Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2018 6:31:35 PM EDT
When they priced this new batch of Mosins? They all had pitting and bluing lost from water damage/poor storage as well as a good amount of stock wear from being poorly transported. Every one of them had it's fair share of flaws. I got a picture of the worse one (metal wise), and you can see some of the stock damage on the rifles in the background. You can bring one home with you for the low, low price of $299.99
They also had refurbed Steyr M95 carbines for... wait for it... $499.99.
I guess this shouldn't be a surprise for being Cabela's, but goodness those Mosins were rough.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats some pretty nasty pitting
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
and still they Will sell everyone of those rifles..if there are people wich buy the thing, why not?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It's Cabela's. No surprise.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I was tempted to offer $75 for it
They were import marked by an importer I had never seen before, the name escapes me but they were out of New York. On the hex receiver rifles it was import marked on the right side hex, then cold blued over the engraving, which almost made it disappear, which was a nice change. But the condition of the rifles negated that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
My son and I bought a Mosin at my local Cabela's about three weeks ago. It was absolutely beautiful. Full rifling. Matching numbers. "1939" engraved. Looks like it spent the whole war in Tajikistan.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
But it's NOT Cabelas, it's Bass Pro ! They're calling the shots, now !
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
and still they Will sell everyone of those rifles..if there are people wich buy the thing, why not?
View Quote
He is right. I go to the Gun Library and see people buy nasty worn out surplus high priced stuff all the time.  Crazy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Cabelas seems to have no problem selling anything they put in the rack.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Cabelas in Rogers Mn had some nearly as bad. Four of them priced at $399 each.
The only deal I’ve seen at any candelas lately was a CZ-24 for $269 I told my buddy about and he snagged it today
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I looked threw them just to make sure someone didn't screw up and put something rare in there.
But all their mosins were $75 shooters priced at $299 or more.
And yea they were badly pitted crapshoots.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Is that even safe to shoot?
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is that even safe to shoot?
View Quote
Yes.
The exterior pitting is not significant enough to have safety concerns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#13]
You can give me one of those things for free. Those things are in horrible shape.

Sorry but Mosins just are not my thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, those are horrid, they shouldn't even put them out....

But Cabella's is a bunch of dumb asses....some stuff ridiculously overpriced, but my buddy and I have found some real steals way underpriced guns too...

Sometimes I think they just throw darts to get a price...
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, those are horrid, they shouldn't even put them out....

But Cabella's is a bunch of dumb asses....some stuff ridiculously overpriced, but my buddy and I have found some real steals way underpriced guns too...

Sometimes I think they just throw darts to get a price...
View Quote
Mosins aren't my thing.
Pitted milsurps aren't my thing.
They are selling them, so I completely understand the price.  WWII surplus isn't readily available any longer.

Decent WWII Mausers could be found for $200-250 five years ago.  I bought and sold dozens of them.  Those same rifles can't be touched under $500 now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Mosins aren't my thing.
They are selling them, so I completely understand the price.  WWII surplus isn't readily available any longer.

Decent WWII Mausers could be found for $200-250 five years ago.  I bought and sold dozens of them.  Those same rifles can't be touched under $500 now.
View Quote
In red, maybe...they are out for sale...I don't think many would pull the trigger on those pieces of crap....they are junk, $99 specials....and I wouldn't pay that...
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]
wow, lol at first glance, I was like: "Why did they engrave a mosin" looked at a second later Holy Shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Still don't beat one I saw at a local gun shop years ago.

$90 91/30, they were running $120ish at the time for a cosmoline soaked referb.
Something smashed the last 6inches of the barrel nearly flat. What little gap there was in the barrel was rusted shut. The last 10 in or so of the barrel was rusted so bad it was flaking apart. The magazine had a quarter sized hole rusted thru the side and the magazine floor plate was rusted fast.
I mean....I guess..... On the bright side the bolt and receiver was spotless.
Sad thing is any more I would jump on it just for the bolt at that price.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In red, maybe...they are out for sale...I don't think many would pull the trigger on those pieces of crap....they are junk, $99 specials....and I wouldn't pay that...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mosins aren't my thing.

I don't follow Mosin prices in any detail but I do attend a LOT of auctions.  Nicer ones are bringing significantly more.  High enough for me to notice, even when not bidding.   They may not be moving quickly, but I have no doubt Cabela's will sell them.   Realistically, $300 is not all that much in 2018.

Do I wish I could still buy crates of 10 Chinese SKSs for $450.00? (Lived in Phx at the time B-West was importing them. Arizona was flooded with SKSs)

Yep.

But the days of $99 WWII milsurps are gone.   IMO.

EDIT: Clarity
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#20]
just out of curiosity,

when  what the last time anyone here bought a Mosin for less than $100???

I picked up a crate last year from a guy, and paid about $160 ea, including the crate/bayonets/pouches,

sold them all in about 3 months for $269 and up,  including the crate

I've not seen any at any gunshow in Va for less, and have only bought a handful of them at the shows from customers (I have tables/FFL/SOT) in the $175-200 range  and flip them quick at $300 avg
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
just out of curiosity,

I picked up a crate last year from a guy, and paid about $160 ea, including the crate/bayonets/pouches,

I've not seen any at any gunshow in Va for less, and have only bought a handful of them at the shows from customers (I have tables/FFL/SOT) in the $175-200 range  and flip them quick at $300 avg
View Quote
And your point?

These examples are phenomenal pieces if shit, did you look at the pic? That's the point....the pitting and corrosion are horrendous, and OP said the stocks looked like they soaked in water a good while...

Yeah, good 91/30's are getting harder to find, but these things are a joke....
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 4:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

And your point?

These examples are phenomenal pieces if shit, did you look at the pic? That's the point....the pitting and corrosion are horrendous, and OP said the stocks looked like they soaked in water a good while...

Yeah, good 91/30's are getting harder to find, but these things are a joke....
View Quote
And I bet they'll all end up at a gun show being sold as bring backs or battlefield pick ups for at least double the Cabelas price, knowing how pathetic gun shows are around here.
I'll see how many were sold this weekend when I go back.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

And I bet they'll all end up at a gun show being sold as bring backs or battlefield pick ups for at least double the Cabelas price, knowing how pathetic gun shows are around here.
I'll see how many were sold this weekend when I go back.
View Quote
Well, I guess there will always be people with more $$ than brains...
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#24]
being in the business,  my point is if I had a dollar for every person that told about the mosin/mauser/carbine/whatever they had at Roses for 39.99 and it is a shame they are (insert $$ here) you , I , and have of arfcom could probably retire,

yes, slight exaggeration, but you get my drift,

it's 2018,

stuff has dried up,

prices have gone up, and we just have to deal with it,

meanwhile, I'll be in the garage doing my best to figure out the whole time machine thing
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
being in the business,  my point is if I had a dollar for every person that told about the mosin/mauser/carbine/whatever they had at Roses for 39.99 and it is a shame they are (insert $$ here) you , I , and have of arfcom could probably retire,

yes, slight exaggeration, but you get my drift,

it's 2018,

stuff has dried up,

prices have gone up, and we just have to deal with it,

meanwhile, I'll be in the garage doing my best to figure out the whole time machine thing
View Quote
Yeah, tell me about it, when I started buying 98k's, you could buy mixmaster for $150, bolt mismatches for $250, and all matching guns were $500-$600.

But my point is not so much what the going rate is, but more how Cabella's can put these utter pieces of shutout with a straight face for $299. Cause they are utter pieces of shit, not because Mosins used to be cheap...when Mosins were cheap, these would have been thrown in a junk pile. My buddy would buy crates and crates of Mosins, and we'd sell them all day long at shows for $99...yeah, they were the good old days...although I never bought any back then either, unless it was something really cool...they do nothing for me.

I have a genuine 91/30 sniper, and a Finn capture NEW 91...that's it...and I have had some cool ones, a Sesty, a very early one still with sling swivels, and the finger swell trigger guard...I wish I saved a few over the years, but oh, well...
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd be happy with one of those.

*for the $49 they could be had for in 1995.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#27]
just like any of the rest of their pricing
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Just a follow up. I swung by Cabela's Saturday since I was already nearby and noticed they had sold all but all the Mosins that were in the first post. There was only one Mosin and it was an older import someone must've sold to Cabela's. Color me surprised. I hate to see people actually paid for those pitiful examples.

Also, for those who frequent Cabela's, does yours still have a bargain cave? They cleaned ours out and filled it with tree stands. They took the signage down and everything. Which sucks because that was the only place I'd find stuff that was worth the asking price
I guess it's probably one of the Bass Pro mandated changes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
just out of curiosity,

View Quote
About 15 years ago?  I was getting from 59-89 bucks for 91/30s, M-44s, M-38s with all the accessories with an FFL.  Finnish were maybe 120 or so.  All nice stuff for the most part.  Kept the picks of the litter.  Those days are gone, looks like bottom of the barrel now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I haven’t paid asking price on a used gun at Cabelas in a long time. The gun library guys are usually more than happy to make a deal. They knocked $125 off a Swiss rifle I asked about without even mentioning the price.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#31]
those guns sure look a lot better in a room with nice rugs and felt-topped tables
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I paid $65 for mine in 08 and that was too much. Even when a wooden crate of ammo cost $160ish. No clue why anyone would buy one now with ar prices in the gutter and 7.62x54 ammo prices as high as they are.
Mine looks like it belongs in a museum compared to that pos. Pitting is horrible.

ETA, just for comparison I paid over $1000 for my ar in 2008. I could build one today for around $300 from psa.
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#33]
At our store it all depends on who buys the guns. I’ve bought a ton of guns there that were good and even great deals. There are also generic modern guns priced equal with their new counterparts which will sit forever.

Cabelas pay 2/3 retail so usually what you see is their retail. They aren’t like a gun store that pays as little as possible and marks it as high as they can.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
just out of curiosity,

View Quote
91/30? 7 years ago.

I did buy some slightly rough T53s from SOG about 4 years ago for $80 each. Bought 4, still have 3. Pretty sure I could sell them for $200 now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Must be the ones they are bringing up from all the boating accidents !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top