Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2023 3:19:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull]
Davidsons is having a webinar on the 9th with NSSF and a couple retired ATF deputy assistant directors.
They said "There are big developments with post-86 machinegun samples. The rules are about to change and this webinar will explain what ATF is proposing on this issue."

I read around awhile and didnt find any information on what the ATF is proposing.
Does anyone know what the new rules the ATF is proposing regarding post-86 machinegun samples?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I can't imagine it being anything good. Lol

Unless they got rid of demo letters and let us be stocking dealers again, like every other industry in existence
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:18:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#2]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:

Does anyone know what the new rules the ATF is proposing regarding post-86 machinegun samples?
View Quote

New rule? Nothing new regarding machine guns since last January: MACHINEGUN DEALER SALES SAMPLE LETTERS
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:33:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mindfull] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

New rule? Nothing new regarding machine guns since last January: MACHINEGUN DEALER SALES SAMPLE LETTERS
View Quote

Somethings coming per NSSF.
The way its worded in my op that I posted that was a direct copy from the email, doesn't necessarily make it sound like a bad thing.
It will be interesting to hear what it is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the email:
Date Time: Oct 9, 2023 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Veteran NSSF Consultants and retired ATF Deputy Assistant Directors Harry McCabe and Wally Nelson will present a wide-ranging discussion on NFA compliance and current NFA issues, including what forms you need to be familiar with, how to complete them correctly and common errors, the rental of NFA firearms at ranges, what special records you must keep and how to deal with your customers when selling them an NFA firearm.
Lastly, there are big developments with post-86 machinegun samples. The rules are about to change and this webinar will explain what ATF is proposing on this issue.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mindfull:
This is the email:
Date Time: Oct 9, 2023 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Veteran NSSF Consultants and retired ATF Deputy Assistant Directors Harry McCabe and Wally Nelson will present a wide-ranging discussion on NFA compliance and current NFA issues, including what forms you need to be familiar with, how to complete them correctly and common errors, the rental of NFA firearms at ranges, what special records you must keep and how to deal with your customers when selling them an NFA firearm.
Lastly, there are big developments with post-86 machinegun samples. The rules are about to change and this webinar will explain what ATF is proposing on this issue.

View Quote

I know. The big development is likely what I linked to above.

Any rule or regulatory change requires ATF to publish notice and have a public comment period.
In addition to the Federal Register, ATF posts these rule changes on their website. Scroll down to "What's New" for a list of pending rule and regulatory changes.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]

I know. The big development is likely what I linked to above.

Any rule or regulatory change requires ATF to publish notice and have a public comment period.
In addition to the Federal Register, ATF posts these rule changes on their website. Scroll down to "What's New" for a list of pending rule and regulatory changes.

View Quote

That whole last post was a copy and paste of the email.

Your probably right after reading into the law letter link. I haven't seen that one.

Also, thanks for that ATF link. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Link Posted: 10/6/2023 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
they have been trying to raise hell with joe public walking in off the street using post may guns at rental ranges for over a year now. maybe thats it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 8:20:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#8]
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:
they have been trying to raise hell with joe public walking in off the street using post may guns at rental ranges for over a year now. maybe thats it.
View Quote

Over the last few years there hs been an increasing number of cases where local LE signed a demo letter with no interest in actually making a purchase for their department.
Some of these stories make me want to dick kick some people.  
Former Ohio police chief, Indiana gun dealers plead guilty in conspiracy to illegally sell machine guns
Iowa police chief charged with fraud for allegedly selling machine guns for profit
Sheriff Jenkins, firearms business owner indicted on gun charges
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the upcoming proposed change:
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 7:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#10]
That's exactly what was mentioned in the January notice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2023 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
That's exactly what was mentioned in the January notice.
View Quote

Yep, a law letter is now a 5320.24 form.
The January 11th notice just didnt have a form number yet, so the June notice is really just the ATF stating it's now a Form 5320.24.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Does this apply to 07/02 with ITAR to manufacture new for T&E, demo only?
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By R702:
Does this apply to 07/02 with ITAR to manufacture new for T&E, demo only?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you. So this is for an 01 acquiring existing post samples from other licensees?
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By R702:
Thank you. So this is for an 01 acquiring existing post samples from other licensees?
View Quote

This is for any FFL/SOT acquiring post samples from other licensees, with the exception of manufacturers and importers acquiring them from SOT's who are giving up the SOT.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:22:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#16]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 1:26:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By d16man:
Is this perhaps in response to what LAV was doing?
View Quote

No, ATF has been clamping down on FFL/SOT's acquiring machine guns on "law letters" for the last decade.

LAV's case was more than just a few law letters.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
LAV and  Sean Sullivan.

Link Posted: 12/22/2023 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 2:33:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Understood. Thank you. Just for acquisition. Not manufacture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top