Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2023 11:00:35 PM EDT
I currently have a Dahua NVR/camera system, Ring doorbell, and Tactacam cell cams. The Dahua NVR/camera system works well but I do need to adjust the sensitivity of alerts. I currently have the alerts off because they’ll send my phone a motion notification over a gnat or a pine needle moving. Our Ring doorbell works well for cars pulling up our driveway but is also activated by our barn cats roaming on the covered front porch, so that gets muted at night also. The cell cams are in various areas of the woods but a lot of wildlife cause them to trip and aren’t the best for our application in the realm of immediate security. I think I need to figure out the sensitivity adjustments of the camera system and Ring doorbell, but I would also like to add in a home based security system with a monitor of some kind, window and door alarms, glass break sensors, smoke ale arms, and water alarms with cell capability/backup in the event our internet fails. Which company should I be looking into?
Link Posted: 7/10/2023 3:04:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1stID] [#1]
I've been very happy with my SimpliiSafe system.

Bought one for my house maybe 5-6 years ago.  Was easy to install myself and set up, with no wires.  I had about a 20% dud / crib death rate for the sensors out the box, but SS sent me new ones without issues, and they all worked since then.  On a new system I purchased a few months ago, everything has worked fine. Was easy to set up using my phone and their app.

The monitoring plan is only 20 bucks a month, and they do call the cops when it goes off - had the police come out one time when 1. My cat set off the motion dector 2. Didn't have my phone with me 3. My neighbor didn't answer his phone either for the backup check by them.

Alarm experts po-po it, and will tell you "just buy this Honeywell base stations and these wireless sensors and make sure to set it to ..", in the same way an AR expert would tell a new buyer "Don't buy a full rifle, just buy a lower, and your own parts kit, and an upper, but don't get that 1/9 barrel twist, 1/8 or faster if you're shooting 62 grain loads, and make sure it's a stainless barrel not that crap chrome ..." while the new shooters is trying to figure out what he's saying, and wants to shoot not shop and assemble.

For an already built, plug and play alarm, with all the motion/glass/entry/smoke/water/panic/freeze sensor plus cameras that you could every want, and low priced monitoring, it's the way I'd recommend.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I went the build your own route with Surety. I bought the IQ4 panel and remote panel from them along with a sensor or two, then went to eBay/Amazon to buy the rest because they are 10% cheaper and I bought a lot. I put wireless contacts on all my doors and windows, a motion sensor, flood detector, and a FF345 sensor to tie into the house smokes/CO. It does both Internet and LTE reporting.

Programming is very simple versus the older panels like Ademco, etc and it is very portable.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1stID:
I've been very happy with my SimpliiSafe system.

Bought one for my house maybe 5-6 years ago.  Was easy to install myself and set up, with no wires.  I had about a 20% dud / crib death rate for the sensors out the box, but SS sent me new ones without issues, and they all worked since then.  On a new system I purchased a few months ago, everything has worked fine. Was easy to set up using my phone and their app.

The monitoring plan is only 20 bucks a month, and they do call the cops when it goes off - had the police come out one time when 1. My cat set off the motion dector 2. Didn't have my phone with me 3. My neighbor didn't answer his phone either for the backup check by them.

Alarm experts po-po it, and will tell you "just buy this Honeywell base stations and these wireless sensors and make sure to set it to ..", in the same way an AR expert would tell a new buyer "Don't buy a full rifle, just buy a lower, and your own parts kit, and an upper, but don't get that 1/9 barrel twist, 1/8 or faster if you're shooting 62 grain loads, and make sure it's a stainless barrel not that crap chrome ..." while the new shooters is trying to figure out what he's saying, and wants to shoot not shop and assemble.

For an already built, plug and play alarm, with all the motion/glass/entry/smoke/water/panic/freeze sensor plus cameras that you could every want, and low priced monitoring, it's the way I'd recommend.
View Quote

This..SimpliiSafe system what i went with past Dec when i purchased another house..

Zero issues with it. I purchased front and back door, water sensor, temp sensor, front door lock and fire alarms..

When i was putting it up fire alarms I waited a week to finishing putting them up since I already had wired fire alarms in the house..

The one in the "computer room" i left the fire alarm on top of the router by accident.. SimpliiSafe thought i was having a fire.. Went to make sure no fire and found i left the alarm on top of the router. So they work.

It alerted me and SimpliiSafe called with in minute of getting the alarm. If i need fire department.

I do have ring for front and back doors, but this year during the black friday sale I'll get more cameras for SimpliiSafe system to get the corners of my house, because my house sits off the road that you cant see anything from the road way.. I always seem to have people come up my drive way.

My last house I had adt and they suck period.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my Simplisafe also.

We have a different company on our new house (I like that they can contact us over a speaker/mic rather than relying on phone) but I did move my Simplisafe system from an old workshop property to the new house as a dedicated alarm for my safe.

Monthly monitoring is reasonable, no installation costs, can bring it with you if you move.  Lot of pluses.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Simplisafe also.   It is decent.   No false alarms so far.   Easy to configure.   Reasonably responsive.  

The base station chimes when doors are opened.   That can be good or bad.   Personally I like it because I live alone.  

I would like it be more aggressive about alerting you when the alarm is in HOME mode and a door is opened rather than wait until the timer expires and sounding an alarm.   I bought an extra keypad for the bedroom just to have the chirping noise when a door is opened.  

The WIFI on it isn't the best.   I have had to relocate the base station to be closer to the router to improve reliability.   Not an issue because everything is wireless.   I have other WIFI devices in the same room that the base station was in and they never had an issue.

When the system is disarmed the push notifications alert you that it is disarmed and which code disarmed it.   This has been nice when my son drops in and I am not home.  

Sensors can be configured to only be monitored when the system is armed or all of the time.    No additional options.   The system doesn't support zones which is a bit of a bummer but as cheap as it is......  

Cameras require WIFI and broadband.   The rest of the system can get by with cellular.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
i have put in dsc wired systems in every home i have for the last 20 years, they work and you can control them from your phone by adding a card and app.  for me wired is always better
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 2Hut8:
I have Simplisafe also.   It is decent.   No false alarms so far.   Easy to configure.   Reasonably responsive.  

The base station chimes when doors are opened.   That can be good or bad.   Personally I like it because I live alone.  

I would like it be more aggressive about alerting you when the alarm is in HOME mode and a door is opened rather than wait until the timer expires and sounding an alarm.   I bought an extra keypad for the bedroom just to have the chirping noise when a door is opened.  

The WIFI on it isn't the best.   I have had to relocate the base station to be closer to the router to improve reliability.   Not an issue because everything is wireless.   I have other WIFI devices in the same room that the base station was in and they never had an issue.

When the system is disarmed the push notifications alert you that it is disarmed and which code disarmed it.   This has been nice when my son drops in and I am not home.  

Sensors can be configured to only be monitored when the system is armed or all of the time.    No additional options.   The system doesn't support zones which is a bit of a bummer but as cheap as it is......  

Cameras require WIFI and broadband.   The rest of the system can get by with cellular.
View Quote

You can control these aspects via the phone based app.  You can turn off the door chimes at the base station, adjust the volume, and have sounds come out of the sirens as well when a door is opened, or not at all.

I'm pretty sure too you can turn the time delay when in Home mode to zero seconds.  But if you're like me, you'll forget sometimes to turn it off in the morning, and then will be scrambling to shut the sirens off and wait for their call.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I just went all-in with SimpliSafe this month to take advantage of their deep discount around the Black Friday week. They still have components discounted 40% off through December, so I've added a few more devices to my original base package. I'll share a few observations below.

View Quote

This option is under My System -> Device Settings in the app. Under each device, such as the Front Door entry sensor, you have the option to turn on Instant Trigger, which will remove the countdown and activate the siren immediately. You can select this individually for each sensor, so you don't have to set a blanket condition for the whole system.

Another feature I like is the Secret Alert under the Alarm Mode settings in Device Settings. This sends a text / email to your phone(s) if the sensor is tripped instead of alerting the monitor service or setting off the siren. I put an entry sensor on the door to my workshop, which is inside the house, because I don't want littles going in and messing with things. I mostly trust them, so I didn't feel the need for a lock, but I wanted to be notified if they go in there. The sensor sets off the chime when the alarm isn't active, and in Home mode, the Secret Alert will sent me a text and trigger the app, rather than alerting the monitoring service.

View Quote

You can select individual settings for each sensor, so you can in effect set up zones manually. For example, with a walkout basement, you could put a motion sensor in the basement and set it to activate the alarm even in Home mode. If you don't go down there often when you're at home but want to be alerted if an intruder enters the basement, you can set it up that way.

You could do the same thing for an outdoor shed, as long as it's within Wi-Fi range. You could put a sensor on the shed door and configure it to trigger the alarm in Home mode, so you'll be alerted if someone enters the shed during the day while you're home.

Originally Posted By 1stID:
You can control these aspects via the phone based app.  You can turn off the door chimes at the base station, adjust the volume, and have sounds come out of the sirens as well when a door is opened, or not at all.

I'm pretty sure too you can turn the time delay when in Home mode to zero seconds.  But if you're like me, you'll forget sometimes to turn it off in the morning, and then will be scrambling to shut the sirens off and wait for their call.
View Quote

I definitely like how you can figure all these settings individually by sensor, as I mentioned above. I like being able to gradually add more devices to the system over time, so I can spread out the cost or add things when I identify something (door or access point) that isn't sufficiently covered.

The one disappointment I've run into is that the entry sensors are too be to attach to some types of windows. The two halves of the magnetic sensor have to be aligned a certain way, which doesn't work on all window designs. In cases like that, you may need to cover the area with a motion sensor, but then be aware that you won't get an alert when it's in Home mode, unless you set the sensor that way.

Last thing: I may have to upgrade the outdoor camera mounts to the style that have a screw style attachment point. The magnetic mount that they come with are handy, but I noticed that one of my cameras slowly rolled over and ended up on its side somehow. I'm not sure if the wind caught it just right, or if it was an issue with the poles in the magnet? It was kind of funny - it alerted me to motion, and I watched the camera view slowly rotate about 120 degrees as it tipped over on the magnet mount.

Overall, I'm very happy with the system and have enjoyed learning about its features. I'm sure I'll continue to tinker with it in the coming months to tweak it to my preferences.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
In addition to Camera's as discussed in  the thread.
Recommend Zombie Bars on  all Windows and motion activated lighting.
Recommend you reinforce all Door Framing and install hardened  doors with Dead Bolts.
Also put a  Rod Iron Storm Door with Deadbolt in front of  the Doors.

This is what we  have done.

It will take the  Villians some time with Tools and Hell  of a Racket to bust in anywhere.

More than  enough time for ms gamboolgal and I to properly prepare to hold a Prayer Meeting with the Pilgrims...

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Everyone still happy with Simplisafe?

We are trying to help my aunt with a vacation home and she is leaning towards a monitored system.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By rippr334:

We are trying to help my aunt with a vacation home and she is leaning towards a monitored system.
View Quote

As before, I've not had many problems with mine.

I had a window entry sensor fall off the frame and activate the system, but that happens with when you have sticky tape to hold them.  Only time that's happened.

I do get some components randomly stop working, then either they come back on (motion sensors, glass break), or if not, I remove them from the system list, and add them back.  Sort of a hassle but I don't know if that's the case with all systems at this price range.

Again, if you want to spend the time to learn all about wireless systems I'm sure you can build a better system from parts, like you can an AR.  But it's not a hobby for me, like guns are, so for buy and install and use, it's a good system.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I love mine.  I have had mine so long, I had the “old” system.  When I bought it I went all out on window and door sensors, motion sensors, 3 outdoor sirens and glass breaks. Spent about $900 total on everything.

This past spring my control board at the back door stopped communicating with the base station.  Simpli Safe walked me through a few “fixes” and they determined it wasn’t fixable.  They didn’t have old replacement parts either.  

About 4 days later I received a completely new and “free” system delivered by FedEx.  Included a replacement for everything I had including the 3 outside sirens.  The new system works much better with their ap then the old one did.  I pay for the interactive monitoring.  

Very nice to be able to see everything about your system from a phone or tablet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:

I love mine.  I have had mine so long, I had the “old” system.  When I bought it I went all out on window and door sensors, motion sensors, 3 outdoor sirens and glass breaks. Spent about $900 total on everything.

This past spring my control board at the back door stopped communicating with the base station.  Simpli Safe walked me through a few “fixes” and they determined it wasn’t fixable.  They didn’t have old replacement parts either.  

About 4 days later I received a completely new and “free” system delivered by FedEx.  Included a replacement for everything I had including the 3 outside sirens.  The new system works much better with their ap then the old one did.  I pay for the interactive monitoring.  

Very nice to be able to see everything about your system from a phone or tablet.
View Quote

Yes, it's handy to be able to turn the system on or into Home or Away mode, via your phone.

Nice that SS took care of you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:44:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onealphay2k] [#14]
Originally Posted By twoisone:
I went the build your own route with Surety. I bought the IQ4 panel and remote panel from them along with a sensor or two, then went to eBay/Amazon to buy the rest because they are 10% cheaper and I bought a lot. I put wireless contacts on all my doors and windows, a motion sensor, flood detector, and a FF345 sensor to tie into the house smokes/CO. It does both Internet and LTE reporting.

Programming is very simple versus the older panels like Ademco, etc and it is very portable.
View Quote

+1 on Suretyhome.com + IQ4 Panel.  I have been with them for 7 years.  Recently replaced my IQ2+ panel for the IQ4.  Have the add on that allows up to 16 wired sensors and ext siren.  Use a mix of wired and encrypted wireless sensors.  Includes Zwave+ for home automation integration.  It manages my Sonos, my MOEN Flo, lights, garage door, Schlage door locks, and Thermostat.  Monitoring is the Surety Alarm.com account and works great.  Dual path through ATT LTE and WiFi.  Surety has great DYI support through their forum which they respond quickly.  Highly recommend.  Monthly cost is $30 for full package allowing all features.

FYI, I bought a Simplisafe system 10 years ago and sent it right back.  It’s probably fine for plug and play, but lacks so many features and expansion that the IQ4 offers.  Good luck
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Beats the shit out of anything electronic…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GlockfanUT:
Beats the shit out of anything electronic…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/IMG_1326_jpeg-3163300.JPG
View Quote

I've got one of these, I sleep easy at night. She's getting a bit older though at 9 years old and I don't know if at my current point in life I can give enough time to a puppy, and I have young children so adopting a GSD is probably out as some aren't good with children they're not used to.

I've started to look into electronic systems. May go Simplisafe.  Anyone have experience with Wyze https://www.wyze.com/pages/home-security-monitoring-systemhome security systems? I have a couple of their cameras, and really like them for their simplicity and affordability but don't know about their security system, also they're Chinese
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve got Ring watching 360 around my farm. Had a spotlight cam light die, Ring sent me another for free, told me to keep the old one. Light didn’t work but since the cam still worked fine, moved it out to a blind spot on the barn. Only thing is the battery powered cams stop working when temp gets to 0 or less, which is common in January and February, for weeks at a time. The one feature I like is that all video and 30 second pic get sent up to the cloud and saved for 30 days. And the infrared is excellent. I can see you but you can’t see me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I'm very happy with my system so far, but only about four months into using it. I've added a few things each time they've run a sale (up to 40% off accessories), which makes the components seem a lot more affordable. I really like the modularity that allows you to add features / devices whenever you want to.

I'm not totally excited about the foam tape mounting system for sensors, but they do include screws so you can more permanently mount the components. I'll probably do that with my door and motion sensors eventually. The corner motion sensors seem to be the most sensitive to being mounted improperly. I stuck one in the corner of a room and apparently didn't have the angled sides pressed evenly into the corner of the walls, so it fell off a couple minutes later. I was able to stick it back in place, and it's stayed there.

I wish they may smaller entry sensors, or ones with a 90 degree offset design (for the corner formed by a window and window frame). I bought some extra entry sensors to use for windows but couldn't fit them with the design of our windows, which are recessed in a deep window frame. I would need to mount half the sensor on the window and the other half at a right angle to it on the inset window frame. Hard to describe, but you'd see it immediately if you have the same style of windows.

I like the outdoor cameras, but I can see it getting tedious to replace the batteries every month or two. The batteries (understandably) drain faster on cameras that face high traffic areas, like your garage or front walk where delivery guys show up regularly. I bought a spare battery so I always have one charged that I can swap out in a camera and then charge the dead battery so it's ready when the next one needs to be changed.

The outdoor cameras use a magnetic mount that's very convenient but has a couple drawbacks. It has a "knob" that you mount to the exterior of the house with a couple screws. The camera then sticks to the knob, held on with a magnet. It's a fairly strong connection - the camera isn't going to fall off - but I've discovered that it's weak enough that the camera seems to move out of position in locations that are exposed to high winds. I have one in a corner that I've watched (on video) as it slowly rotates and then turns upside down, presumably from a draft or strong breeze that's rushing up the corner of the house. You also have to try to hold the camera in place while changing the battery and then check on your phone to make sure it's still pointing where you want it when you're done. That's a minor issue, but I just ordered some of the SimpliSafe wall mounts that have a screw-in connection to the camera to hold the camera in place more securely.

I bought a couple SimpliSafe smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and am in the process of picking locations for them. Our house came with an integrated smoke / fire alarm system (required now, at least in VA), but it doesn't have a way to alert us when we're away from the house, so I wanted that feature. I wish they did explosive gas detection as well, because we had a scare a couple weeks ago when our dog turned on one of the gas burners on our stove while scavenging leftovers off the stovetop. The burner didn't ignite, so it filled up most of the house with gas before we realized it. I bought two Kidde Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide Detectors as extra insurance, but I would have preferred to have something integrated into the SimpliSafe system.

Lastly, I'm not sure the base station siren is loud enough for us to hear immediately in our basement or our bedroom upstairs. I bought one of their separate sirens to put upstairs, but it looks like (based on the specs) it's a lot louder than the base station. It seems to be marketed as an external siren that can alert your neighbors, rather than to help alert people in the home. I'm concerned that it may be a distraction or reduce awareness / obscure conversation if it's going off while we're trying to deal with an intrusion or emergency. I haven't tested it to see because I don't want to activate the alarm. I may call SimpliSafe and alert them that I'm going to test it so I can see how it sounds where I have it emplaced.

That was a lengthy update to say that I'm overall very satisfied with the system, despite a few minor complaints.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

I'm very happy with my system so far, but only about four months into using it. I've added a few things each time they've run a sale (up to 40% off accessories), which makes the components seem a lot more affordable. I really like the modularity that allows you to add features / devices whenever you want to.

I'm not totally excited about the foam tape mounting system for sensors, but they do include screws so you can more permanently mount the components. I'll probably do that with my door and motion sensors eventually. The corner motion sensors seem to be the most sensitive to being mounted improperly. I stuck one in the corner of a room and apparently didn't have the angled sides pressed evenly into the corner of the walls, so it fell off a couple minutes later. I was able to stick it back in place, and it's stayed there.

I wish they may smaller entry sensors, or ones with a 90 degree offset design (for the corner formed by a window and window frame). I bought some extra entry sensors to use for windows but couldn't fit them with the design of our windows, which are recessed in a deep window frame. I would need to mount half the sensor on the window and the other half at a right angle to it on the inset window frame. Hard to describe, but you'd see it immediately if you have the same style of windows.

I like the outdoor cameras, but I can see it getting tedious to replace the batteries every month or two. The batteries (understandably) drain faster on cameras that face high traffic areas, like your garage or front walk where delivery guys show up regularly. I bought a spare battery so I always have one charged that I can swap out in a camera and then charge the dead battery so it's ready when the next one needs to be changed.

The outdoor cameras use a magnetic mount that's very convenient but has a couple drawbacks. It has a "knob" that you mount to the exterior of the house with a couple screws. The camera then sticks to the knob, held on with a magnet. It's a fairly strong connection - the camera isn't going to fall off - but I've discovered that it's weak enough that the camera seems to move out of position in locations that are exposed to high winds. I have one in a corner that I've watched (on video) as it slowly rotates and then turns upside down, presumably from a draft or strong breeze that's rushing up the corner of the house. You also have to try to hold the camera in place while changing the battery and then check on your phone to make sure it's still pointing where you want it when you're done. That's a minor issue, but I just ordered some of the SimpliSafe wall mounts that have a screw-in connection to the camera to hold the camera in place more securely.

I bought a couple SimpliSafe smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and am in the process of picking locations for them. Our house came with an integrated smoke / fire alarm system (required now, at least in VA), but it doesn't have a way to alert us when we're away from the house, so I wanted that feature. I wish they did explosive gas detection as well, because we had a scare a couple weeks ago when our dog turned on one of the gas burners on our stove while scavenging leftovers off the stovetop. The burner didn't ignite, so it filled up most of the house with gas before we realized it. I bought two Kidde Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide Detectors as extra insurance, but I would have preferred to have something integrated into the SimpliSafe system.

Lastly, I'm not sure the base station siren is loud enough for us to hear immediately in our basement or our bedroom upstairs. I bought one of their separate sirens to put upstairs, but it looks like (based on the specs) it's a lot louder than the base station. It seems to be marketed as an external siren that can alert your neighbors, rather than to help alert people in the home. I'm concerned that it may be a distraction or reduce awareness / obscure conversation if it's going off while we're trying to deal with an intrusion or emergency. I haven't tested it to see because I don't want to activate the alarm. I may call SimpliSafe and alert them that I'm going to test it so I can see how it sounds where I have it emplaced.

That was a lengthy update to say that I'm overall very satisfied with the system, despite a few minor complaints.
View Quote

Dang, thanks for the good updates. I plan to start with a camera in front and back and maybe the garage and slowly add more stuff as I can.

Have you had any calls to the monitoring service?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Dang, thanks for the good updates. I plan to start with a camera in front and back and maybe the garage and slowly add more stuff as I can.

Have you had any calls to the monitoring service?
View Quote

I fortunately haven't had to call the monitoring service yet. One thing I like about the system is how the alerts go straight to the phone app and also text you when the alarm is activated. As we've gotten used to the system, we've set it off accidentally several times. For example,  a couple weeks after we installed the system, my wife went to the front door to get a package that had been left on our front porch. The alarm was set it Home mode, so it started its countdown, which she didn't hear, and the alarm activated. I was away from the house but got the alert on my phone, checked the front door camera to see that she had opened the door to get the package, and I texted the alarm shutoff code to deactivate the alarm before it alerted the monitoring service. I like that I can deal with it that quickly to avoid triggering the monitoring response when it's a false alarm.

A couple other observations about the cameras that I'm not totally satisfied with: SimpliSafe recommends mounting the camera 6-8 ft off the ground, angled 30 degrees down. When I picked out the locations for my cameras, I wasn't comfortable placing the cameras that low because someone could just reach up and pull the camera off the magnetic mount. Yes, you'd have a recording of them doing it, but then you'd be unable to actively monitor the feed to see what's going on at that location. I ended up mounting mine about 8-10 feet up, where I need a step ladder to install them and change the batteries. Their outdoor camera mount should help alleviate that issue with someone snatching the camera, or at least make it more difficult, since the mount screws into the base of the camera. I'm going to move one of my cameras to a new location that's a little lower and use that mount.

The issue that I think I've discovered with placing the cameras higher is that it seems to delay motion detection a little (which I think they say is part of the reason for the recommended 6-8 ft height). I sometimes find that the motion detection activates the camera when someone is almost right under it, instead of as they're walking up. It also doesn't seem to pick up sound as well. It has a microphone, and I've tested it with my kids where they're standing under the camera, and I try talking to them through the camera's speaker. They can hear me, but I can't really understand what they're saying back to me. I suspect if the camera was lower, it would pick up their voices a little better. To be honest though, I've had some challenges with the doorbell camera too, not always being able to hear what someone at the door is saying. That may also be related to delays in the sound transmission through Wi-Fi. The method of activating the microphone to speak through the cameras takes some getting used to also. For the doorbell camera, you have to press and hold the microphone on the app display while you're talking. For the outdoor cameras, you tap the microphone to turn it on, then speak, then tap it again to turn it off. It's kind of odd that the two types of camera microphones use a different activation process, but I think it's so you don't talk over someone at the door.

Last minor complaint is that the video clips the cameras record aren't immediately available to view after you get a motion detection alert. It takes about 30 seconds before you can play them (the app will tell you it's processing the video recording). Because of this, if you're concerned about an alert you just received, you may want to go to the live camera view first to see if someone / something is still there before you try to watch the recorded clip. I haven't used any other Wi-Fi based camera systems, so this could be how all of them work. I just had an Amazon guy show up and got the alert from my driveway / garage camera. I went to the live feed in time to see the delivery truck driving away from the house, then went back to see the recorded clip of him walking up to the house and then appearing on the doorbell camera.

Last comments about the doorbell camera. I like it a lot and would recommend it since it's hard-wired through the doorbell circuit and doesn't need batteries like the outdoor cameras (which you can get a solar panel charger for, by the way). The doorbell camera was easy to install - just turned off the circuit breaker, removed the doorbell button, and mounted the camera in its place. However, the doorbell camera kit comes with an optional angled mount that tilts the camera up or down. This accommodates locations where you may have angled siding on the house, so you need to angle the camera so it's level. In my case, the doorbell is in the corner of the front porch, so I wanted to angle the doorbell camera to one side to get a full view of the porch and steps. If you call SimpliSafe customer service and let them know that you purchased a doorbell camera, they will send you the lateral angled mounting kit for free (but you pay shipping). I requested two of the kits in case I put another doorbell camera on the back door in the future, and they sent me two with no questions asked.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I wanted, intended, by God was gonna go SimpliSafe...  then after at least a year, likely +2, passed an ADT dude showed up and lied.  

ADT completely sucks in everything.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad I came accross this thread. We building a house in the country and will be using Starlink for TV and internet. We do have mediocre  cell service so I need a monitered system that will work. At our current home, there is a wired system that covers all windows and doors, and uses 3 motion detectors. It has worked perfectly for over 25 years. No outdoor cameras, so I have a Ring doorbell, 2 Ring motion activated floods with cameras, and 2 motion cameras. All the Ring stuff is 120v and I like it.

I hear good things about the SimplySafe system BUT have no interest in battery powered outdoor cameras. Getting older and hate ladders and messing with that kind of thing. My first thought was use a Ring system for all the outdoor needs and the SS system for all the stuff inside. I have no idea what kind of money I would get into just having a company come out and do everything and be done. Buying all the Ring and SimplySafe stuff (waiting on a sale) I figure it would cost about $1500-$1700 to put together a nice system. Am I over thinking this?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By beersngars:
I hear good things about the SimplySafe system BUT have no interest in battery powered outdoor cameras. Getting older and hate ladders and messing with that kind of thing.
View Quote

I’m not thrilled about changing the batteries. While I’m fine now with climbing the stepladder and changing them out, I know it will eventually become a hassle and a potential risk. You do have the option of adding their solar panel charger, but that’s an additional expense.

The solar panel opens up the possibility of hardwiring the cameras though. I suspect it will require a power converter of some sort, but in theory, you could use cables with the same plug and run them through the walls of the house to a power supply, just like another brand of hardwired camera system. I’m going to investigate that idea eventually.

Despite the battery issue, I still prefer this system because of the modularity (adding components whenever you want to / can afford it) and the wide variety of sensors they offer. Adding smoke / carbon monoxide detectors, dropping a couple flood sensors in the utility room and bathrooms, and doing it all in just a couple minutes from the phone app really makes their system appealing to me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#24]
40% off at Simplisafe. Is that a good deal or pretty typical sale?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#25]
40% off at Simplisafe. Is that a good deal or pretty typical sale?
View Quote

That's their best "normal" discount I've seen during the year, when sales tend to fluctuate between 20% and 40%. The 40% sales are usually around holidays and tend to apply to a particular category (like 40% off cameras). The Black Friday week sale when I bought my system was 60% off, but I think that's the only time they offer that big a discount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top