Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 7:11:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
Currently downsizing my weapons to just a few pistols and one rifle. I have a zion-15 16" which has been flawless. Love the thing, kind of shocked how cheap it was for how nice it is.

Anyways, I now have some savings and would like to get a Huxwrx 556k flow. I hate gas in the face and this seems to be the best flow-through tech in a suppressor that I've researched.

Should I get a new AR, or a different upper? Primary use is just SHTF and range fun. I'm selling off my Scorpion and some Glocks so I'll have funds to upgrade if need be. I shoot a few times per year nothing serious, but would definitely shoot more if I had a really nice suppressed rifle setup.

What makes the most sense if I want to get a 556k? Sell the Zion and get a pinned 13.7 or an 11.5/12.5" SBR? Consider .300 BLK as my only rifle caliber and ditch 5.56?

As stated, I just want an ultra reliable, suppressed rifle setup for fun and SHTF. It could even make it to HD duty, I am just so used to my Glocks that I'd need to train with it a lot to get to that point.

Budget is unlimited (within reason)
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You will have zero gas to the face with the Flow.

What makes you want to get rid of the IWI or replace the upper if it has been working well?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Don’t sell, add an 11.5 SBR and call it a day (especially if you have an unlimited budget). Keep the 16” in a “Recce” configuration with an LPVO, and throw the can on it when you want to stretch the legs of the 5.56 cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mak0:

What makes you want to get rid of the IWI or replace the upper if it has been working well?
View Quote

Nothing other than I see nobody suppressing 16" AR's. Any real issue with it other than it being 'too long for cqb'?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Shorter barrels are definitely handier when adding a suppressor, but there’s no reason you can’t suppress a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bm303:

Nothing other than I see nobody suppressing 16" AR's. Any real issue with it other than it being 'too long for cqb'?
View Quote
Nothing wrong with suppressing a 16" but it will be quite long, but still a pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:22:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mak0:

Plenty of people suppress 16” guns.  Whether you actually need or make use of the additional velocity you gain with a 16” barrel over something shorter is a different question entirely, but it’s certainly not uncommon.

So, more importantly, what are your goals/needs for this gun?  What ranges do you typically shoot out to?  What type of shooting/training do you do?

I don’t think downsizing is a bad thing, but having a bit of variety and redundancy is desirable.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rightwing87:
Shorter barrels are definitely handier when adding a suppressor, but there’s no reason you can’t suppress a longer barrel.
View Quote

This. I run a YHM Turbo T3 on my 10.5" SBR and my 16" AR

I run a SOCOM MINI2 on my 14.5" barrel rifle.

Looking at building a 3rd to run the T3 on
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:39:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#9]
16” isn’t as bad as people think at CQB with a short/light silencer. I’ve cleared quite a few mobile homes with exactly that, though a bit shorter certainly makes it easier.  But, when most people say “CQB”, what they really mean is “home defense”, and a suppressed 16” gun is just fine for that.

How do you know you hate gas to the face, or that it will be bad with your current gun? It may very well be, or maybe not.

The Flow 556k will require expectation management in the areas of sound and flash reduction. Unless you have a strong concern about gassiness, I’d recommend finding a lightweight medium-backpressure can and tuning the gun for suppressed-only use.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a FLOW 556K. My first can.

I rebuilt one rifle out of two other rifles to host it.

I plan to finally test fire it tonight.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

Plenty of people suppress 16” guns.  Whether you actually need or make use of the additional velocity you gain with a 16” barrel over something shorter is a different question entirely, but it’s certainly not uncommon.

So, more importantly, what are your goals/needs for this gun?  What ranges do you typically shoot out to?  What type of shooting/training do you do?

I don’t think downsizing is a bad thing, but having a bit of variety and redundancy is desirable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

Realistically just home defense, SHTF, and wanting a nice rifle setup. Training involves me going to the range every few months and putting a few hundred rounds downrange with a friend. Nothing impressive, and I need to certainly train more and with more sophistication.

Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
16” isn’t as bad as people think at CQB with a short/light silencer. I’ve cleared quite a few mobile homes with exactly that, though a bit shorter certainly makes it easier.  But, when most people say “CQB”, what they really mean is “home defense”, and a suppressed 16” gun is just fine for that.

How do you know you hate gas to the face, or that it will be bad with your current gun? It may very well be, or maybe not.

The Flow 556k will require expectation management in the areas of sound and flash reduction. Unless you have a strong concern about gassiness, I’d recommend finding a lightweight medium-backpressure can and tuning the gun for suppressed-only use.

I've shot some obnoxious shorter AR's that were gassy in the face. Hated the feeling. The current setup is extremely low gas, I love it actually was just saying I don't want to switch to a short AR with a suppressor that doesn't have flow-through tech which leads to gas blowback. I assume it would be basically zero with the 16" Zion if I throw the 556k on it. If you think it's reasonable to suppress a 16" I'll probably just do that and if in the future I want something smaller then consider it. I've heard people talk like a 16" AR suppressed is like wielding a ladder so I just assumed it was a 'no' but it seems to be quite normal actually from the responses I've gotten. I appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ll echo those other guys.  I’d consider just adding an 11.5” or 12.5” but also look at the SilencerCo Velos LBP.  It’s supposedly got better flash reduction than the Flow 556k.

I am waiting for the Velos to come in stock so I can test it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By romad99:
I'll echo those other guys.  I'd consider just adding an 11.5" or 12.5" but also look at the SilencerCo Velos LBP.  It's supposedly got better flash reduction than the Flow 556k.

View Quote
Based on published specs the Velos is a heavy girl. As much as I like SilencerCo suppressors I went with a Griffin Explorr 223 EU. Liked it so much I ended upi getting it in 30 cal as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Based on published specs the Velos is a heavy girl. As much as I like SilencerCo suppressors I went with a Griffin Explorr 223 EU. Liked it so much I ended upi getting it in 30 cal as well.
View Quote

Nice!  I will have to check that one out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

@2JokersWild

I may have to order one of those.  It looks promising.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#16]
Based on published specs the Velos is a heavy girl.
View Quote
14 oz with a Plan A. Definitely not my lightest can, but not awful, depending on the gun itself and the balance. It does what it’s supposed to, and much better than I expected.

I think your Explorr recommendation is probably a good one, too.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By romad99:
I’ll echo those other guys.  I’d consider just adding an 11.5” or 12.5” but also look at the SilencerCo Velos LBP.  It’s supposedly got better flash reduction than the Flow 556k.

View Quote

Interesting. I thought Huxwrx was the only one making flow through style suppressors. My #1 important quality will be the least blowback/gas out the rear. I will check out the Velos LBP!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I don’t really have a recommendation on the silencer but I think downsizing to only 1 rifle is a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm leaning toward the Velos LBP now. My understanding is they have the Velos LBP 556k which may be better on a 16" setup for me, but it is not released yet. Any thoughts on the 556k Velos vs the full size for a 16" AR if I do just keep my current rifle?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm leaning toward the Velos LBP now. My understanding is they have the Velos LBP 556k which may be better on a 16" setup for me, but it is not released yet. Any thoughts on the 556k Velos vs the full size for a 16" AR if I do just keep my current rifle?
View Quote
I’m curious about the K and the 7.62, also. The regular Velos’ blast baffle easily passes a 7mm bullet (not fired), so they may have  left some room for the engineers with the future models, as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top