Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 7/15/2023 2:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: turbomunkey]
I carry a gun and flash light everyday, but no knife. I know a knife is an important tool, but i dont really own or carry one. My big hang up is I am not a knife guy, i dont know how to sharpen properly, and quite frankly it doesnt interest me.

Whats the easiest way to put a usable edge on a knife? I dont need to shave hairs off my arm or fillet paper, just needs to be able to cut flesh and possibly a seat belt or rope. On that note, whats an easily sharpened knife? Not just in terms of material, but blade shape.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Dremel
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not use a dremal.

If you aren't a knife guy, then you won't use your knife enough to worry about sharpening it.

Get yourself a serrated Spyderco and it will cut what you need to cut right out of the box.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]
A. Send it to someone who knows what they are doing.
Or 2: Spend a minimum of 3 years of your life learning how to sharpen a knife like said sharpening guy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:45:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bulldog1967] [#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
1x30 low speed belt sander with some trizact belts.
View Quote

I have a HF 1x30 that I've never unboxed. Is there a legit inexpensive way to bring the rpms down.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Clip point

Pull-thru sharpener
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:15:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andr0id] [#7]
Purists here that can "feel" 20, 25 and 30 degrees precisely with their calibrated fingertips will say it's cheating but the Lanksky system works great.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Belt sander is the easiest in my experience.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
A diamond stick is my fast go to for a quick edge that cuts................

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:07:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 600/1200 flat diamond stone (3"x6") and a 10" diamond honing "stick".

Get the edge angle where you want it then a few passes on the 1200 or stick will dress it up.

Its not rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Lansky quick-fix pocket sharpener, cheap and works good and fast, gets you from dull to a good "working" edge in about 2 minutes.

I have the HF 1x30 belt sander mentioned here, don't see a reason for slowing the speed down, mine works great, shaving sharp toothy edge in two passes on each side, quick strop and done.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 5:51:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mitsuman47] [#13]
Easiest way for a non-knife guy to want to carry a knife is to buy one you'll actually want to carry.

For me this is something lightweight like the Benchmade Bugout. (I know, fuck Benchmade. But I had it before they jumped the shark). I never liked having a dumbbell in my pocket. The bugout is so light I forget that it's there.

Learn how to strop to maintain the edge between sharpenings. You can get a leather strop on Amazon for like $8.

When the edge needs to be sharpened more than a strop can handle, send it off to the manufacturer, as many will sharpen it for you. Unless you're abusing it, this shouldn't need to be done very often at all. My bugout hasn't been back to Benchmade for 2 years or so.

Here's the strop I have for touching up my knives.

Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wsix:
Do not use a dremal.

If you aren't a knife guy, then you won't use your knife enough to worry about sharpening it.

Get yourself a serrated Spyderco and it will cut what you need to cut right out of the box.
View Quote

Which spyderco are we talking?
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:40:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#15]
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By turbomunkey:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wsix:
Do not use a dremal.

Paramilitary. The 2 is the standard, the 3 is a smaller version I believe.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:

Paramilitary. The 2 is the standard, the 3 is a smaller version I believe.
View Quote

I'll scope one out. Easy to sharpen on belt sander? 60 bucks from harbor freight for a sander is very reasonable for me.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#18]
If you know nothing about sharpening, this will serve you best.

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/benchtop/manual/precision-adjust-elite/

Spyderco Tenacious is less expensive and will serve you well. Or a step up from that is the cold steel AD10 or AD15 light weight.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#19]
The easiest to sharpen knife is a Swiss Army Knife (also easy to dull, but still it's a great knife).  Do not get a fancy/expensive steel knife.  Buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker (with the course Diamond rods extra) and a Sharpie Permanent Marker.  Google how to use them.  Remember to start higher grit first so that you always get to the apex of the edge, and only then go to the higher grits.  That's probably the single biggest mistake people make is not sharpening to the very apex, which if you think about it, means you really never sharpened it.

Alternatively just get a replaceable blade system like the Havalon Paranta or a Box Cutter, that way you don't have to sharpen at all.  Frankly sharpening isn't all that easy and as much as those disposable blades are sort of cheating, I think they're underrated.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quick and easy for a not used often or ever need to be sharpened razor sharp knife

$8 smith's jiff v-sharpener, gets a ok utility edge on a knife, good enough to cut a steak but not shave a beard
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Spyderco Paranilitary 2 on the way....

Thoughts on wet stones like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVZ2OZU?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#22]
For those saying belt sander, will this be good to go out of the box?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-x-30-in-belt-sander-58359.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Buy quality knives like zero tolerance in pairs.
Carry one and have a backup. When one knife gets dull, send it in for factory resharpen.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:34:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Type7SOT] [#24]
Originally Posted By Type7SOT:
Dremel
View Quote

BTW I'm only half joking. Do not use a dremel on a nice knife. But youd be surprised how quick you can get a very sharp edge on a knife with a dremel and a sanding drum, with some practice.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Creole_Cat:
Buy quality knives like zero tolerance in pairs.
Carry one and have a backup. When one knife gets dull, send it in for factory resharpen.
View Quote

This is actually an interesting idea. Apparently I could ship it to spyderco, they sharpen it, and i pay them $5 for the return shipping. That is a nice program. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:

I have a HF 1x30 that I've never unboxed. Is there a legit inexpensive way to bring the rpms down.
View Quote

I was going to post exactly that.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bulldog1967] [#27]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Yes but you will want to slow down the speed with the mod i posted earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwlepLE3ZvQ
View Quote
Will one of these work?
Amazon Product
  • High efficiency controller: 1.8KW 120V stepless speed control, high power output, quick adjustment, reliable and durable.

Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 2:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dirtydog] [#30]
No.
View Quote
Serious question. What do you mean by "No" (other than the obvious)? What will happen, or not happen?
This isn't a light dimmer, although I guess resistance will also be reduced.

eta, I like the idea of a belt sander. Just need to be really careful.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 3:49:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#31]
If you don't want to buy a sharpening system and learn how to use it (there's a learning curve involved with all of them), a pull through sharpener will do everything you need quickly and easily.  I started out with one and have given a few to friends and family who just want something to put a good edge on without any fuss.  I use a Work Sharp Ken Onion now but if were going somewhere without power I'd have no problem carrying a pull through. The Chef's Choice 463 is my favorite of that style sharpener.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 6:31:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Yes but you will want to slow down the speed with the mod i posted earlier.

View Quote

No disrespect you or this guy, but buying a whole new motor and then fabricating it on seems assanine.

The motor on these machines is apparently 3500 rpm. Go figure out the frame size (which usually also correlates to the motor shaft size) and get a 1700 rpm motor. Would bolt right up, generally speaking.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 7:54:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#33]
Portable, affordable, simple, effective...

Attachment Attached File

Lansky C-Sharp Review - A Portable Handheld Sharpener

Sharper Blades, Better Price! Lansky QuadSharp Review - Upgrade from BladeMedic!
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#34]

I carry one of those with me all the time, great tool to keep with you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#35]

This is pretty neat. I just ordered one. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Yup:

View Quote

Thanks, will look into it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#37]

I'll scope one out. Easy to sharpen on belt sander? 60 bucks from harbor freight for a sander is very reasonable for me.
View Quote

Prepare to absolutely destroy your blade. I would put that grinder to the side for mower blades. At least do plenty of practice on things you don't mind messing up until you get it down.
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is an easy system that gets blades plenty sharp.
As far as what Spyderco that will stay sharp for a loooing time, or at least cut easily enough, is a Delica 4 serrated. You'll likely never use it enough to need to sharpen it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Brawnydog:

Prepare to absolutely destroy your blade. I would put that grinder to the side for mower blades. At least do plenty of practice on things you don't mind messing up until you get it down.
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is an easy system that gets blades plenty sharp.
As far as what Spyderco that will stay sharp for a loooing time, or at least cut easily enough, is a Delica 4 serrated. You'll likely never use it enough to need to sharpen it.
View Quote

I'm going to try out that nifty little hand held pull through sharpener and see how it works for me, and I'm guessing I won't need it for a while.
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#40]
You can just as easily “destroy” your blade if you use any other sharpener incorrectly.

The suggestion to PRACTICE on cheap knives is good advice.

The only knives I’ve seriously damaged were two that I hired-out to a local locksmith shop that advertised sharpening services. Holy fuck!… They took a good eighth of an inch off the edge of each knife. And neither was appreciably sharper after they butchered them than when I dropped them off.

I freehand my knives with a diamond hone usually. Occasionally use the pull-through I recommended, or old whetstone.

Be careful and gentle when sharpening. If you bear-down on the pull-through like you’re trying to split an oak stump, you’ll get shitty results, and the edge will be visibly uneven.

Good idea to STROP after you hone. If you don’t have a strop, a cardboard Amazon box will suffice in the same manner. To can get a real leather strop for a couple dollars and free shipping from TEMU.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Spyderco Sharpmaker

Link Posted: 7/28/2023 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#42]
TSPROF

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:50:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARnTN] [#43]
Originally Posted By MtnMan307:
The easiest to sharpen knife is a Swiss Army Knife (also easy to dull, but still it's a great knife).  Do not get a fancy/expensive steel knife.  Buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker (with the course Diamond rods extra) and a Sharpie Permanent Marker.  Google how to use them.  Remember to start higher grit first so that you always get to the apex of the edge, and only then go to the higher grits.  That's probably the single biggest mistake people make is not sharpening to the very apex, which if you think about it, means you really never sharpened it.

Alternatively just get a replaceable blade system like the Havalon Paranta or a Box Cutter, that way you don't have to sharpen at all.  Frankly sharpening isn't all that easy and as much as those disposable blades are sort of cheating, I think they're underrated.
View Quote

Mtnman is exactly right about the sharpmaker.

You’ve got a nice knife coming. Don’t put it on a belt sander.

And use the sharpmaker occasionally to maintain the edge.  Not just after trying to saw a rock in half

And I will admit, these are pretty nice and very convenient:
Amazon Product
  • One-handed Flip Design: The button lock facilitates the smooth opening of the foldable utility knife with one hand, and safely locks the pocket knife in place when in use, preventing it from accidentally opening or retracting.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#44]
 Spyderco Sharpmaker is pretty easy. I've had it for years and use it every other day for my pocket knives and some kitchen knives. Have water stones and Arkansas stones for the better knives.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top