User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
i hope Remington brings a lot of their production back, but please improve quality.  There is no reason to expand into handguns, but if they wanted to make ARs there is no reason they could not make Remington branded ones. It would be nice if they brought the 11-87s and 1100s back too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
but if they wanted to make ARs there is no reason they could not make Remington branded ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
but if they wanted to make ARs there is no reason they could not make Remington branded ones.

Dear God, no.    That was a bad idea when Freedom Group owned Bushmaster and DPMS, it's a horrible idea now.  Remington should stick to what they're known for, and concentrate on doing it right this time.  I totally agree on 1100's and 11-87's, though.

Quoted:
I'd like to see the 5xx series of rimfire guns come back but I bet they wouldn't be cheap.

There's a lot of "5xx" that they made over the years.  I jump straight to the 552/572, and yeah, there's no way they could make those at a competitive price these days.  The 58x bolt actions probably could be, though, those weren't particularly "fancy," just a nice solid piece.  What was the one they were making recently, the 597?  I would expect that to come back...

But now we're way off the "shotgun" category...  
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i hope Remington brings a lot of their production back, but please improve quality.  There is no reason to expand into handguns, but if they wanted to make ARs there is no reason they could not make Remington branded ones. It would be nice if they brought the 11-87s and 1100s back too.
View Quote

They didn't do too well with bushmaster and DPMS. I wouldn't hold my breath.
The should pull a Savage and focus on their core competency.
But instead of being inexpensive, just go after Bergara and the like.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think buying another AR manufacturer to make ARs was a sound investment especially one with a somewhat rough early and late track record like DPMS. I agree focus on what they are good at, but ARs are selling right now, so if they can make a quality product why not, but if they are not going to make a product to at least the quality of Colt the exactly don't bother.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been hoping somebody would offer a clone of the remington model 11/ browning auto 5. Maybe they'll do that? Make it an exact clone, offer tactical and factory SBS versions, sell it for a reasonable price. $500 ish. Not $1,700 of a browning.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  I've been hoping somebody would offer a clone of the remington model 11/ browning auto 5. Maybe they'll do that? Make it an exact clone, offer tactical and factory SBS versions, sell it for a reasonable price. $500 ish. Not $1,700 of a browning.
View Quote

C'mon man.  Money printer go brrrt.  You're not getting the machine work of a Browning Auto 5 clone for $500 unless you use Chinese prison camp labor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

C'mon man...
View Quote

Joe, is that you?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:27:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:33:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They didn't do too well with bushmaster and DPMS. I wouldn't hold my breath.
The should pull a Savage and focus on their core competency.
But instead of being inexpensive, just go after Bergara and the like.
View Quote

Agree on the core competency and target market. Look at Bergara and Tikka/Sako for examples. Consult with military, shooting sports champions, younger top hunters. Learn from the old guys in the industry but be talking to the 30-45ish yr old top guns for what is needed going forward.  

I would ramp up:
* 15/22 clone but better
* Short action M700 chassis designed to optimize for .243, 6 & 6.5 CR/PRC, .308 a flexible configuration of options for precision rifle sport, varmint and mountain gun hunting. Offer trued receivers and bolts as option,  ready to mount or built in rail for various optics, use a common type magazine.
* new semiauto shotgun that competes with Benneli but is a flexible and dead nuts reliable gas design.

That should be their new core product line. Maybe later get into the .300-.458 big game and safari rifles.

Another new area might be a reliable hunter’s semiauto like the Browning BAR or their own 7400. I would just stick with the .308 family of cartridges at first from .243-.338Federal. Lightweight, 18” bbl, rail ready. Like the 7400 but updated for more modularity while keeping it sleek and light and use common mags. Synthetic stock with adjustable pull length, camo option.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#13]
The new Remington needs to have a better product development and marketing team. They had products that people wanted, but didn't offer them. A military 870 MSC package comes to mind.  Sig and Beretta have/had a huge marketing success when the military adopted their pistol. Many love a military clone and will pay a premium for it.  Hell, find a way to take trade ins from military and sell 'issued' guns like Sig did. All of the Remington Defense line should be explored.

They also need to step up their finishes. Bead blasted blued finish that rust when you look at it is a terrible idea on a utility shotgun. Is it really that much more to offer a better finish?

The Tac13 & 14 line need to be pushed. The detachable magazines Tac14 being offered in 3 & 6 round only was silly. Why they didn't have a 8 & 10 rd mag or drum was leaving money on the table. I know one of the idea guys is still pissed as he probably mentioned it at every meeting when asked about product ideas.  I'm pissed for him.  How does Promag have a 10&15 rd drum for Saiga-12 that actually works and Remington has no 6 rd mags in stock or options for higher capacity mags/drums?  Remington needed fresh blood at the top and hopefully this does it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's just wrong backbencher is good people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
C'mon man...

Joe, is that you?

That's just wrong backbencher is good people.

Well, we know how much Joe likes shotguns...  
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I would also like to see the 870 MCS be a regular retail item and maybe bring back the 1100 LT-20.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

C'mon man.  Money printer go brrrt.  You're not getting the machine work of a Browning Auto 5 clone for $500 unless you use Chinese prison camp labor.
View Quote

Okay, I'll be serious for a minute. How come savage and remington made these guns back in the early 1900s, the quality was acceptable and the common man could easily afford them. With modern CNCs how come they can't make them and sell them for about 2.5 or 3 times as much as a maverick 88 and still be making profit? $500 would be twice what the 870 express was selling for. The m11 was a simple design, I don't see why it has to cost a fortune.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  Okay, I'll be serious for a minute. How come savage and remington made these guns back in the early 1900s, the quality was acceptable and the common man could easily afford them. With modern CNCs how come they can't make them and sell them for about 2.5 or 3 times as much as a maverick 88 and still be making profit? $500 would be twice what the 870 express was selling for. The m11 was a simple design, I don't see why it has to cost a fortune.
View Quote

Autoloading shotguns have always been premium guns.  Pumps predominate b/c they're cheaper to buy & more reliable, and always have been.  A Maverick 88 for $190 is the cheapest possible version of a Mossberg 500, which runs $300 & up.  Go to 3x a Mossberg 500, $900, now you're talking, IF the market wanted a dimensional clone of the Browning Auto 5.  But the market isn't going to buy a hundred year old, long-recoil shotgun design for $900.  For that money they're gonna get a VersaMax, a Benelli, or a Winchester.  And w/o the mass market to finance the project, your $900 price tag goes away.

Look @ what it costs for a faithful reproduction of a M-1 carbine costs - right @ what a decent collector's grade original goes for.  CNC can do damn near anything, but machine time ain't cheap.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

With modern CNCs how come they can't make them and sell them for about 2.5 or 3 times as much as a maverick 88 and still be making profit?
View Quote

Here's where that comparison breaks down, in my opinion: the Maverick 88 was not a new design.  As backbencher pointed out, it's a stripped down Model 500.  So, Mossberg didn't have to tool up from scratch to make it.  I don't know how much parts commonality there is with the 500, but clearly there's some.  To re-introduce the Model 11, Remington would have to completely start from scratch.  The cost to tool up is going to be reflected in the price per unit.

Here's another thing - Remington would never sell nearly as many Model 11's as Mossberg is selling Mavericks.  So the price per unit goes up again.  

At the end of the day, if Browning needs $1500 to make a profit on an Auto 5, there's no way Remington is going to reintroduce a Model 11 for anything less.

(Personally, I don't think that even modern CNC is capable of reproducing the sort of "fit and finish" that went into guns back in the day when the Auto 5 and Model 11 were new, but that's also just my opinion.)
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Agree on the core competency and target market. Look at Bergara and Tikka/Sako for examples. Consult with military, shooting sports champions, younger top hunters. Learn from the old guys in the industry but be talking to the 30-45ish yr old top guns for what is needed going forward.  

I would ramp up:
* 15/22 clone but better
* Short action M700 chassis designed to optimize for .243, 6 & 6.5 CR/PRC, .308 a flexible configuration of options for precision rifle sport, varmint and mountain gun hunting. Offer trued receivers and bolts as option,  ready to mount or built in rail for various optics, use a common type magazine.
* new semiauto shotgun that competes with Benneli but is a flexible and dead nuts reliable gas design.

That should be their new core product line. Maybe later get into the .300-.458 big game and safari rifles.

Another new area might be a reliable hunter’s semiauto like the Browning BAR or their own 7400. I would just stick with the .308 family of cartridges at first from .243-.338Federal. Lightweight, 18” bbl, rail ready. Like the 7400 but updated for more modularity while keeping it sleek and light and use common mags. Synthetic stock with adjustable pull length, camo option.
View Quote

I would say the Versamax is a competitor for the Benelli, hell, it's basically an M4 knockoff, but chambered for 3.5" shells and geared more toward hunting.  I have both an SBE2 and a VM (the original, not the lower priced Sportsman version) and like them both for different reasons.  I'd say the Benelli is built a little better and it's lighter.  The VM has way less recoil and cost way less.  IIRC, the SBE2 was $1600 when I bought it and the VM was $1050.  For me, they fit and shoot about the same.  If I'm sitting in a blind I usually grab the VM, if I'm doing a lot of walking I use the SBE2.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Okay, I'll be serious for a minute. How come savage and remington made these guns back in the early 1900s, the quality was acceptable and the common man could easily afford them. With modern CNCs how come they can't make them and sell them for about 2.5 or 3 times as much as a maverick 88 and still be making profit? $500 would be twice what the 870 express was selling for. The m11 was a simple design, I don't see why it has to cost a fortune.
View Quote

A Remington Model 11 listed for about $57 in 1929; that's $857 today.  For that you get a plain, fixed choke barrel, and an action type that needs adjustment for different loads.  Adding chokes and a rib increases cost.  A synthetic stock and cheaper finish would reduce it some, but I don't think most buyers of that type of shotgun want it finished like an 870 Express.  Given the other options available now, plus all the used ones out there, I don't see an $800+ new production Model 11 being a big seller.  You can still get good condition Miroku Auto-5's with choke tubes for less than that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#22]
We got too cocky Remingtonbros.

Reopening of Remington gun factory in Upstate New York delayed
Updated Mar 04, 2021; Posted Mar 04, 2021
Syracuse, N.Y. -- The reopening of the Remington Arms factory in Ilion has been put off, but it’s unclear for how long.

The union that represents workers at the plant in Herkimer County said about 50 employees were scheduled to report to work on Monday, March 1, as part of a plan by Remington’s new owner to restart gun manufacturing.

However, the workers were called over the weekend and told not to come in, said Phil Smith, director of communications and governmental affairs for the United Mine Workers of America. Some employees did not get the word and were turned away at the door on Monday, he said.

Smith said the union has not been told the reason for the delay or when the workers will be called back.

A security guard who answered the phone at the plant Wednesday said no one from management was at the facility and available to comment.

Roundhill Group LLC bought the factory in a Bankruptcy Court sale in September and obtained its federal firearms license in January, giving it the right to manufacture firearms at the huge plant.

Richmond Italia, Roundhill’s principal owner, targeted March 1 for restarting production, according to media reports. Italia planned to hire back 200 employees initially, with the goal of eventually bringing back 800 to 1,000 employees, according to the reports.

The United Mine Workers have had what Smith called “sporadic” talks with Roundhill to settle a number of issues. They include the union’s demand that the new owner recognize the union as the collective bargaining agent for workers at the plant and adhere to its contract with the previous owner on issues such as rehiring bases on seniority.

“We believe and we think it spells it out in the purchase agreement that the company made that we are the recognized collective bargaining agent for these employees, and when people go back to work, there needs to be a contract in place,” Smith said.

Remington, which was founded in Ilion in 1816, filed for reorganization under Chapter 11 of U.S. Bankruptcy Code on July 27, 2020, the second time it had done so in two years.

Roundhill bought all of Remington’s firearms business, except for its Marlin line, for $13 million in a bankruptcy sale. The company’s former owner closed the factory in Ilion and furloughed its more than 700 employees, including about 600 union members, right before the sale.

Source
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Who the fuck over there thought it was a good idea to buy a Bushmaster? Laughs in full auto Colt... https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_smartass.gifhttps://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will they take back the last batch of shit Bushmasters my department bought from them?

Who the fuck over there thought it was a good idea to buy a Bushmaster? Laughs in full auto Colt... https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_smartass.gifhttps://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif
That same people who bankrupted Colt more times than Tom Brady has been to the super bowl.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top