never wear because it’s to big and heavy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#42]
"What's the thought on a pistol mounted light, while you already have a rifle light and a flashlight?"
Pistol mounted light, yes. Now let's discuss why you only have 1 flashlight. I like to carry 2. Flashlights get used a lot and batteries get drained. Very likely it'll go dead. I carry a stream light pen light in my shirt pocket and a surefire in my front pocket.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"What's the thought on a pistol mounted light, while you already have a rifle light and a flashlight?"
Pistol mounted light, yes. Now let's discuss why you only have 1 flashlight. I like to carry 2. Flashlights get used a lot and batteries get drained. Very likely it'll go dead. I carry a stream light pen light in my shirt pocket and a surefire in my front pocket.
View Quote

This, especially if you're in law enforcement, the military, or any other profession requiring weapons. I always carry a primary, a backup in my pack, and a set of spare batteries.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No, it's not.

If you have a WML made after 2006 it's probably bright enough to creat enough "splash" to illuminate a dark space without actively pointing your weapon at it.  

^This

I have a WML on all my pistols.  Have also had to train using the Harries technique, Rogers technique, and (cringe) the FBI technique.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not.

Quoted:

^This

This is useful advice, in that not always necessary to point WML light directly at target to give reasonable illumination.  OTOH, Illuminating WML certainly gives away light-user's position, so suggest, if at all possible, pre-planning to re-locate immediately after light is displayed.

Carrying an appropriate hand-held back-up light, and training with it, is wise.

Personally, and having nothing outside my stoutly-doored bedroom worth the risk of my life, I will hunker down, and await the arrival of the cops, who will (hopefully) be constantly on the cell phone.  I'm not getting killed for a TV or something pointless like that  Other folks, with different arrangements, such as kid's bedrooms, will differ, naturally.  If that plan fails to be practicable, then go to Plan B.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Something I don't see mentioned here often is the potential legal ramifications of using your weapon light as a flashlight.

In Michigan if you point a gun at someone who you're not already legally allowed to shoot you can (and likely will) be charged with felonious assault. There's also "aiming without malice."

There are plenty of scenarios (99% of them, in fact) where you might be investigating a "bump in the night" and determine it's not a threat justifying fatal force. Probably a good idea to have a light handy that's NOT attached to a gun for those scenarios.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely worth fully-understanding local laws, and how they are prosecuted, which may be "interpreted" differently from how one reads them.  Politically-motivated Prosecutors have been known to make life hell for what an average person would consider a "justified" shooting.

Some States require the "victim" to make a reasonable attempt to "retreat" or avoid confrontation, while other States have "Castle Doctrine" laws for intrusions into dwellings, or perhaps similar laws when out in public.

It is absolutely essential that the firearms user fully understand the Laws under which they live.  Such Laws vary widely, from State-to-State.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Personally, and having nothing outside my stoutly-doored bedroom worth the risk of my life, I will hunker down, and await the arrival of the cops, who will (hopefully) be constantly on the cell phone.  I'm not getting killed for a TV or something pointless like that  Other folks, with different arrangements, such as kid's bedrooms, will differ, naturally.  If that plan fails to be practicable, then go to Plan B.
View Quote

My kid's bedrooms are across the landing at the top of the stairs from mine. Everything outside my bedroom door is worth defending at any and all costs. Once I figure out they are behind me it's a free fire zone in front of me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My kid's bedrooms are across the landing at the top of the stairs from mine. Everything outside my bedroom door is worth defending at any and all costs. Once I figure out they are behind me it's a free fire zone in front of me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your kid's separate bedrooms require a definite amount of protectiveness on your part.  No argument.

Not for nothing, but just looking at entrance to upper stairway, to 2nd floor, where bedrooms are located, I notice a door on lower entrance to stars could be installed.  Might have to consider that.  

Having said that, I ask you whether your wife/kids are better off having a possibly dead husband/father going downstairs and taking on some TV-stealing burglar, assuming you can take a good, defensible position at top of stairs at little risk to yourself, or them.  Not sure you meant so, just asking the question, for clarification.  Possible some miscommunication here.  No offense intended!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. Consider the staircase a choke point, ensure loved ones are behind you, and just defend the choke point.

I'll go downstairs and do fancy tactical bullshit if someone I care about is still down there. Otherwise I'm not exposing myself to any additional risk and leaving loved ones unguarded to save my TV.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yup. Consider the staircase a choke point, ensure loved ones are behind you, and just defend the choke point.

I'll go downstairs and do fancy tactical bullshit if someone I care about is still down there. Otherwise I'm not exposing myself to any additional risk and leaving loved ones unguarded to save my TV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Family members are always worth any risk.  Easily-replaced property? Not at all.  How many TVs/Computers/property are worth your risking your life?  

I "get" that some folks consider invasion of their homes as an "Actionable" event,  and personal insult.  Might not be the best way to play it, is all I'm saying.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not for nothing, but just looking at entrance to upper stairway, to 2nd floor, where bedrooms are located, I notice a door on lower entrance to stars could be installed.  Might have to consider that.    not really an option at my house

Having said that, I ask you whether your wife/kids are better off having a possibly dead husband/father going downstairs and taking on some TV-stealing burglar, assuming you can take a good, defensible position at top of stairs at little risk to yourself, or them.  Not sure you meant so, just asking the question, for clarification.  Possible some miscommunication here.  No offense intended!  I never said I was going hunting. I can post up prone at the top of the stairs and see my whole front yard, most of my front entrances and windows, and decorative mirrors help me see some of the back, too. Kids and wife behind (and in a tile tub) means they are protected. Anything that is in front is fair game until the cops come.
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

exactly the second part. I have insurance that will buy me nicer shit than I have now. No reason to get into a fight if I can help it. they don't have to be better than me, just lucky once. I can go small with a rifle and keep a stairway pretty open.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top