Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2024 8:37:47 PM EDT
I did a search but got lost in the 10 page thread.  

What should I use as the liquid in the tumbler.

I don't have Dawn or Lemishine on hand.  What else can I use and how much?

When I do get Dawn and Lemishine, how much of those do I use?

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Any dish soap will be fine.  

That being said, some people just add water abd let it roll.

As fas as amount. For dawn I do a small squirt and just a shake or 2 of lemishine.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cardplayer] [#2]
1/2 .45 case of Lemishine dependent on how full the barrel is. Too much and your brass will turn a tarnished yellow.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Last I knew, ArmorAll Wash and Wax was the hotness. That’s what I’ve been using for a few years now and the brass comes out shiny and doesn’t tarnish.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy the cheapest car wash stuff that has wax in it.

A pinch of lemishine

Hot water

Blingy brass every time. The wax will keep them from tarnishing much longer too
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I squirt some dawn in there for about 2 seconds. I don't measure it out. Then use 1/4th of a teaspoon of Lemishine. I've been using this recipe since the early days of wet tumbling when rock tumblers were all that were available. If I have any carwash soap with was in it, I'll often dump a cap full in there too. If I don't have any, I don't worry about it. This combo works great, and I don't end up with discolored brass from too much Lemishine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:41:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#7]
I put off the cleaning until tomorrow after my trip to the store to get the right stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Got it right on the wall above the basement sink:
1/4 tsp Lemishine
2 tbsp Dawn
4 # brass
1 gal distilled water
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:24:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AKSnowRider] [#9]
I use Franklin armory(maker of the FART tumbler) brass cleaner and a squirt of dawn dish soap.. With the big tumbler, I use 2 capfuls of the brass cleaner and 1 good squirt of dawn, fill the container full of water and tumble for 2 hours before dumping and refreshing mixture followed by another hour or two tumble until clean...Rinse and dry...I rarely even use pins any more....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]
3 squirts of Dawn, 1/4 teaspoon of LemonShine/Citric Acid, 4 1/2 #s of brass. Run for 4 hours in a Rebel tumbler with stainless pins. If I'm doing nickel brass than around 2 hours.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sabre19:
Last I knew, ArmorAll Wash and Wax was the hotness. That’s what I’ve been using for a few years now and the brass comes out shiny and doesn’t tarnish.
View Quote

My go to with a bit of Guntap's citric powder ( any citric powder will work). I do believe the wax component reduces effort needed in sizing  straight wall brass.
As far as amounts it will depend on the amount of water you're using, but less is better than too much from some of the posts here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:43:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#12]
View Quote

Here's what I get with basic blue-dawn and lemishine, using media on random range-pickup (this is one sessions pick up of just the 1-fired brass, after they had a 3-gun match the day prior to my range shooting session - so .. heck, I picked it up, since I didn't feel like driving over all that!)

For $6 - sure, i ordered a bottle of that just now based on this.   So far I do lemishine and dawn on tumble 1 (dirty).  Then on tumble 2 (lub removal), I'll do lemishine with rainX to get a film.  Multiple potions and my results can be highly mixed, with at times getting very shiney brass that stays shiney, very shiney brass that turns dull with time, or just dull brass.   For the most part, I don't actually care, as the goal for me really is to get them clean (of debris), and to leave a thin film (hence the rainx), before seating.  But if the all in one bottle of Wash and Wax does all that with just one dose of one compound, I'll give it a shot.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Just don't use any oxy-dish detergent. That stuff will tarnish brass.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Go to Walmart or whatever everything under one roof store you have and go to the canning section. Get a bottle of citric acid and go to automotive and get liquid car wash with wax in it. I use the FART and add a 9mm case of citric acid and 2 tablespoons of turtle wax wash n wax and run for 30 minutes then rinse and maybe do it again for 90. Wear shades when you pull them out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:11:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#15]
Originally Posted By Rugerss3576:
Go to Walmart or whatever everything under one roof store you have and go to the canning section. Get a bottle of citric acid and go to automotive and get liquid car wash with wax in it. I use the FART and add a 9mm case of citric acid and 2 tablespoons of turtle wax wash n wax and run for 30 minutes then rinse and maybe do it again for 90. Wear shades when you pull them out.
View Quote

How did you determine the 2 tablespoon dosing rate?  I've just been adding "some", and probably should come up with a test plan to actually determine what is a good dose.  Curious if maybe you already did a little testing to come up with that?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Some of you guys take this way too seriously. I use the cheap hobo freight dual drum rock tumbler.

Fill 3/4 with brass.

Squirt of $1 dish detergent from Ollies.

Teaspoon of lemishine.

4 hours later bright shiny brass.

BTW there is 0 reason to use hot water. It's going to be room temp for the majority of the run time anyways.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

How did you determine the 2 tablespoon dosing rate?  I've just been adding "some", and probably should come up with a test plan to actually determine what is a good dose.  Curious if maybe you already did a little testing to come up with that?
View Quote

I use the cap on the wash-n-wax bottle.  Just one capful is all you need.  If you have suds left at the end of the cycle, you added enough.  If not, just remember to add more next time.  You'll need more if you have hard water.  I also use lemi-shine.  Used to use a 45 case full but just eyeball it now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#19]
A couple of drops of jet dry gets rid of water spots.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I just use dawn, how much depends how dirty the brass is and how much brass is in the tumbler.  I add a bit of lemishine/citric acid (never measured, maybe .5-1 .45 ACP casing though).

I find it works better (dirtier water poured out later) than just doing with the Wash/Wax.  But I do like the wash/wax, so I just drain out the dirty water, rinse a couple times, then run a 15-60 min cycle with just the wash/wax.  Makes cases a bit slicker for resizing, and keeps them from tarnishing as much if you just store them for future loading needs.

But wash and wax by itself, or even with citric acid, has not been as good at cleaning as actual dish detergent.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:15:11 AM EDT
[#21]
In my Mexican description in small fa tumbler I quick hard squeeze of dawn and a couple quick squirts of lemishine.

The lemishine is a weird deal you squeeze the bottle and it like builds up pressure then shoots out. So a couple squirts for me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:34:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#23]
fyi... I recently found that Publix brand generic dishwasher pods seem to work better than dawn for me.  This dishwasher pods contain some kind of anti spotting ingredient that let me toss a cookie pan full of wet brass in the oven at 250F for about an hour and they come out with no spots on them.

Also, don't use LemiShine with Nickel plated brass.  The Citrix acid with react with the nickel and turn it gray.

FYI... some dish pods contain Citrix acid.  With these you might not even need any lemiShine.   Would stay away from scented Pods.  

I also found that heavy stainless pins work better than the long thin pins that "stick" to wet brass.  You can get them here:
https://www.bcprecision.com/collections/tumbling-media/products/1-8-304-stainless-steel-diagonal-tumbling-media?variant=38525016329

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
How much water does the tumbler hold?  

The manual says to fill it up.  That might be about 1 1/2 gallons (~6 liters, 6kg, 13.2 lb).

Then 5 lb of pins, leaving 11.2 lb for brass.

What do cases weigh?  

I'm thinking it's maybe 150 grains depending upon the cartridge?  

That would mean about 500 cases without going over the 30 lb limit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Does the lemishine (or any citric acid) casue any harm to the brass?

I have been using it for a while but lately Ive been wondering about this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Not at all.

I've been wet tumbling 12 years now, I think I would have noticed.

https://i.imgur.com/jrJ7qmSh.jpg

View Quote

Actually, I wish there was a way to add a little color to processed brass so I could identify mine for pickup after a match.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Last I knew, ArmorAll Wash and Wax was the hotness. That's what I've been using for a few years now and the brass comes out shiny and doesn't tarnish.
View Quote
Is there any long term storage funkiness with loaded ammo using ArmorAll tumbled cases?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top