Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2023 4:01:20 PM EDT
I've got a few rifles I'm considering selling.  What's the best way to ship a rifle these days?  Can they still go USPS or Fedex?

I know handguns are pretty much just FFL to FFL now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
USPS is that last one that allows regular people to ship long guns.    I heard this recently, but hoped it was a misinformed rumor.  Maybe a C&R with UPS, but I didn't dig.
Reading their sites makes it look even worse.  See the UPS definitions.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/prohibited-items/firearms.page

“Firearm Part” is any part or component of a Firearm that does not by itself meet the definition of a “Firearm.”  By way of example only, Firearm Parts include, but are not limited to, barrels, stocks, grips, firing pins, sights, and magazines/clips.

“Firearm Products” means Firearms and Firearm Parts.  The term Firearm Product does not include scopes.

UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone I talk to recommends  https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

I haven't used it yet but looks like a low hassle way. Would welcome anyone's input.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Shipped a rifle via USPS on Friday. Was painless, cheap and surprisingly fast.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I used shipmygun a few years ago several times and it was easy, painless, and cheap
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like some good info in this thread.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I use USPS Retail Ground or Registered Mail. Do not bother with Fedex or UPS due to their new policies. I was able to ship a couple rifles via USPS without issue last month.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Long guns, usps is the way to roll.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everyone I talk to recommends  https://www.shipmygun.com/go/

I haven't used it yet but looks like a low hassle way. Would welcome anyone's input.  
View Quote

i've used shipmygun.com for multiple PISTOL shipments.   Worked seemlessly.  Just follow the instructions.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I use FedEx, they have never given me a hassle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Ship USPS with Pirate Ship, rates are dirt cheap and you can add insurance or registered mail. Shipmygun also works great for handguns/receivers that cannot go through USPS
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Shipmygun.com
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
With ShipMyGun, I've always wondered what happens if UPS or Fedex loses the gun.

It sounds like you are purchasing insurance though ShipMyGun. I wonder how easy and timely it is to get a claim resolved.

https://www.shipmygun.com/go/faq.php?osCsid=ks4gj077oqm99stpqutve7q7f3
What happens if my firearm gets lost in transit?

Accidents and lost items are extremely rare, but they do occasionally happen. We both ShipMyGun.com and our shipping providers go to great lengths to handle all issues that might arise with a lost, stolen, or damaged package. We offer optional shipping insurance on all firearm shipments which can cover the full cost of your shipment. Unfortunately, if the optional shipping insurance is not selected, Ups' liability for lost, damaged, or stolen packages is limited to $100.00 dollars on shipments with no declared value.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#13]
usps is easy buttttt the last few times they add $100 to whatever it cost becuase its a dangerous item or some such. Maybe im being fleeced i dont know. Ill try ship my gun next time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
usps is easy buttttt the last few times they add $100 to whatever it cost becuase its a dangerous item or some such. Maybe im being fleeced i dont know. Ill try ship my gun next time.
View Quote

You are getting fleeced.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

How did they know it was a gun?
Surely you didn't tell them "BTW there's a gun in this box".
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why are you telling them it's a gun?  Unlike with UPS and FedEx, who you can't ship through anyways anymore if you're not an FFL - the ATF's website doesn't say anything about you needing to declare a firearm is in the box to USPS like it does with UPS and FedEx.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why are you telling them it's a gun?  Unlike with UPS and FedEx, who you can't ship through anyways anymore if you're not an FFL - the ATF's website doesn't say anything about you needing to declare a firearm is in the box to USPS like it does with UPS and FedEx.
View Quote

Bingo!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top