Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2020 9:04:06 PM EDT
I just put together my first pistol and am shocked at the amount of gas I’m getting to the face.  A buddy of mine said he’d get an adjustable gas block and mentioned the company “SLR” (I believe that was the initials...) will more than likely run the gun suppressed 100% of the time.

Some quick specs.

Carbine Length gas system
10.5” barrel
SilencerCo Saker K

Anything else y’all need to know?

ETA *** This is the upper i'm using.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-chf-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-9-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-nickel-boron-bcg-ch.html
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Superlative on a 10.3 I'm happy with.

It gives you two options on how to handle gas. Well 3, but the third is just using it as a basic non-regulated gas block.

You can use it as a traditional gas block, simply restricting how much gas goes into the tube.

Or you can use it as a bleed off, sends excess gas out the front of the gas block. The option theoretically lessens felt recoil, but it does produce more gas that can come back to the shooter.

My 10.3 just restricts it, girlfriend hated the extra gas when I used the bleed off system.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an Odin Works on my 10.5 with a YHM TK. Works good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I run a SLR Sentry Adjustable gas block on my 11.5 and just bought another to replace the standard gas block on my 10.5.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an Odin Works on my 10.5 with a YHM TK. Works good.
View Quote

Odin Works does have a restriction on pistol-length gas systems, but otherwise looks like a solid design.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just put together my first pistol and am shocked at the amount of gas I’m getting to the face.  A buddy of mine said he’d get an adjustable gas block and mentioned the company “SLR” (I believe that was the initials...) will more than likely run the gun suppressed 100% of the time.

Some quick specs.

Carbine Length gas system
10.5” barrel
SilencerCo Saker K

Anything else y’all need to know?
View Quote

Thought about trying a BRT gas tube?

I’m just waiting on can to test out on my 10.5
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:28:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It gives you two options on how to handle gas. Well 3, but the third is. The option theoretically lessens felt recoil, but it does produce more gas that can come back to the shooter.

My 10.3 just restricts it, girlfriend hated the extra gas when I used the bleed off system.
View Quote

Then you’re using it wrong

Bleed off mode dumps all the excess gas out the front of the block, not back towards the shooter

Sounds like you’re describing the restrictive mode
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I run a SLR Sentry Adjustable gas block on my 11.5 and just bought another to replace the standard gas block on my 10.5.
View Quote

I have several SLR adjustable blocks. They work well.

OP, if you are right handed you ought to look at Gas Buster charging handles or search for how to use RTV modify a standard charging handle to reduce gas to the face. RTV is supposed to work for lefties too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:48:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Lefties should carefully study gas reducing charging handles before making a purchase. A number of them will direct gas directly towards your face.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replies! I've got some options to research now.

Will report back what i end up going with and of course how it shoots with said block.

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've looked at them but i kinda feel like an adjustable gas block would be the way to go. i don't like the idea of buying one size without knowing exactly what the tube is going to do for my problem. I might buy one too small and run into cycle trouble or buy one too open and end up with still having gas in my face.

Quoted:
I have several SLR adjustable blocks. They work well.

OP, if you are right handed you ought to look at Gas Buster charging handles or search for how to use RTV modify a standard charging handle to reduce gas to the face. RTV is supposed to work for lefties too.

I'll check out Gas Buster. Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking at that Radian one made for suppressors but they never seem to have it in stock. I see them pop up on gunbroker but i'm not trying to pay $50+ more than the MSRP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Then you’re using it wrong

Bleed off mode dumps all the excess gas out the front of the block, not back towards the shooter

Sounds like you’re describing the restrictive mode
View Quote

There is no way to use it wrong, it does blow the gas out of the front.  Which is nice, except when your outside and moving and shooting and gas does what it does when you're outdoors.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Posted the link above in the OP... but this is the upper i'm rocking.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-chf-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-9-lightweight-m-lok-upper-with-nickel-boron-bcg-ch.html

Anyone with the SLR... How much higher off your barrel does it sit? Really don't wanna have to buy a different hand guard but i guess i will if i have to.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I put a Vltor A5 pistol buffer tube on an extremely gassy 10.3” gun (with an Omega 30 suppressor) and it helped tremendously. I had ordered a Radian SD charging handle (made for suppressor use) before I had the A5 installed. After installing the A5 kit it really didn’t need any more improvement but I went ahead and put the SD on anyway, I think it did help slightly but hard to tell. I honestly didn’t notice any more gas to the face, eyes or mouth and the remaining cartridges in the top of the magazine weren’t tarnished by the gas nearly as much.

It would have been interesting to have tried the charging handle first by itself but I’m not taking the buffer tube off to check it. My suggestion would be to try the Vltor rifle or pistol tube if you can find it, I think the recoil pulse felt softer and better also. The one down side to the pistol tube is it has no adjustment like an A5 position rifle tube and and SA 3 brace would. If you find that you wanted to you could then order the Radian SD CH.

The A5 kit comes with an extended buffer tube, a proprietary buffer and a longer spring.
Some people have reported decent results with just a rifle spring in their milspec tube. Some have added a little heavier buffer also. DO NOT use the Vltor A5 buffer (longer) in your milspec tube or you will damage things according to Vltor.

Anyway the A5 kit would be my suggestion for the easy button YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can find one, a Govnah

ETA: and a GMS-15 evo CH from Armageddon
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you can find one, a Govnah

ETA: and a GMS-15 evo CH from Armageddon
View Quote

Best CH is the suppressed shooting business
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Best CH is the suppressed shooting business
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#17]

This is what I use

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is no way to use it wrong, it does blow the gas out of the front.  Which is nice, except when your outside and moving and shooting and gas does what it does when you're outdoors.
View Quote

It CAN be used wrong but...

The way you described the issue made it sound like something was not correct.  I’ve got three of the blocks, use them in outdoor shooting/matches etc and haven’t experienced that so it was odd reading your experience with it
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Other than recommending a PWS upper or other piston system, I would look into the SLR adjustable gas block and the Raptor SD charging handle for suppressed shooting by Raptor/Radian/Whatever they are now.

I have also used the Gemtech and Bootleg suppressed Bolt Carrier, but not with an adjustable gas block. If you had both, I'm sure you could spend half a day tuning your rifle for any and all types of ammo.

I think all of these have been mentioned above. All are quality, reliable items.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Other than recommending a PWS upper or other piston system, I would look into the SLR adjustable gas block and the Raptor SD charging handle for suppressed shooting by Raptor/Radian/Whatever they are now.

I have also used the Gemtech and Bootleg suppressed Bolt Carrier, but not with an adjustable gas block. If you had both, I'm sure you could spend half a day tuning your rifle for any and all types of ammo.

I think all of these have been mentioned above. All are quality, reliable items.
View Quote

The Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 Evo is so much better for gas than the Raptor SD!!
http://armageddontactical.com/GMS-15-EVO-Charging-Handle_p_19.html
You should try one...
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Armageddon Tactical GMS-15 Evo is so much better for gas than the Raptor SD!!
http://armageddontactical.com/GMS-15-EVO-Charging-Handle_p_19.htmlhttps://i.imgur.com/PpmQIDs.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/bB3CZtE.jpg
You should try one...
View Quote

I'll put it on my list of things to try.

I have very few issues with my most common can/host combo. It is an Omega that lives on PWS and I recently got the Raptor SD. Between the piston system, the Omega not being the worst for back pressure, and the little extra from the Raptor, I have no real issue doing extended firing schedules back to back. The DD "DMR" setup I have is a rifle length gas and I use the same can and .30 endcap. It isn't that bad either.

I'm putting a Gemtech Shield in jail for an A2 style SBR, I'll look into the GMS for that. I'm sure it'll be gassy.

I don't think OP would be wrong with either CH, knowing that there's other items to reduce gas as well. I'd invest in the adjustable gas block and probably the bolt carrier first.

Thanks for the heads up and link.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#22]
The Armageddon charging handle is indeed good for gas mitigation but I loathe its shape and the way the handle is disengaged.  The angles on everything just feel awkward to me and I dont feel like I get good leverage on the handle.

I am currently using Superlative blocks on five of my rifles.  I have not had any luck with the bleed off feature.  I use them as restrictive blocks.  They do indeed work well.

Recently, I finally had one carbon lock but it was relatively easy to get it free.  A SUPER quick blast of brake cleaner and everything was right back to normal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Been using SLR blocks on every rifle I have (a lot) for almost a decade.

They are awesome blocks. Recently switched a bunch of them over to the Titanium versions. Don’t have enough rounds on the Ti versions yet to make a valid judgement, other than to say they’re amazingly light.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:52:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Following this thread with great interest.  My 10.5 has a very generous gas port. Finding out the Turbo K is quite gassy.  As I recently bought that 12.5 upper with an A2 FSB  for the AEM5 an adjustable block is out.  I've migrated my Bootleg adjustable carrier there as it makes more sense.  Investigating what to do with my 10.5 where I'm planning on parking that Turbo K permanently.  I'm almost inclined to replace the barrel with a properly ported one.  Alternatively Black River Tactical has some restricted gas tubes I'm eyeballing that would be a simple easy fix.  They told me the standard ez tune tube they rate for 10-12 in bbls is roughly ~ to the crane spec 0.70 gas port size.  They won't tell me what the equivalent gas port size on their ez tune tube they rate for suppressor only is other than without a can it will probably not cycle.

I like to keep things semi simple so this the route I'm seriously considering but still not opposed to a barrel swap or an adjustable block even though they will require more work for the swap out. Not chasing every db and don't want it on the edge of just running.  But anything smaller than the .080+ port on my current bbl will be welcome.

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I plan on trying a Brt tube on a 10.5 & 16”, pinned blocks and don’t want to mess with them. Waiting on my R2 to be unjailed  so I can test/play with it... ( first can)...finally180 days in..

Everyone that uses the brt tubes says they work good.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://armageddontactical.com/GMS-15-EVO-Charging-Handle_p_19.htmlhttps://i.imgur.com/PpmQIDs.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/bB3CZtE.jpg
You should try one...
View Quote

Have any of you used this CH with a Troy rear BUIS? Just want to verify there isn't a clearance issue?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top