Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2022 5:49:31 PM EDT
Doing some cleaning and found some 30-06 ammo. Not sure what it is other than some is soft point. No idea if Garand safe.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Not worth the risk not knowing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
TH -Royal Ordnance Factory Thorp Arch, Thorp Arch, England

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TH -Royal Ordnance Factory Thorp Arch, Thorp Arch, England

View Quote
No..it's French...berdan and corrosive.  AND the brass is brittle.. throw the powder and projo into new brass and shoot it up.

You will be really hard pressed to find any commercial ammo that is dangerous to the garand.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No..it's French...berdan and corrosive.  AND the brass is brittle.. throw the powder and projo into new brass and shoot it up.

You will be really hard pressed to find any commercial ammo that is dangerous to the garand.
View Quote

I agree, looks French to me.

The soft point looks like a reload to me.  Not worth the risk of shooting, though the bullet could be salvaged.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I was using the head stamp chart for military ammo. Probably is French, though it's not listed under the French section. As always, there are gaps in information. Might find a collector who needs examples over on Gunboards.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was using the head stamp chart for military ammo. Probably is French, though it's not listed under the French section. As always, there are gaps in information. Might find a collector who needs examples over on Gunboards.
View Quote
It's fairly common French milsurp.. nothing special.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry to disagree but you should shoot only ammo designed for the Garand.  150 grain only.  A lot of commercial ammo will destroy the op rod or worse.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sorry to disagree but you should shoot only ammo designed for the Garand.  150 grain only.  A lot of commercial ammo will destroy the op rod or worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No... just no.

There is no such thing as ammo "designed" for the garand.

And 150gr only is a myth.

Pretty much NO commercial ammo will destroy the oprod or the rifle.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL! ...

No, not at all. ... But I’m tired now, it’s hot, and Momma sez dinner is ready.

Look to @Jeremy for the CORRECT answer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Indirectly there is: the various USGI ammunition designed to be used in the M1. And the various commercial loads that mimic the M2 Ball load.    

You are correct.

The CMP doesn't see it that way and I trust them before you:
".....
The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.
...."

View Quote

I corrected your comments for you.

OP:
The French ammo shouldn't used nor should unknown god-knows-what ammo either, in any rifle ,not just an M1.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

OP:
The French ammo shouldn't used nor should unknown god-knows-what ammo either, in any rifle ,not just an M1.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indirectly there is: the various USGI ammunition designed to be used in the M1. And the various commercial loads that mimic the M2 Ball load.    

NO USGI ammo was DESIGNED specifically for the M1 Garand

You are correct.

The CMP doesn't see it that way and I trust them before you:

Good..read what they said..
".....
The CMP advises to not use .30/06 ammunition in M1 Garands, 1903s, and 1903A3s that is loaded beyond 50,000 CUP and has a bullet weight more than 172-174gr. These rifles are at least 70 years old and were not designed for max loads and super heavy bullets. Always wear hearing and eye protection when firing an M1 Garand, 1903 and/or 1903A3 rifle.
...."

key words..."beyond" and "AND" so pretty much all commercial ammo is garand safe

OP:
Try again....your comments have been corrected
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have beaten that horse to death so many times. No more.
View Quote
Agreed..some people just can't leave it alone
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Then there’s this: ...

Should you happen to be goosified about shooting whatever make and bullet-weight of ‘06 ammo through your M1, please be advised that Schuster Mfg.’s adjustable gas plug mitigates all concerns (valid and invalid).  The adj. plug allows you to easily protect the gas cylinder and op rod from damage (real or imaged) by simply turning the screw inside the plug to control gas flow and therefore the op rod’s cycling speed.

The plug also imparts the beneficial secondary effect of allowing the sphincter muscle of the goosified to relax when shooting clips of what might generally be termed “non-spec”/“non-Garand” 30.06 ammo, whether commercial or surplus.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#15]
allowing the sphincter muscle of the goosified to relax
View Quote

Which is a plus I guess.... don't want to go around all day clenched up
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I saved up and bought my first Garand when I was 14 to start reenacting and shot any kind of 06 ammo I could get my hands on and never had any problems with it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I saved up and bought my first Garand when I was 14 to start reenacting and shot any kind of 06 ammo I could get my hands on and never had any problems with it.
View Quote
Including stuff like Winchester softpoints?  You can respond in PM if you want so we don't stir up the hornet's nest.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Including stuff like Winchester softpoints?  You can respond in PM if you want so we don't stir up the hornet's nest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes..they don't cause any problems.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and Remungton because my dad and grandpa both had 06 deer rifles. They were bug fuds back in the early 90s. Now not so much!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I have known some experts in my time.  They do not need to advertise, and they are usually very polite.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have known some experts in my time.  They do not need to advertise, and they are usually very polite.
View Quote

Unknown silent "experts" we never hear from .... uh huh.

Met several of those dudes over the years. Most were found ensconced in comfy chairs in the dark, dusty backrooms of Camp Perry's Commercial Row.

Unrecognized geniuses of all things Old School, they were. They even told me so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top