Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2019 9:13:59 PM EDT
ZT is my go to brand for hard-use knives.  I love their original line, I have 5 of the 0301/0302/0303, along with numerous others.  A few years ago they went a little mall-ninja, but this year's shot show releases are unoriginal and lackluster.

They basically re-released 2 of their current models and made a small new one.

They've discontinued their classics and seem to be getting away from their rugged styles entirely.

The sale forums are full of the 450/470 series, that's a good indicator of how people aren't really that impressed with these.

I realize this is a rant, I'm just unhappy with where this brand has gone.

I'd like to get another overbuilt knife, any brands that are nice and heavy-duty with quality steels?  TOPS, etc?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, I love the Sinkevich ZT’s.  Maybe look at Hinderer’s?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 10:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I dunno, I used to feel like you did about ZT's change in direction.  I have a 0200 and a 0350 and they are well made knives, very true....

That being said, my spyderco endura 4 gets 90% of my pocket time due to size/weight.

If I were to get another ZT, it would be one of their more svelte models....and my current annoyance with them is that they've gone to 3-3.5" blades where I really prefer a ~4" blade, but more with a profile like the 0462....but I don't want to pay $250 for it.  I want to pay ~$125 for it.

But because I can't, I stick with my spyderco and enjoy the large blade in a svelte, utilitarian knife that I've beat the snot out of and it just keeps kicking.

The 0200 and 0350 really are iconic ZT, very true (also 0300, 0301)....but when it comes to a useful knife in my experience...the blade shape/profile/height is really outshined by spyderco's designs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#3]
As always, I'll reccomend a TOPS if you want overbuilt.

Check my post about my new TOPS folding knife that is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:22:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm, I love the Sinkevich ZT's.  Maybe look at Hinderer's?
View Quote
This.

I love my 0450 and 0452.

I will agree it's been a while since I've seen a new release that I liked.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 2:52:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Just got my 0200 back from Kershaw being sharpened. Going on 7 years and now it's good as new.
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As always, I'll reccomend a TOPS if you want overbuilt.

Check my post about my new TOPS folding knife that is ridiculous.
View Quote
That thing is super wide.  I'm looking at the Spie 3.5 models right now
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I love my 562cf but do agree they have lost their original focus.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This.

I love my 0450 and 0452.

I will agree it's been a while since I've seen a new release that I liked.
View Quote
I wish they would make a 450cf without a coated blade
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I rather enjoy my 450, it's about as perfect sized for what I want it to do.  My 470 that I got for a bargin is very nice too and razor sharp.

Above picture is after owning for at least a year of every use.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I disagree.

The Hinderers are just as durable as the 300 series knives if not more as they feature better steels and aren't reliant on the speed safe

The rest is just adapting to market trends. Not everyone wants the same thing and they are good at keeping up with what's going on
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't ask my new to me 470 to be an any better slicer.

The picture makes it seem to be quite bit larger compared to the 450 but is really just an illusion.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 1:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I disagree.

The Hinderers are just as durable as the 300 series knives if not more as they feature better steels and aren't reliant on the speed safe

The rest is just adapting to market trends. Not everyone wants the same thing and they are good at keeping up with what's going on
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I disagree.

Well, it’s a esthetics/design thing for me.  I don’t care for the looks of many of the newer models.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/BTwKiMA.jpg
The picture makes it seem to be quite bit larger compared to the 450 but is really just an illusion.
View Quote
I too enjoy the 470. Hell of a compact carry

*disclaimer: I don't eat A1 on meat. I love it on potatoes
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, it’s a esthetics/design thing for me.  I don’t care for the looks of many of the newer models.
View Quote
Ahh. Exact opposite for me.

The 3 series knives look like lumpy potatoes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#15]
562CF is one of my favs, but they don’t offer much I’m interested in anymore. Which is a shame as they are 30 mins away

My Spyderco Cali CF gets 95% of my carry time
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
562CF is one of my favs, but they don’t offer much I’m interested in anymore. Which is a shame as they are 30 mins away

My Spyderco Cali CF gets 95% of my carry time
View Quote
The 56X series is probably their most solid line up.

Budget variant in the 566 is great although assisted (which is why mine is gone. Also featured premium steels

The 560/1 are great full sized work horse knives in solid steels but look great.

The 562 is a knock out. I like it almost as much as my actual Hinderer. It's thinner, flips better and has a great grind out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hurt muh feels.  These are workhorses.

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just got my 0200 back from Kershaw being sharpened. Going on 7 years and now it's good as new.
View Quote
That was the one knife in their lineup I was interested in and they dropped it.
I don't think they catalog anything like it. Or didn't when I last looked.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's my point--their primary focus are "designer" looking knives now.  There are a few semi-decent, still practical, but they launched ZT as a hard-use knife company.

The newer ones are just like refined, better quality versions of the $8 knife table at gun shows.  Weird blade shapes, goofy grip panels, except the steel is great quality.  They have deviated from what they set out to be.  I really want a new, rugged knife that is built like a brick shit-house.  Thick-spine, a little weight, durable and meant for taking abuse.  I have branched out and moved onto other companies at this point.

On a related note--Cabelas is closing out the Benchmade Adamas (tan handle with serrated blade) for $139.  I did pick one of those up.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's my point--their primary focus are "designer" looking knives now.  There are a few semi-decent, still practical, but they launched ZT as a hard-use knife company.

The newer ones are just like refined, better quality versions of the $8 knife table at gun shows.  Weird blade shapes, goofy grip panels, except the steel is great quality.  They have deviated from what they set out to be.  I really want a new, rugged knife that is built like a brick shit-house.  Thick-spine, a little weight, durable and meant for taking abuse.  I have branched out and moved onto other companies at this point.

On a related note--Cabelas is closing out the Benchmade Adamas (tan handle with serrated blade) for $139.  I did pick one of those up.
View Quote
ZT 804CF may work for you. Maybe the 920
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a 0200. Very well built knife. But like everyone else said, to me everything they have now looks like mall ninja crap.   I’m sure they go good with skinny jeans and man buns though.

Budget I prefer benchmade. My favorite folders are the 3 offered by Grayman knives. Their most recent one is amazing in person.

I know what most think of Medford knives. The praetorian especially. But I never handled one until recently. It was the production scout version. Msrp$425.  I picked it up and fell in love with it!!! I only paid $300 out the door and think it’s worth every penny.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I like it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2019 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a TAD Gear 300 which is my EDC
knife. I love the size & heft. I have lots
of other knives including a ZT350. The
only time I don't have the 300 in my
pocket is when I'm in the woods & don't
want to risk losing it.

Edit to add: I bought this at a LGS in the
used section for $155. It was LNIB.

Link Posted: 2/9/2019 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#24]
ZT guys, should I pick up a like new 562 with the Elmax for $80.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
No reason not to
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes! So long as it isn't a fake.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes! So long as it isn't a fake.
View Quote
Thank you!  You just saved me $80

I was researching how to spot a fake and found a youtube video of a guy opening a china knife with the same serial number as the I was interested in
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#28]
View Quote
Yes it is nice balance between large and small, feels good in the hand and slices really well.  If I had to point out one improvement it would be the nub for the flipper, seems if it were just a 1/16th larger it would deploy a bit faster.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the 560, 562CF, 452CF.

I like them all, the 562 probably the best, the 452 feels a little to steak knifish to me. I bet I would like the 462 better.

I always wanted a 0200 and a 0100. I’d take a 0750 for the right price as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I still have and love my 0350. KAI died to me when they left Ken Onion out in the cold though. Between switching focus to rainbow boutique premium knives like the one above, Kershaw offering more crap knives than Frost Cutlery, and their whiney industry rep on blade forums years ago, I don't foresee me buying them again.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I still have and love my 0350. KAI died to me when they left Ken Onion out in the cold though. Between switching focus to rainbow boutique premium knives like the one above, Kershaw offering more crap knives than Frost Cutlery, and their whiney industry rep on blade forums years ago, I don't foresee me buying them again.
View Quote
To be fair my 470 was anodized by an aftermarket reseller.

It is however a pretty awesome carry knife.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thank you!  You just saved me $80

I was researching how to spot a fake and found a youtube video of a guy opening a china knife with the same serial number as the I was interested in
View Quote
Yeah. When the deal is too good you have to watch out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ynpwznE.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/BTwKiMA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ynpwznE.jpg

That looks Exactly like a Truck Stop display case knife.

I realize it’s the opposite, but still.....
Fwiw, A1 is delicious on meat.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That looks Exactly like a Truck Stop display case knife.

I realize it’s the opposite, but still.....
Fwiw, A1 is delicious on meat.  
View Quote
Yeah, a little. I was just interested in the knife and the fade looked cool on Instagram.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#35]
For you ZT fans SMKW is having a heck of a closeout sale right now.  But they appear to be going fast.  I scored a limited 0452wcf for 180$
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For you ZT fans SMKW is having a heck of a closeout sale right now.  But they appear to be going fast.  I scored a limited 0452wcf for 180$
View Quote
I just grabbed a 0562 from them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I like my 350TS but the new designs look like they go along with embroidered jeans and beard product. Pass.
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I like my 350TS but the new designs look like they go along with embroidered jeans and beard product. Pass.
View Quote
They also are lighter, carry much better and cut longer but those aren't important traits
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They also are lighter, carry much better and cut longer but those aren't important traits
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend towards larger knives 90% of the time.  Some of the new(er) models at still large hard use serious knives.  Pretty much any of the Sinkevich or Hinderer designed ones.  I have handled a lot of the smaller ones and smooth sided titanium knives and while they are beautiful and have excellent fit and finish they just aren't what I look for in a knife.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I got to say that I'm loving the 562.  It feels good in my hand, well ballanced and flips awesome.  It's a great carry knife for work and everyday use, but could see wanting something a tad lighter/smaller for church clothes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#41]
At least they aren't fucking over the gun community like BM....
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#42]
I have 7 ZT knives and I tend to agree. I haven't been interested in any of their new stuff. Too stylish for my tastes.

The 0560 is a fantastic and beautiful knife I can't believe they got rid of it.

Good thing I have 2
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a 0350TS and love it.  If they would come out with a 0350 with the tan coated blade like the 0095 I would be all over it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#44]
It doesn't get any more "overbuilt" than a ZT 0920.

Attachment Attached File

Look how thick this blade is.  Yet it also has enough taper and height to be surprisingly thin by the time you get to the edge.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have 7 ZT knives and I tend to agree. I haven't been interested in any of their new stuff. Too stylish for my tastes.

The 0560 is a fantastic and beautiful knife I can't believe they got rid of it.

Good thing I have 2
View Quote
Agreed, the 0560BW I think is one of the best looking and handling knives I have ever had. It really sucks they discontinued it.  I regret not getting a few as backups
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:18:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It doesn't get any more "overbuilt" than a ZT 0920.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453175/920_Thickness_jpg-858702.JPG

Look how thick this blade is.  Yet it also has enough taper and height to be surprisingly thin by the time you get to the edge.
View Quote
Agree

Thinking of getting a second one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve had a few ZT knives and they are well made. The problem I had was early on they were not good slicers.
That obviously got way better but you guys are right in that they are getting way to artsy.

I admit I’m more into a Classic Sebenza or a Garath Bull type design.  I have to imagine is a designer it has to be rough to separate yourself from the others.  That in Itself is part of the problem.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:44:23 AM EDT
[#49]
When they were announced as discontinued (I guess it wasn't a good seller) in December I picked up a 2nd one at the clearance price so I would never be without a backup.  Hell of a lot of knife for $170.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I've got a few Zero Tolerance knives.

566, 450, 452, 350, 770, 562, 470...

I've been EDC'ing my 450CF for over a year and it's my favorite ZT.  The 470 I recently picked up has a weaker detent then I like & the pocket clip always digs into my middle finger when I open it.  Hopefully ZT will be able to "fix" the detent and a deep carry pocket clip should resolve the other issue.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top