Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2024 11:24:06 PM EDT
When was it released? What was its purpose? What does the F stand for? Seems odd that people prefer the regular A3 over it (more compact and subjectively better aesthetic to some), so why did Hk only switch to making the F?
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#1]
F=France.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By henryfrank:
When was it released? What was its purpose? What does the F stand for? Seems odd that people prefer the regular A3 over it (more compact and subjectively better aesthetic to some), so why did Hk only switch to making the F?
View Quote

IIRC the MP5F and stock was developed in the late 90’s for a French Police contract.  It was designed for the requirement of handling the “high pressure” ammunition of that they were using.  It was later incorporated into the production line for the MP5.  

I prefer the A3F for increased LOP, if I had to place the stocks in order of preference it would go A3F, A2, A3.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 2:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: henryfrank] [#4]
Thank you! That was a great read! I’m surprised the F stock isn’t more popular and nobody besides HK makes it anymore since ATI stopped.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it is like how many view retro ARs, they aren't the most innovated variant, but what is popular is what was the original look that everyone wants.

The F looks awkward simply because its different than what we have popularized as the MP5.

The recoil pad extension and the radio-antenna buffer  just looks like a pair of clown shoes on a super model.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the SP5 models have all of the F upgrades?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mah827:
View Quote

No, for example, the cocking handle assembly is the old style.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Wonder if the cocking handle assembly for the F is compatible with older versions.  The article didn't really mention that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:

The recoil pad extension and the radio-antenna buffer  just looks like a pair of clown shoes on a super model.
View Quote

most eloquently put statement I have ever read on here.

100% truth
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
I believe you would need to change the cocking tube support as well.
View Quote

Yep, you can drop in the "F" cocking handle and support but because the tube itself is different it won't stay latched when firing. You also need the "F" pattern cocking tube for that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01: Yep, you can drop in the "F" cocking handle and support but because the tube itself is different it won't stay latched when firing. You also need the "F" pattern cocking tube for that.
View Quote

That’s not correct, the “F” cocking handle parts assembly works fine (and stays latched) in a SP5.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mah827:
View Quote

F bolt head and carrier.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
...The recoil pad extension and the radio-antenna buffer  just looks like a pair of clown shoes on a super model.
View Quote

Rather than the expression "clown shoes", I was thinking "high top, platform shoes", as that is what the ass-end of an A3F resembles to me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:36:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#15]
I never see weight mentioned....I hate the newer f stock...it looks clownish...on top of that it weighs significantly more...yuk.

Edit: found an article saying the F stock is only 4oz heavier then the original a3...honestly is feels like a lot more in person.  I am gonna pull out the scale tomorrow, because it's for sure noticeable and I wouldn't think 4 oz would have been so noticable.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Functionally I think the F stock is better. I have a 2 position variant. I also bought an MKE A3 because that classic look.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both.  I prefer the F for the longer length of pull.  Aesthetically, I think the A3 looks better.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top