Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2024 6:39:38 PM EDT
I just recently picked up my first lever action, Henry Big Boy X in 38spl/357 mag and was wondering what can to get for it? Does anyone have this lever gun and if so what can are you currently using? What are considered great pistol suppressors on the market right now? This setup is just for fun and I suppress everything at this point so.  Suggestions and considerations appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: arndog123] [#1]
I tested a few and my favs were the Wolfman,  Mojave 9, Obsidian 45 and R9.  Eventually dedicated one of my R9’s to it.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I use an omega 9k on mine. Good size and suppression.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dale5150:
I use an omega 9k on mine. Good size and suppression.
View Quote

I really wanted to use the O9K on the rifle but found it a little loud.  What brand of ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I run the OCL lithium on mine.  I have been very pleased.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Henry BBX .38/357. I’ve tried my .45 Osprey direct threaded and it wasn’t as quiet as I had hoped. So I added a Rugged 3-lug adapter so I can run my R9 and MOD9. Between the two I think the MOD9 had the slight edge on sound but it is long and the R9 keeps it very compact. For now I’m running it primarily with my R9.

Btw, what rounds are you shooting? I’m still working on a .38 special load with 158 gr bullets and Titegroup. They sound great and accuracy is great.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#6]
For rounds it will be whats available at a good price, I just picked several hundred rounds from freedom munitions, i wanna say they were in the 150 gr range?  its Reman ammo so hopefully no issues.
I didnt even consider the R9 but I will take a look.
Do most people attach direct thread or run an adapter of some sort?
Thanks for the responses
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I reload fir mine. I have an r9 as well as a griffin rev 9 and others. The r9 obscures the sights nore and the others are too long for me. So I use my o9k.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Dead Air Wolfman is impressively quiet. Might be a little hefty in its long configuration.  Short configuration is still quiet though.  Great can specifically for PCCs
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:33:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: peachy] [#9]
ECCO TLX would be a great choice for keeping weight down and preserving handling characteristics. Weighs less than 5 ounces in a direct thread setup.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By peachy:
ECCO TLX would be a great choice for keeping weight down and preserving handling characteristics. Weighs less than 5 ounces in a direct thread setup.
View Quote

I must be getting old and completely forgot about the Ecco TLX 9.
It did pretty well when used on my Ruger 77/357 shooting 38’s.   So it should do well with the Henry too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By arndog123:

I must be getting old and completely forgot about the Ecco TLX 9.
It did pretty well when used on my Ruger 77/357 shooting 38’s.   So it should do well with the Henry too.
https://i.ibb.co/KN8vXCV/IMG-0888.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Arndog, seems like you got quite the selection there, which has been the quietest to your ears that you have used ?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The Dead Air Wolfman has been the quietest.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

What he said
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:25:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MacAttack] [#14]
Originally Posted By Kgknight1037:
For rounds it will be whats available at a good price, I just picked several hundred rounds from freedom munitions, i wanna say they were in the 150 gr range?  its Reman ammo so hopefully no issues.
I didnt even consider the R9 but I will take a look.
Do most people attach direct thread or run an adapter of some sort?
Thanks for the responses
View Quote

All my 9mm cans are setup to run on my PCCs which have 3-lug barrels. Rather than pull the 3-lug Hub out of each of them, I decided to add a 3-lug adapter to my BBX all thought I did run my Osprey as direct thread. Nothing wrong with threading one on. The 3-lug adapter adds about 1-2 inches to the length of the barrel but in my case I never shoot it with a can so it’s fine.

I have a GSL Phoenix in jail and can’t wait to try it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:

What he said
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Useafortyfive:

What he said

I will also echo this.

Buuut due to its length/weight  I keep it on a much shorter host. My R9 lives on it now. Very quiet.

I think I'll try my ti rant on it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#16]
The R9 on my Henry with 38 SPL is incredible. The hammer dropping is the loudest part of the shot.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Wolfman 9 with direct thread checking in.

Quiet, really quiet with 38 subs.  I have a pile of reloaded 38 125s pushed by 4.5-4.7gr of HP38.  It sounds like a pellet gun.

Have been a few times w/ ears on when I wasn't sure if I cycled it properly, all I heard was the hammer dropping, but definitely heard it plink the steel at 100.  Was kinda cool the first time it happened.

The rifle is a little long and heavy with the can on it, but no issues slapping steel at pistol distances.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By peachy:
View Quote

That would be my choice for the same reasons.

I use a Dead Air Odessa on my Rossi R92.  It's like suppressed 22LR quiet.

Link Posted: 5/20/2024 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:22:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks again gents. This helps to give me a starting point and figure out what I want to go with
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top