User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why are people getting rid of taco pouches? Everything I've seen people seem to love them.
View Quote
Poor retention. Poor fit for round objects in the pistol pouches. The corners of the hard plastic sides poke the shit out of you. They are popular because they are cheap. They are WAYYY better than flap pouches you can reshuffle your mags with due to locket collapse but all the other modern open top carriers are better than the Taco. Limewise the Emdom Universal are not popular because they are expensive... but they are the best overall IMO.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Curious - whose butt pack with molle?  Thanks

NEVERMIND - it Russian
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I prefer closed-top pouches in order to protect the mags from the climate everything. FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I prefer closed-top pouches in order to protect the mags from the climate everything. FIFY
This.
It also protects things from the mags (which is more relevant with USGI mags than PMAGs, but still).

Bungee cord, and elastic webbing are very subject to age- and environmental-degradation... I suggest pouches without any elastic whatsoever.
Also this.

Nobody wants to sit around replacing bungee cords every few years.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Call me old school, I prefer flaps on everything.  Bungees are just another snag point.
View Quote
Quoted for truth. We have real woods down here.

My gear is setup for killing people, not for winning matches however.

I would use a whole different setup for gaming.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted for truth. We have real woods down here.

My gear is setup for killing people, not for winning matches however.

I would use a whole different setup for gaming.
View Quote
My gear gets dirty regularly. Open-topped pouches- KYWI or Ten Speed- have never had an issue with shit getting in there, either here in Arizona or even when I lived in Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't mean dirty. The vegetation is so thick here, your bungee pouches and just about anything will get snagged by briars and vines and stuff. It's extremely dense in our woods, which is where some fugitives love to run, apparently.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:54:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Bungee. Hold stuff in, easy to flip down right before game time for quicker access.

Bungee cord is easier to fix than replacing Velcro.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't done anything other than range with my tacos and now the scorpions.

I used to think that I wouldn't want any type of  bungie mag pouch because of the snag issue with the bungie itself.
After reading here and a lot of people swearing by them I got the tacos.

I don't think there is actually a snag issue with the bungies themselves.

The bungie is tight and snug against the pouch. It could happen but I think clothing , or the pouch itself would hang up on something before the bungie would.

In my younger days before I enlisted my friends and I would have BB gun fights . Lots of briar where played.
Briar would constantly snag on our cloths , not so much on the web ( Alice ) gear we wore.
We had constant tears in clothing but the web gear was fine.

I'm not a fan of Velcro closures either, for all the same reasons of Raf.
I like the flaps on the SDS mag pouches I have for my chest rig though. ( still haven't used it ) I just wished they had another type of closure.

I remember Eagle Ind. used to have what they called a silent closure on some gear.
It was a hook system attached to some heavy duty elastic .
Just pull the hooks down and it hooked under a piece of webbing.
Not good for low crawling but silent .

I'm not crazy about saps either.
I have some SDS triple mag shingles and for me they are a  bitch to snap closed.

My range belt is set up like a duty belt. I've never had an issue with a duty belt other than the plastic buckle unlocking once or twice. ( fastex)

I don't like Velcro attached pouches at all.
I have seen one snag against a doorway when going in fast and hearing the Velcro ripping open and the cuff case hitting the floor.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Flaps. In my experience mags want to fall out of open top pouches when you're doing anything really physical.  Bungees are fine for retention but in the woods here they get hung up a lot.

Having one open top as a "ready" mag for reloads would be ok, as long as you take in to account how good/poor the rention is. For pistols, kydex double mag pouch. I've never had a mag slip out of them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I use both types of pouches.

I have one or two bungee retention pouches for "the next mag" but all of my reserve mags are kept in flapped pouches.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top