Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2018 9:49:57 AM EDT
Saw a lower (pistol grip with firing parts and folding stock) for sale.   I know nothing about it.  Guy is asking $1200
Appears to only need upper receiver bolt and barrel
Claims it is a Vet bring back

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, I'd pass on that guy's MP40 lower for several reasons:

1.  The price.
2.  I think it's pretty unlikely that the veteran would have only brought back the lower receiver and not an entire gun = bullshit story by seller.  He probably bought it from Apex Gun Parts
3.   When you find a registered MP40 (either C&R or a "tube gun"), it's 99.9% likely it will be an entire gun, so no point to buying a separate lower.

Just my two cents.

[Edit] I love the description of "Appears to only need upper receiver bolt and barrel".  I can just imagine a similar used car advertisement:

"FOR SALE:  1963 Porsche 911 body and chassis.  Appears to only need engine, transmission, axles and wheels."

[Edit]  If you're looking for a transferable MP40, there are two general types:

1.  Curio & Relic original all-German MP40s, brought back from WW2, either with paperwork from the U.S. military authorizing the veteran to bring it back to the States, or brought back without permission by the veteran but later registered during the 1968 MG amnesty; and

2.  "Tube guns" - German MP40 parts kits imported after 1968, and assembled (with different levels of skill) by American manufacturers on U.S.-made upper receiver tubes from 1968-1986.

C&R guns are more of a collector-type item, while the tube guns are more for shooters, as a general rule.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
also note that there was a Yugo copy of the gun (M56), which I've seen kits passed off as German.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Agree with the posters above.

On probably 99% of the MP40s out there the main tube is the registered part, and if the main tube isn't the registered component than all the rest of the parts are probably legally married together if the serial number is engraved elsewhere on the gun.

I actually just bought a Charlie Erb mfg MP40 earlier this week and the serial # and mfg markings were on the main tube.

All that lower from Apex is really good for is as spare parts for somebody who owns a registered MP40, a SOT who wants to build a post sample MP40, or a non-licensee who wants to build a dummy/display/reenactor type "non-gun".
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Where would one get the rest of the parts for a post sample MP40?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Apex has two pages of MP40 parts and other places have parts or whole kits.   (RGuns, Bergflak, etc.)

There also seem to be plenty of dummy guns out there as well that could be cannabalized for a postie.

A quick search on gunbroker turned up this gun that seem like most all of the significant parts are there (sans the tube)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792155917

Granted most "kits" are going to already come with the lower, but if you have a kit that for some reason is missing the lower or the lower is damaged I guess you could buy the one listed above from Apex.

As ubiquitous as MP40s were as bring backs and imported as parts kits after the ware, it shouldn't seem like a huge challenge to find all the parts for an MP40 postie build leaving you with just the tube and assembly responsibility.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Tried to get a look at the Gunbroker kit mentioned above, but it's gone now.
One 07 I know has been looking for three years.  But, he's fussy; wants matching parts, etc.
High quality complete parts kits including everything but the receiver tube: Barrel, trunnion, bolt, lower assembly, mag housing, sights, etc., seem seldom offered now days.
When they do occasionally show up, the prices seem to have risen even faster than comparable Thompson kits.
Good luck in your search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top