Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2020 11:44:39 AM EDT
Curious if the amount of vibration on a 5.56mm M16 is detrimental to a filmed PVS-14. The PVS14 is mounted in a TNVC twist mount behind a T2 and has been shot semi auto for many years with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, don't do that. The PVS-14 is not a recoil-protected housing like dedicated clip on devices. The tube is essentially hard-mounted to the weapon and subjected to the full force of the recoil. This is a bad idea even on semi-auto rifles and a REALLY bad idea on a machine gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I mounted PAQ 4 lasers via rail mounts to my  M2 .50s in Iraq. Then used the PVS14s on the helmut mount.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#4]
How about the unfilmed WP PVS14's?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]
how about 300 blk supers?

how about 300 blk subs?

pretty heavy rifle with laser, light and snd6 out front...still a "no", i am guessing.

(TNVC pinnacle night enforcer)
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Years and years ago Vic told me I was "crazy" putting my ITT pvs-14 on an AK 7.62X39.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:

Still not recommended. 

Guys, here's what it gets down to: 

The PVS-14 does not have any recoil or shock mitigation built into it the way a weapon-mounted optic does. 

The fact that it's generally capable of surviving being mounted to a 5.56/.223 is more a testament to how mild the recoil is for those weapons, but even mounted on such a weapon, we do not recommend doing so too much or too often, as eventually the device will have simply had enough. 

The fact of the matter is that a weapon with a weapon-mounted PVS-14 generally tends not to be a high round count weapon under most circumstances, because people are typically using weapons in this manner in a more static position, coyote/hog hunting, etc.

The TNVC TM-14 mount is, in some ways a "legacy" accessory.  

TNVC and then-Laser Devices (LDI, now Steiner eOptics) partnered back in 2011 to bring the first Class I IR lasers to the commercial market for wide sales and distribution, prior to that, firing solutions for NV were few and far between, with your choices often being gray market IR lasers or weapon mounting of a PVS-14. 

The TM-14 was developed as a better option than the USGI Weapon Mount that could also double as a mount for the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier, which again, at the time was really the only decent RDS magnifier available on the market. 

The TM-14 is still sold and still in production, as it has become a fairly popular product, however, unlike ten years ago, there are many more options for aiming with NV that are less risky and more practical in almost every way than weapon mounting a PVS-14. 

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. 

And even though you can, I wouldn't do it much. 

If you have access to a machine gun, transferable or not, I've got to believe that you have the means to at least get a hold of a lower-cost IR laser at least. 

~Augee

View Quote

Thanks for the post.

You’re right. I have a few high quality IR lasers. Cost isn’t the problem here. It’s just already having the stuff to weapon mount a 14.

Nearly every AR I’ve owned with a T1 since I put the TM14 on my PVS14 almost a decade ago has had an Aimpoint twist mount base on it because I’ve always enjoyed the “accuracy” it provided in a static shooting position.

An IR laser is great but I know my T1 offset much more than my IR laser offset. This is just a function of training. I shoot 90% more often during the day than I do at night. So while I’ve never run drills or anything dynamic with the 14 weapon mounted, it works amazingly well when seated in a tree stand looking for little miss piggy.

The reason for the OP is that I was trying to find a way to shoot a machine gun from the prone off a bipod under NODs. An IR laser isn’t ideal in that situation. It definitely works, but I felt weapon mounted NV might be better because the large amount of muzzle flash and smoke generated by full auto fire obscures/blooms the laser/illuminator at the muzzle. Also, the gun is kind of “in the way” when using a head mounted NOD in the prone.

Point taken. I’ll have to Quit being cheap and finally buy a clip on.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
How about mounted to a rimfire rifle? Acceptable or still not a good idea?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top