Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2022 11:54:27 PM EDT
I see they have 8 and 9 pellets and they have 1325 fps and 1145 fps. I'm looking for something with a tight pattern out to 40-50 yards and hear the buzz about this Federal LE flitecontrol buckshot.

Edit: It will be for hunting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Having not used either, I'm aware the 9th pellet flyer is common to 00 buck so I would choose the 8 pellet if I wanted the tightest group.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The 8 pellet load has been consistently tighter out of my 590s, 500s, and 870s by a good margin. My 500 18 in Bbl will be grapefruit sized group at 45 yds. with it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 8 pellet load has been consistently tighter out of my 590s, 500s, and 870s by a good margin. My 500 18 in Bbl will be grapefruit sized group at 45 yds. with it.
View Quote

It really is amazing out of my 14" 590.

But the 8 pellet is hard to find.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 1:59:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have found that the 8 pellet LE133 loading patterns tightest, and recoils the least, followed by t he 9 pellet LE132, and finally the full power LE127, and then the niche Tungsten PHD loading.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
None. I want old school 12 pellet. I don’t really care about pattern size. The 8 pellet flitecontrol pattern is so tight it looks like a slug on your pattern board. Fuck that. I want a little spread at self defense distances and I got the 4 extra pellets going for me…. Which is nice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:08:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
None. I want old school 12 pellet. I don’t really care about pattern size. The 8 pellet flitecontrol pattern is so tight it looks like a slug on your pattern board. Fuck that. I want a little spread at self defense distances and I got the 4 extra pellets going for me…. Which is nice.
View Quote

I like the LE133 stuff under NODS and so forth. Patterns well extending range a good bit vs the old school stuff. Indoors, conventional is fine.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Frankly at this point in time whatever you can find in stock.  It's not like the old days when you could pick and choose.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 5:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Frankly at this point in time whatever you can find in stock.  It's not like the old days when you could pick and choose.
View Quote

I've not had issue sourcing any shotgun ammo I want. Are you sticking with only brick and mortar?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:40:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I have very rarely seen Federal LE ammo available even online of late.  Perhaps I am not looking in the right places.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have very rarely seen Federal LE ammo available even online of late.  Perhaps I am not looking in the right places.
View Quote

Ammoseek searching for 12 ga, then using its filter for “manufacturer” Federal, then keyword Flite, turned up several for me last week

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#11]
OP, does the ninth pellet flier concern you? You didn’t say what you were using it for.
The 8 pellet loads are good for LE because of a tighter pattern helps keep the possibility of a flier hitting a bystander. If that’s not a concern get the 9 pellet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#12]
You’ll need to play around with the different loads out of your shotgun.. The 8 pellet FC I have is very inconsistent out of my 1301.  Out of my 870 it’s GTG. The Hornady 8 pellet load is impressive as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I prefer the 8 pellet, not for group size but for accuracy. My favorite shotguns impact a little high with the 9-pellet loads.   Not by much, maybe 4" at 30 yds, but it's noticeable.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We switched to hornady I believe 8 pellet and have been pleased with patterning so far.

We are using 18” cylinder and improved Remington 870’s
View Quote

Aren't the Hornady's using an almost identical shot cup to the Federal FC?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the 9 pellet full power load.

The 9th pellet is a flier about half the time but will stay inside 12" at 40 yards. And inside 6" at 25 yards
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I found that with buckshot that the determining factor for not needing a follow up shot was making sure all the pellets stay in the torso. Once the range gets to far or if only half the pattern gets on target I needed a follow up. That was with issued buckshot with like a 12-18" pattern at 25yards iirc.

When I got out I never wanted buckshot for SD or hunting untill I found flight control.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I've only used 9 pellet and been able to keep all 9 pellets between the shoulders of a standard B29 target at 50 yards with a beat up 870 with a bead sight and improved cylinder choke.

I dont think you go wrong either way, honestly.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much this.  It’s availability has been spotty.  I just bought three ten round boxes of Hornady American gunner with their version of the flight control was to see how it does. I want to see how it does as an alternative.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#20]
AIM surplus has the LE12700 in stock now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]
8 pellet patterns better for me.

That stuff patterns like a slug out to 25 yards
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#22]
For 00, the 8-pellet is great.

Did they completely discontinue the #1 Flite Control? I still have a case of that, but haven't seen it ANYWHERE in years.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, does the ninth pellet flier concern you? You didn’t say what you were using it for.
The 8 pellet loads are good for LE because of a tighter pattern helps keep the possibility of a flier hitting a bystander. If that’s not a concern get the 9 pellet.
View Quote

It will be for hunting, that is why I'm looking at get the longest range out of it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I went out this morning, and using my M4 Entry, fired 5 rounds of LE133, and 5 rounds of LE132, at the targets shown (22x28 inch posterboard), at 40 yards. The LE133 target shows 39 of 40 possible hits, and the LE132 target shows 41 of 45 possible hits. POI was CM. Pattern density shows to be about 5" low on both targets. The weapon is zeroed for slugs at 50 yards, and buck tends to be dead center at 25 yards. I attribute this to slugs shooting a hair higher because shotguns move under recoil before the round leaves the muzzle. In fact, at 75 yards if I bag and brace up the gauge, I can shoot slugs about 6-8" low compared to well braced standing position. This is why I zero my gauges standing at 50 yards with the slug I intend to use.

LE132 on the left.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.  It’s availability has been spotty.  I just bought three ten round boxes of Hornady American gunner with their version of the flight control was to see how it does. I want to see how it does as an alternative.
View Quote

I have found it to be a poor substitute.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 2:31:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Obviously every gun shoots a little different.

That said my Dept. evaluated a lot of buck and slugs a couple years back and I was part of the group testing.

We issue 14” and 18” Remington 870s and a couple of us are T&E for semi auto shotguns (Benelli M4 and Beretta 1301)

The 8 pellet flight control LE133 did the best out of the widest variety of guns on patterns

LE133 also recoils slightly less which gives an advantage to delivering very fast follow up shots.

We’ve used it in a few OIS and it has performed very well reaffirming it’s dominance in the typical engagements of 0-25y

The shotgun can increase its effective range with FC ammo and slugs but after 50-75y the rifle becomes a superior choice across the board.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It will be for hunting, that is why I'm looking at get the longest range out of it.
View Quote

I’d go with 9 pellet for hunting or maybe try a 3” shell for the extra hits. Hornady makes a 3” heavy magnum load for hunting, I think it’s a 12 pellet round. That’s assuming you’re hunting deer and your gun can shoot a 3”.
If predator hunting I’d use something different.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Obviously every gun shoots a little different.

That said my Dept. evaluated a lot of buck and slugs a couple years back and I was part of the group testing.

We issue 14” and 18” Remington 870s and a couple of us are T&E for semi auto shotguns (Benelli M4 and Beretta 1301)

The 8 pellet flight control LE133 did the best out of the widest variety of guns on patterns

LE133 also recoils slightly less which gives an advantage to delivering very fast follow up shots.

We’ve used it in a few OIS and it has performed very well reaffirming it’s dominance in the typical engagements of 0-25y

The shotgun can increase its effective range with FC ammo and slugs but after 50-75y the rifle becomes a superior choice across the board.

View Quote

What slug was finally selected?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I see they have 8 and 9 pellets and they have 1325 fps and 1145 fps. I'm looking for something with a tight pattern out to 40-50 yards and hear the buzz about this Federal LE flitecontrol buckshot.

Edit: It will be for hunting.
View Quote

@HuntingForFun

This may be worth a watch.  55 yard deer kill with Flite Control buckshot.  I'd add that this video follows along with my own limited experience with buckshot and deer.  

At 50ish yards buckshot will kill them, but unless you get a lucky CNS pellet hit, it's very likely you'll be tracking.  

Out of curiosity, why buckshot?  I've hunted deer with buckshot in Virginia, but only on cull hunts where the use of buckshot as the only means of harvest was a requirement.  

Deer Hunting Performance Test! Federal Flite Control 00 Buckshot
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:18:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@HuntingForFun

This may be worth a watch.  55 yard deer kill with Flite Control buckshot.  I'd add that this video follows along with my own limited experience with buckshot and deer.  

At 50ish yards buckshot will kill them, but unless you get a lucky CNS pellet hit, it's very likely you'll be tracking.  

Out of curiosity, why buckshot?  I've hunted deer with buckshot in Virginia, but only on cull hunts where the use of buckshot as the only means of harvest was a requirement.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41wBr7-QQlI
View Quote

@AeroEngineer Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

For hunting buy a dedicated buckshot screw in choke. I bought a comp n choke x full and the patterns are amazing.

The comp n choke is made especially for the non flight control 3” mag 00 buck15 pellet copper plated load.
View Quote

I agree with this, no experience with the choke mentioned but Kicks Buck Kicker.
I don't hunt with buckshot but I have an interest in tight 00 patterns as far out as is feasable.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

For hunting buy a dedicated buckshot screw in choke. I bought a comp n choke x full and the patterns are amazing.

The comp n choke is made especially for the non flight control 3” mag 00 buck15 pellet copper plated load.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I hunted with buckshot I had a chance to do a little shooting with sone dedicated buckshot chokes.  They do work.

If I was still an occasional buckshot hunter I’d probably just go to go with the 3” Vital Shot 12 pellet 00 Federal load.

I prefer more pellets in a 3” load fir deer hunting.  I’m less worried about follow up shots snd rotor much prefer a lucky pellet hitting something really important.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#34]
1145 is unbelievably accurate. I can't speak for the faster option.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I like the 9 pellet full power load.

The 9th pellet is a flier about half the time but will stay inside 12" at 40 yards. And inside 6" at 25 yards
View Quote

Agree.  Full power 1325 fps 9 pellet 00B FC at a full 50 yards.  22" fixed IC choke Rem 1100 with rifle sights.

Note:  This is the Federal Premium FliteControl hunting load. PFC154 00.  Its not branded LE, but likely the same.

FliteControl works best with more open chokes, unlike other buckshot.

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glad you qualified that.  Not for FliteControl.  It needs IC or even true cylinder.  You don't want to constrict or slow down the wad/shot cup and cause it to separate from the pellets early.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Personally, I keep my HD guns loaded with Hornady’s 12ga Critical Defense load (which also uses the same wad, different name). It is an 8-pellet, 00Buck load that leaves the barrel at 1600fps.

I’ll gladly exchange losing that one pellet for the increased velocity/energy of the 8 pellet load.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#38]
The Hornady with versatite wad is amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top