Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2018 7:31:55 AM EDT
I've gone through the tacked threads, some of them being 7 years old, things have changed quite a bit, so I figured I would ask.

I want to get a system with at least 3 external cameras, possibly a 4th interior watching the dog door. (Front door, Driveway, back patio, then either the gun room or the dog door)

What I would ultimately like is to be able to watch the feed from my firestick on any of the TVs in my house.

Recording, I'd like to be able to store at least the previous 24hrs (somewhere). When I'm out of town, with the alarm being tripped, I'll know that I'll be able to at least capture whatever happened.

I've been leery about wanting to go with the Ring doorbells or motion lights, because people are stealing them in my neighborhood, and they are slow on motion detection. I don't want to do battery Blink type cameras because I don't want to be swapping out rechargeable batteries every couple weeks.

I don't have any problem installing them myself. The typical companies we use for clients are fucking pricey, and I'm trying to not make this a $2000 project.

What do you guys like?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it have to be WiFi? How were you planning on powering these cameras?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Nest cameras are easy and work quite well. Customizable alarms, customizable activity zones, etc..  I've had zero complaints with mine after running them for a year.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had nest cams for a few years now they are amazing!
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't want batteries then you don't need them to be WiFi.

Get a POE switch, run Ethernet cable to each camera location, and be done with it.

Reolink, Dahua, and Hikvision are good options.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
wireless is not what you seek. but people are lazy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My NEST cameras are constantly going on and off line. Testing bandwidth at the actual location I'm getting 60 up and down so it's not that.  In fact bandwidth 200' into the street is still 25 up and down. Nest has been less than helpful in solving this.  Video quality is superb though.

To be honest my $25 wyze cameras are rock solid, capture motion snippets to the cloud for free and can store a week of constant on an SD card.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you don't want batteries then you don't need them to be WiFi.

Get a POE switch, run Ethernet cable to each camera location, and be done with it.

Reolink, Dahua, and Hikvision are good options.
View Quote
This and most systems come with a 4/8 port POE switch in the NVR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top