Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2021 3:50:53 PM EDT
Mine should be coming in tomorrow and wait to get it but I'm already looking at upgrades for it. I plan to submit papers for it to be a SBS.

I know a lot of what I read said new sights but does anyone have a suggested sight? Also already have the mini shots shell adapter for my full size 590.

Is there a better forward/pump grip? Is there a good vertical or horizontal grip to get?

Is the Knoxx Breacher Gen III stock really all that it's hyped up to be?

Any advice would help. Thanks.

Edited: Thank to Pigbat I feel I need to explain the roll or job of this weapon. I'm looking for a weapon that has multiple uses. Snake, hogs to 2 leg varmints.

I want a third weapon that I  can carry on me without having to much weight and that can use common ammo.

Rifle, pistol and shotgun! Makes a great triangle and covers most of your needs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#2]
XS Big Dot Sight
Metal Safety
Hogue Stock
Hogue Forearm
Velcro side-saddle
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
The first thing I did was oder an Op Sol adapter so I can shoot Aquila Mini Shells .
Next I put on a brace . Now that I can sight it I may get a red dot .
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
1) Add nothing that makes it larger, bulkier, or heavier
2) Replace stock furniture with wood, or get the Nightstick version
3) USGI Carbine sling
4) Fiber optic front bead
5) Minishell adapter for play; not certain I'd use it for serious work
That's it. KISS. To each his own, but seeing all these Shockwaves with gubbins sticking out everywhere reminds me of the 13-pound "Swiss Army Knife" AR-15s.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1.  Reverse the strap on the pump.
2.  Brace and SBS+stock.
3.  Grip tape.
4.  Replace the safety.
5.  RMR or Truglo micro LASER.
6.  Sling.

I'm not a big fan of receiver mounted shell carriers but it seems as though everyone else is so:

7.  Receiver mounted shell carrier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
1.  Reverse the strap on the pump.
2.  Brace and SBS+stock.
3.  Grip tape.
4.  Replace the safety.
5.  RMR or Truglo micro LASER.
6.  Sling.

I'm not a big fan of receiver mounted shell carriers but it seems as though everyone else is so:

7.  Receiver mounted shell carrier.

Thanks! Might I ask why reverse the strap? I have not heard anyone else say this and just curious why you recommend it?

Safety was one I did forget also to check thanks. As for the stock like I said I'm going to put in paperwork for it to be a SBS.

Not sure if I should spend the money on the brace for until I get the stamp or spend half the amount on a Breacher grip for it.

Grip tape? Just like to know why you say that?

Last what sling do you recommend?

Quoted:
The first thing I did was oder an Op Sol adapter so I can shoot Aquila Mini Shells .
Next I put on a brace . Now that I can sight it I may get a red dot .

I have the OP Sol adapter on my full stock 590. I'm will remove it of not but another. Also been looking at reloading 1 3/4 inch shells.

The brace that's where I'm hung up on I plan on making this a SBS but still want to use it until I get the stamp. So brace or breachers pistol grip? I'm kind of 50/50 with both since I'm making it a SBS.

Quoted:
3) USGI Carbine sling
That's it. KISS. To each his own, but seeing all these Shockwaves with gubbins sticking out everywhere reminds me of the 13-pound "Swiss Army Knife" AR-15s.

You have the most interesting comments and I respect what you have to say just asking why?

Heavy wood over a light brace? Why would you take wood grip over a brace?

Also your suggestion does need ME to explain more the job of this weapon.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Add optic rail
Add red dot
Add metal safety
Add sling mount(s)
Add sling

Red dot makes it so much easier to shoot the things, and with good red dots with crazy battery life being so cheap, not an expensive upgrade at all.
Safety is a mandatory upgrade imo. I broke mine with no abuse at all... not sure why they continue to make such a terribly fragile safety as standard when I'm pretty sure a change to polymer formulation would fix the issue.
I used a single point sling on mine, but 2-point is nicer for actually hauling the thing around.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Turn it into an M2

M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#8]
SBS + Hogue stock
Metal safety
Sling
Ammo card
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You have the most interesting comments and I respect what you have to say just asking why?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3) USGI Carbine sling

It seems many (?most) folks are looking at filling the role of a SBS.
I look at it instead as the descendent of the Marshal's Service Witness Protection shotgun. In that role, the fewer things sticking out, the better. My preference for wood furniture is based on that (admittedly) aesthetic consideration. Weight difference is negligible. The Carbine sling (when properly installed), allows you to carry it slung vertically strong-side, use weak hand to unsnap the sling at the front, and swing the gun up to bring it into action. Fiber optic front sight stays with the KISS/no gubbins concept.
Different role, requiring a different configuration.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I wanted to keep the same format as it was approved.. added a 5 shot side saddle, and adjustable hand loop of 1" nylon strapping with a QD swivel to the grip sling stud... adjust loop length between thumb and fore finger so tension is on the strap and trigger can be reached... greatly improves the ability to control recoil
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:16:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]
My first upgrade was realizing all of the 12 gauge ammo I had was high brass, and I shot a shotgun with one hand back when my entire knowledge of guns came from 80s action movies, and that was a mistake.

Other than that, I've been thinking wood furniture and a heat shield for the barrel so it will look cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Honestly the best thing I did was a green Crimson Trace saddle laser. Visible except in broad daylight. Like a giant laser pointer that fires buckshot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]

tritium front bead
Steel safety
Grip tape
Streamlight TL racker pump handle light
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I did the following mods to both my Shockwave and 590A1:

Added velcro to receiver for shot shell cards to be used as a side saddle. Long strip on left side for 5 shot cards loaded with buck. Smaller square on right side behind ejection port for 2 round cards holding slugs. The stock on my 590 has a strip of velcro on it for an extra 5 round card as well.
Replaced safety with extended metal one.
Replaced forearm with Streamlight TL Racker.
Installed GG&G quick detatch rear sling attachment (replace tigger group pin) for use with The Wilderness singlepoint slings (I'm not a fan of 2 point slings on pump guns)
Installed Trijicon SRO with Scalarworks SYNC mount (lower profile than any other mount I could find).

Those are the only 5 mods I needed to set the guns up the way I want them. Added bonus they are configured identical with exception of grip/stock, barrel and forearm length. This works for me in my intended uses, YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 3:19:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I got a brace for mine and I'll tell you it's not fun to shoot 4 buck with from the hip.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 11:24:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I also removed the strap off mine because I firmly believe that if your hand was to slip while firing the shot/slug would be beat your hand to the end of the barrel. I also stippled it (not a pretty job either). The smoothness of the bird head grip made it feel like it was going to slip out of my hand when I would point it down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top