Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2020 7:45:43 PM EDT
I have been toying with trading one of my M4s for a Mini 14 Ranch.  I leaned to shoot with a Mini 14 and really want to try something different than an AR.  Kind of bored of them to be honest.  Am I delusional?  I have seen the prices sky rocket and just think it might be the last time to get one at a reasonable price, especially if there are the only things legal once the dust settles.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Are guns just a hobby to you? If yes, do what you want. Otherwise, keep the AR. Odds are your going to need it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Not saying you are right or wrong.  Personally, in this environment I would not.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what Mini 14 you are looking at.  A new 584 series I'd say yes.  An older pre 580 series I would say no.  The real value is in the Colt if you are looking at anything other than a new 583 or newer Mini.

kwg
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#4]
*Deleted comment here *

Noticed this is the Ruger forum...So Uh.Yeah.Great idea.(snickers)
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the specifics of each one mentioned, and if you have other rifles.

Basic Colt Expanse?  Yes.  Colt 6920?  Maybe, maybe not, depends on if you have other, better ARs still.

Is the mini an older pencil barrel?  Then probably not.  Is it a new taper barrel?  Then maybe yes.  Is it a folder set up like mine?

Then yes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Never sell a gun or trade a gun unless you dislike it.  Do you dislike your Colt?

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a terrible idea to me.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I would recommend keeping the Colt and looking for a different way to get the Mini-14, if you want to add one to the collection.  Nothing wrong with having a Mini-14, but generally the Colt is a better rifle for reasons outside potential future resale value.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I got you a stainless with a few extra if you wanna trade!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me expand.  I have two top of the heap Colt M4s.  An M4A1 and M4, both SBRed.  One is an MK18, the other is a PDW/ The third, which is a Colt 6940 lower with a 6921 upper is your standard  military issue copy. I really appreciate the feedback!

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got you a stainless with a few extra if you wanna trade!!!!!
View Quote

Maybe bro!  lol
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#12]
No way in my books.  I had the lastest Mini 14 a few years ago.  It was good but the a AR15 is better in every way.  If that's what you want go ahead. You know what you are getting into.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:48:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let me expand.  I have two top of the heap Colt M4s.  An M4A1 and M4, both SBRed.  One is an MK18, the other is a PDW/ The third, which is a Colt 6940 lower with a 6921 upper is your standard  military issue copy. I really appreciate the feedback!
https://i.imgur.com/jFmjYux.jpg?2
http://i.imgur.com/RTMnwPk.jpg?1
View Quote
Depending on the configuration of mini, then yeah, sure, make the trade.  You can get a basic M4 clone with PSA parts for cheaper to fill that "basic AR" hole than you can the Mini, by far.

I have two minis, the folder and an 18" M1A-ish thing.  For higher level performance, I have a PWS and a T91.  I have the minis for fun, or for a compact traveling rifle. I enjoy them.  But the mini will perform about on par with your iron sight only AR. Expecting anything better, in comparison to your other two, will leave you disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I would trade a 6920 for a stainless mini folder all day long.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Done
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know this is AR15.com but I say definitely do the swap as long as it's for a new model Mini-14.

While I have 2 ARs below I'm not a fan at all of them. I had a POS M16A1 in RVN and hated it. Too bulky in the receiver and the plastic and aluminum just don't do it for me. Compared to the Mini, the ARs are just not that ergonomic, too bulky, and too 'Mattel Toy' like for my tastes. I only bought the ARs because my son wanted one.

A stock AR under about $1K needs a $100 trigger mod to even think about shooting MOA with it using high quality handloads or precision ammo as they come with a crappy mil-spec trigger. The new Mini needs about the same amount of help and some easy tweaks to allow it to be a MOA shooter with the same high quality handloads or precision ammo.

Yes, the ARs can be dressed out in all sorts of configurations (most of them 'Tacticool') that mostly add weight and complexity. You can do the same with a Mini as well if you want. My 2 ARs are set up for very different purposes. The RRA rifle with it's NM trigger, is set up as a 400yd 'Apple Shooter' using my 68grn Hornady HPBT handloads with a 12x scope and real walnut furniture and custom made walnut pistol grip. My RRA carbine with NM trigger is set up as a lightweight (under 6 lbs), irons shooter using my 55grn Hornady handloads.

https://i.imgur.com/NlaiBdW.jpg?1

However, if you learned to shoot with the Mini, then you're familiar with the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14/M1A family of rifles manual of arms and have come to feel comfortable with it's more compact receiver and ergonomic controls. You've also found that the AR15 is nothing like the Mini. Yes, an AR can be made to be more accurate, sub MOA, but that takes a fairly large amount of money, much more than most will admit. I know as my 'Apple Shooter' is a good example of those costs.  But actually, a new series Mini can also be tweaked to shoot 1 MOA and for most of us, that's more accurate than we are.

My 583 Series Mini-14 started life as a stock Ranch Rifle that shot 2 MOA out of the box. I wanted a more accurate version so I did all the standard tweaks PerfectUnion.com has listed as well as my 'Near NM' sight upgrade I did (Mini200 rear sight with target aperture and thinned front sight blade) and using my handloads, it now is an honest 1 MOA shooter with my 62grn Hornady HPBT handloads.

I use it to shoot bowling pins at 200yds with it's iron sights and I'm 73 years old with far from perfect eyesight. After a few years it got too easy to hit the pins with it so I set them at 300yds and now they are a real challenge. Go on all you naysayers, try that with your ARs, even your scoped ones and see how you do!

However, I wanted my Mini to mimic my M1A so I decided I wanted to go for the 'look', to make it like my favorites, my M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, and M1A, so I added a walnut stock, Choate FH/front sight, and straight 20rd OE brand mags to complete my version of a 'Mini M14'. I think I succeeded rather well and now it's my favorite semi-auto and my ARs are both safe queens. My carbine hasn't seen daylight in years.

https://i.imgur.com/39j2Tdw.jpg

Looks a whole lot like my NM sighted M1A, doesn't it? Yep, that's what I was going for.

https://i.imgur.com/GhpNF19.jpg
View Quote

Look great!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#17]
If you were only going to have one rifle, I'd probably say an AR15 first. After that, buy whatever strikes your fancy.

I wouldn't TRADE, like, literally though depending on your market. Especially if you're looking for a stock mini14 without threads to be ban-resistant. You can sell the Colt, buy a used mini to amuse yourself with, then have extra $ left over I'd think.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Done
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

However, if you learned to shoot with the Mini, then you're familiar with the M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14/M1A family of rifles manual of arms and have come to feel comfortable with it's more compact receiver and ergonomic controls. You've also found that the AR15 is nothing like the Mini. Yes, an AR can be made to be more accurate, sub MOA, but that takes a fairly large amount of money, much more than most will admit. I know as my 'Apple Shooter' is a good example of those costs.  But actually, a new series Mini can also be tweaked to shoot 1 MOA and for most of us, that's more accurate than we are.

View Quote

I have rotated through 4 different ones years ago, and that has not been my experience.  I liked the looks and function of the guns, however the lack of any practical accuracy always killed the product for me.  I liked them enough to try 4 different times.  I really wanted to like them.  I started with a Garand, and eventually went to the M1A for my high power matches before transitioning to the AR platform.   Perhaps something has changed, but at this point I am invested in the AR platform, and have no reason to go back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Your M4 is too accurate, has too much aftermarket support, cheap mags, and too ergonomic. You can fix that by the trade.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#21]
It's your stuff, I would do it if I had a rifle I never shot anymore
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Done
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Done
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I like my Minis, and after learning some simple inexpensive mods over on perfectunion, mine will do 1 1/4 MOA with my handloads with Hornady bullets, and 2 MOA or under with good Russian steel case like RAS and Silver Bear, and I have a lot of both on hand.

But I wouldn't count on the Mini staying under the radar for much longer. If the Dimocrats get their way we'll be lucky to keep a single shot .22.
Sometimes variety is nice, if the OP wants something different to go with the other Colt AR he keeps, go for it.
I an very familiar with the AR15/M16A2/M4 after spending nearly half my life in the Army, but I much prefer the Mini manual of arms, ergonomics and robust parts.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#25]
I wouldn’t do it myself, minis even though they are fun guns and I have owned a couple are not near the same level as your Colt.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 1:57:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Negative. Those are nice Colts. 2 gets you 1, 1 gets you none. Minis will always be around. Wait and save up for a newer 580 series - significantly better than the older models in my experience. Fun ranch type rifle but not my go to if SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#27]
You're not crazy, I went through my AR phase years ago, when they were $400-$500 and you couldn't give a Colt away!  I just bought a new 584 Series Mini 14, if I bought this rifle first, would never have owned ANY AR.  I prefer conventional style rifle over hand grips, collapsing stocks, etc...Besides, my new Mini is far more accurate than the AR's I owned.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 1:09:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Am I delusional?  
View Quote
100% yes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:30:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I did the same but was on the other side of the trade.  I had a guy ask to trade me his Bushmaster 20” gov profile A3 for an older series blue Mini 14.  I had worked with him for years and knew he bought the Bushy new.

I gave him $100 and the Mini-14 for the Bushmaster.   I feel I came out ahead.  

Only you can answer the question if the trade is right for you.  I hear their newer rifles are a lot more accurate.  I have now idea what the mag situation is like now, back then it sucked pretty bad.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have now idea what the mag situation is like now, back then it sucked pretty bad.
View Quote
Even CDNN has OEM 30 rounders for $44 in almost every email.

I need to grab a few more.  I prefer 20s, but need more 30s just because some politicians don't want me to have them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#31]
My first rifle was a Mini-14; bought in 1995 for a whopping $249 USD. The following year I bought a Eagle Arms/ Armalite M15A2 neutered A2 for $700 USD. I still have the Mini; the only thing I still have left of the Eagle Arms/Armalite is the lower receiver (live in the PRK, and receiver was registered in 2000.)

A couple of years ago my Mini was looking beat to hell. The original paint/finish had begun to flake off, and the wood was beat. Hadn’t shot it in years but had a bunch of Ruger 20 and 30 round magazines. So I had the barrel chopped to 14.5”, had a YHM 5C1 muzzle brake pinned on, put a OD  Hogue over molded stock on, and had the rifle Cerekoted Magpul FDE to go with the OD stock. Rifle handles great, light, simple,  but I do admit I prefer the Colt AR. Carried one for work forever, and it seems familiar. I would keep the Colt, and scrounge up for the Mini-14 to include a used LE trade in. BTW: 20 and 30 Ruger OEM magazines are expensive, and at this point, extremely hard to get. Quality AR magazines can be bought between $12 and $20 USD.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Seems like when guys complain how expensive mags for Minis are they always quote the highest prices out there to reinforce their point.
Don't pay $30 or more for Mini magazines, Lanbo's Armory in Texas sells Ruger 20 rounders for about $24 year round.
When CDNN gets in the 20 round O.E. brand mags, they are $14, and many like them as well or better than Ruger mags.

People bitch about the price of the mags but they are quality heat treated steel mags that will last a lifetime.
I have 2 of the 5 rounders for hunting and range use, 12 of the Ruger 20 rounders and 8 of the KCI 30 round magazines ( for mostly peaceful protesters).
Even if I happen to lose a few down the road, I have plenty to last the rest of my years.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#33]
You already have some nice AR's......the mini is fun, get it.  And if for some reason you are stuck on the battlefield with your mini......I think it will do just fine.  Remember that a neat guy named Jim Sullivan, that just so happened to be on the AR design team also built this thing so....
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Moving into the Mini-14/-30 system of rifles will involve some amount of expense, especially that of a reasonable number of magazines, to say nothing of spare parts.
The older, pencil-barrel Mini-14 rifles, will often require some fairly simple, and inexpensive and reversible, tweaks to upgrade accuracy to a respectable level.

Most modern "heavy-barrel" Mini-14s, and virtually all Mini-30 rifles don't usually require the 'tweaks' that older "Pencil-barrel" 5.56 Minis usually require.

Many Mini-30 rifles have firing pins that are not long enough to 100% reliably fire mass-produced Berdan-primed ammo.  The fix is simple, but involves spending a little money.

Given these cautions, the upside (currently) is that most Mini-14s and most Mini-30 rifles are not currently banned as so-called "Assault Weapons" in most States.  Whether or not that continues to remain so is highly questionable.  No telling if a particular State will "Grandfather" any firearm, nor so-called "High-capacity" mags.

Having a conventionally wooden-stocked (or even a syn-stocked) MINI, with a few 10-rd and a few 5-rd mags seems to be a reasonable fallback position in some States.

I suggest you go to: https://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/ for expert, and unbiased advice.  Many posters there also own ARs, FWIW, and some live in very restrictive States.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#35]
NO.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#36]
"Never go full retard."
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I had one of the old ones and it sucked but I keep earring the new ones are more accurate.  If you can test fire it and it shoots say 1.5MOA then I would buy it.  Not sure about trading.   As said, magazines will be expensive for the mini but having a mini with its less "evil" look could be a handy advantage in a survival situation.  That is we're I see the role for the mini 14 as it can't do most of what the AR-15 can do but the AR can better anything a mini can do other than keep from scaring liberals.
View Quote
The later Mini-14s have the "heavy-profile" barrel, and are reasonably accurate.  ALL Mini-30 rifles have had the same "heavy" profile barrel, and are likewise reasonably accurate.

Not a one of them, certain rare and expensive models excepted, were ever intended to be a tack-driver  Most Minis are intended to be lightweight, short to medium range carbines.

I own a 186 (fairly early) "Pencil-Barrel" Mini-14.  With a lot of tweaks, it's about a 2 MOA rifle with good quality ammo.

Most modern Mini-14s and modern Mini-30s will shoot better than most users can shoot, given decent ammo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a chance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:58:24 PM EDT
[#40]
If OP has multiple AR s and no Mini 14s than I say go for it .

It’s just a Colt anyways , Right ?

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If OP has multiple AR s and no Mini 14s than I say go for it .

It's just a Colt anyways , Right ?

View Quote
I would not trade my Pre-Ban Match HBAR Colt for any Mini that I can think of.  But other folks might be in a different situation vice their State laws.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I love my mini but definitely no.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Not gonna lie, I've had thoughts of building up a Mini-14 Tactical with the folding stock like Seven-Shooter above, and make it my "go-to" rifle. I have a standard Ranch Rifle right now and frankly I enjoy shooting it alot more than my AR.

Seems crazy, but......is it?

I mean what does an 11.5" AR really do that a folding Mini can't?
-Minis are reliable

-Mini's are atleast combat accurate, and that's really accurate enough for me. If I'm getting shot at, I doubt the minute differences in mechanical accuracy potential between a Mini and an AR are going to be the deciding factor in the fight. And if you're not getting shot at, then it's all just LARPing anyway, so run whatever floats your boat. There are simple ways to wring more accuracy out of a Mini if it really bothers you that much. But again we're not talking bench rest rifles here.

-Minis are modular enough. I'm not a gear whore. You can put a light, an optic, a sling, and a bayonet on a Mini without much trouble. What else do you need?

-While Minis are not as common as ARs. They are probably the second most common 5.56 rifle in the US. Parts are still widely available. Stock up on mags and common failure parts while you can and it will last longer than you will.

-A folded 16" barreled Mini is shorter than an 11.5" barreled AR with a fully collapsed stock. Again, I'm under no delusion of being an operator conducting Antifa compound raids. If it's compact enough to fit in the trunk of a Lincoln, it's compact enough.

I probably wouldn't get rid of my AR, but if I got a nicely set up Mini, the AR would probably spend alot of time in the back of the closet.
There is something to be said about bring the best gun you can, but you gotta be honest about your use case. A reliable, semi-automatic, magazine-fed, 5.56 rifle, is a reliable, semi-automatic, magazine-fed, 5.56 rifle in 99.5% of situations. The rest are inconsequential details. Isn't that what we like to say when the antis bring up "assault weapons"?

At this point the AR's only real meaningful advantage is that a new AR can be had cheaper than a new Mini-14. So if you're on a budget and just want the most bang for your buck, then sure AR all the way. But if you got money to spend and want something different. Why not a Mini?
Nobody shits on the guys with Augs and Fals and Scars and AR180s for having weird, overpriced rifles that aren't modular and you can't find parts for.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:10:14 PM EDT
[#44]
One of the advantages of modern Minis  (and one needs to make a distinction between the 5.56 Mini and the 7.62x39 Mini 30) is that the newer 5.56 Minis have a heavier barrel profile, thus eliminating, or at least greatly reducing, accuracy issues claimed for early "pencil-barreled" Minis.

Despite the Mini's open-top action, once broken-in, all versions of the Mini are extremely reliable, and have far fewer parts than most ARs, and so reduced maintenance needs/parts requirements.

There is certainly a price differential between the Mini and the AR, along with similar price differential with respect to magazines.  

The AR is usually more easily modified, and at less expense than encountered with making similar mods to the Mini.

The AR is typically more accurate than the average Mini, though there is considerable overlap with modern Minis.

So why the Mini?

Well, speaking personally, and owning an early pencil-barrel Mini,as well as a number of fairly decent ARs, I'd say it's up to personal preference.

In my opinion, the Mini is likely to be more reliable in the long term, and require fewer parts replacement than the AR, as well as less frequent lubrication.  The Mini can be run "Dry", if need be, without serious problems.

The Mini trigger group is easily set-up to a safe, reliable 4-5 lb trigger pull without substituting any parts., and this can be done by anyone competent to work on M1/M1A trigger groups.   Similar, reliable and safe AR trigger groups are a bit more expensive.

One can configure the Mini most any way one wants, given the desire to do so, and spending some $ along the way.  Some of that $ will need to be spent on configuring the AR in an identical way, mind you, so the difference might be relatively slight, in the end.

My HBAR Colt will do about 1MOA at 200 YDS, with decent ammo.  My much-modified Pencil-barreled Mini will do about 2 MOA, using the same ammo.  Modern Heavy-barreled Minis likely at least as good as my Pencil barreled Mini.

In the end, it's all about personal preferences.  Both good and bad points about every platform.

In true Arfcom sprit:  Get Both!
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Not only no, but hell no.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Life too short . Get a mini if that’s what you want .

Ar s are not  the only rifles out there .
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Life too short . Get a mini if that's what you want .

Ar s are not  the only rifles out there .
View Quote
Concur.  Had some friends die recently.  Concur.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#48]
As some have said, keep the AR's and find a way to swing the Mini!
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I wouldn’t trade a Colt 6920 for a Ruger Mini-14, would be a serious downgrade.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:17:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Bought my Mini long before ARs were commonly available.

I learned a lot in making my Mini a more accurate rifle.

Bedding a rifled action, doing trigger work, changing-out wooden stocks for new-fangled syn stocks, and keeping an open mind to new options.

All of that knowledge has been useful since then.

Still is.

Might be useful to others.  

I always get a kick out of going to local range and the youngsters seeing an old-timer shooting a fairly advanced AR.  Lots of times we talk, swap firearms and learn from each other.

That's GOOD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top