Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2020 10:06:07 PM EDT
I am trying to remove Testor"s paint from a Spike Anodized Aluminum lower receiver and have tried Citristrip and it didn't remove all of it. What Paint Stripper is Safe on Aluminum Anodizing?
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to local auto paint supply or NAPA and get some Fast Enamel Reducer, 3812 is the DuPont number. It will wash that paint right off and won't hurt most plastics either.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#2]
With the exception of acid, I don't know of a solvent that will harm a Type III HC anodized AR finish.

Try some denatured alcohol.  If that doesn't work, MEK.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
OP, did you use an old toothbrush with the citristrip? I usually cake it on, let dry, scrape/rub the top coat of paint off, cake another layer on, let dry again, then add just a small amount to get everything liquid again before brushing with a toothbrush or nylon brush. Works every time.

If that doesn’t work, there aren’t any chemicals I know of beside strong acids and bases that will remove the oxidation layer. Typical solvents like benzene, toluene (stuff that’s in carb cleaner, or at least make up the majority of it), alcohols, water, etc have no chemical interest in the oxidized aluminum so they’re general safe to use. Mineral spirits or carb cleaner are just fine and will get the job done.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Spray on Citristrip ate the rustoleum camo paint right off this lower and didn’t hurt a thing

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Bix. It will strip epoxy coat also.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Citri-Strip is my preferred paint remover.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I used the spray on aircraft stripper, Jasco maybe, didn't hurt anodizing. It will eat your latex gloves and burn your skin.
Only thing I know that removes anodizing is oven cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used the spray on aircraft stripper, Jasco maybe, didn't hurt anodizing. It will eat your latex gloves and burn your skin.
Only thing I know that removes anodizing is oven cleaner.
View Quote

I've used Klean Strip aircraft paint remover to try and remove Gunkote. It's for epoxy paints, but didn't work very well on Gunkote.

Ended up blasting the finish off with aluminum oxide media. That worked great.

Klean Strip didn't hurt the aluminum at all.  Like others said, you would have to use a strong base to damage the anodizing layer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Spray on Citristrip ate the rustoleum camo paint right off this lower and didn’t hurt a thing

https://i.imgur.com/xxStBTi.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/xxStBTi.jpg

Quoted:
Citri-Strip is my preferred paint remover.

I used Citri-Strip to strip the finish of an old,  dirty Win. model 70 stock.  It worked wonders and didn't damage the wood at all.  

I'm sure your guys' experience as a safe paint remover is spot on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top