Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2018 10:29:42 AM EDT
I'm starting to ramp my reloading back up for my 223 rounds since winter is here, and I can't get out and shoot as much...so I reload.

I'm tired of trimming 223 cases by hand with the lee trimmer.  I found this WFT trimmer on amazon for $75....the reviews are great, and I have a small little drill press to mount it in.

The one thing it doesn't do is chamfer the inside of the case, so I'm going to have to go back and do that to every case.  Is there anything better out there for around the same price that will trim the cases fast, but also chamer the inside and outside?

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Giraud Tri-Way

I recently had to make this decision, but I don't have a drill press so I went with a Forster manual trimmer with a 3 in 1 cutter.

If I had a press I probably would have went with the Giraud. I have read nothing, but good things about it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I switched from the WFT to the Giraud Triway. Costs a  little bit more but it trims, chamfers and deburrs in one operation. I have mine mounted in a small drill press.

ttps://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a WFT for 300blk and got rid of it for a Giraud Tri-way.

Go with the Giraud.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Giraud Tri-Way or Trim-It II. Both will trim, chamfer and deburr in one step, unlike the WFT.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have WFTs for every rifle caliber I currently reload.  They work well.  My only complaint is at times brass shavings will get stuck in the shoulder of the bearing and change your case trim length.  I check length every few cases and sometimes have to clean the bearing with a q-tip.  I use a Lyman tool for chamfering and deburring.

Attachment Attached File

I think my next reloading purchase is going to be one of these though.  Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System with Hardened High Speed Steel Chamfer Debur Tool and Primer Pocket Scrapers with Trimmer.  It can be had for about the price of 2 WFTs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:07:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have WFTs for every rifle caliber I currently reload.  They work well.  My only complaint is at times brass shavings will get stuck in the shoulder of the bearing and change your case trim length.  I check length every few cases and sometimes have to clean the bearing with a q-tip.  I use a Lyman tool for chamfering and deburring.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45352/61h9QakwgGL__SL1030___Small__jpg-734126.JPG

I think my next reloading purchase is going to be one of these though.  Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System with Hardened High Speed Steel Chamfer Debur Tool and Primer Pocket Scrapers with Trimmer.  It can be had for about the price of 2 WFTs.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/45352/81WgCfu5UNL__SL1500___Small__jpg-734130.JPG
View Quote
I have a Frankford Arsenal trimmer.  It works just fine for me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Once you go to any motorized trimmer that trims, chamfers and deburrs in one step, you'll never go back and you'll wonder why you waited so long.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a RCBS power trim pro with a 3 cutter head..Still think it is one of the most consistent trimmer out there..once set it will cut every case the same...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Giraud Tri way made the other trimmers that don't debur and chamfer obsolete.
View Quote
For $100, that trip way trimmer looks great.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use a RCBS power trim pro with a 3 cutter head..Still think it is one of the most consistent trimmer out there..once set it will cut every case the same...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/nLfyX17VRWOTUyDKV8vf8w_jpg-734138.JPG
View Quote
Isn't that trimmer pretty slow? I'm just loading up plinking ammo, not precision target ammo. Im ok with teading speed for a little less precision.......when you ate procession 500+ rpundst at a time,  I want to trim cases fast!
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Isn't that trimmer pretty slow? I'm just loading up plinking ammo, not precision target ammo. Im ok with teading speed for a little less precision.......when you ate procession 500+ rpundst at a time,  I want to trim cases fast!
View Quote
Yep, a little slower it seems..And it makes sense if you are loading "plinking" type rounds to go with something faster for sure...I tend to think once one gets used to using one, that the speed difference isn't really that much, especially if a person has to chamfer and deburr in separate operations....or their fingers get so tired they have to stop or slowdown on the "faster" methods...
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a tri-way  trimmer in a cheap electric drill mounted in my vise so you have the desired chip accumulation falling down into the trimmer.

If you use it upside down in a drill press the chips can foul the area where  the case shoulder locates and get inconsistent results and sometimes a case gets jammed up in the trimmer and has to be pulled out with a pair of pliers and damages the case.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Who sells the Giraud Tri-Way trimmers? Or do I have to order direct from Giraud?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who sells the Giraud Tri-Way trimmers? Or do I have to order direct from Giraud?
View Quote
Nobody? I've searched amazon, Midway USA, etc, etc....can't find a place to buy one of these things!
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nobody? I've searched amazon, Midway USA, etc, etc....can't find a place to buy one of these things!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to the Giraud website, you don't order online. You order them in a real old fashioned way, you call them and place the order. A few weeks later they send it to you.

Giraud's business is a part time business, I heard Doug Giraud works as an engineer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Go to the Giraud website, you don't order online. You order them in a real old fashioned way, you call them and place the order. A few weeks later they send it to you.

Giraud's business is a part time business, I heard Doug Giraud works as an engineer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it takes him two weeks before he ships?  That stinks.....oh well, I guess that's my only choice at this point if I want one.

Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Check out the Trim-It II if you don’t want to wait. It does the exact same thing as the Giraud Tri-Way, the only difference is it’s adjustable for different calibers. The con for that is it can be finicky to adjust until you’ve done it a few times. The pro is you can add calibers for the cost of a trim die, about $20.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#19]
When I ordered mine it shipped right away. Had it in less then a week.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hornady Cam-Lock Case Trimmer Upgrade

I saw his video and had most of the stuff laying around to make one resembling a little lathe type deal that is shown in another thread here on the same subject. Ive deleted the pictures off my phone. It goes pretty quick and I use this step to inspect the case while its horizontal, spinning it before locking it down to trim. You dont have to grip each case while trimmimg. The cutters are cheaper than the other route caliber for caliber. If i wasnt invested in the equipment I had, id have gone as suggested by others here.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I know you are looking at powered options, have you looked at the L.E. Wilson case trimmers?  I have had mine for years and trimmed lord only knows how many cases with it.  It is still the best trimmer I have ever used.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#22]
What I would love to see is an adapter that allows a Bosch router with a 3-way to be set into a Dillon style sizing die. Something like the Honey Badger or Titan that will trim and chamfer in one pass.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I know you are looking at powered options, have you looked at the L.E. Wilson case trimmers?  I have had mine for years and trimmed lord only knows how many cases with it.  It is still the best trimmer I have ever used.
View Quote
I have the L.E. Wilson trimmer w/micrometer and you are correct, it is a great trimmer, more so if you add the power adapter and a drill. Problem is you still have to chamfer and deburr when you’re done. I haven’t used it since I bought the Trim-It II.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When I ordered mine it shipped right away. Had it in less then a week.
View Quote
Doug tries to keep real popular stuff like .223 in stock, but sometimes they do get sold out. You have to remember he runs a part I me business. Now he does not hide it and is honest about his delivery times.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Giraud Tri-Way

I recently had to make this decision, but I don't have a drill press so I went with a Forster manual trimmer with a 3 in 1 cutter.

If I had a press I probably would have went with the Giraud. I have read nothing, but good things about it.
View Quote
I believe it works with any drill. Does not have to be a drill press
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:45:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Giraud Tri-Way for sure. I have mine chucked into a Harbor Freight buffer motor (like a grinder). Added a foot switch, best device ever. Homemade bracket can operate in horizontal or vertical mode.

Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:16:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the info guys!

I called this afternoon and ordered a Giraud Tri-Way. They said it would ship next week.  It looks like a quality tool, worth the wait!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Giraud Tri-Way for sure. I have mine chucked into a Harbor Freight buffer motor (like a grinder). Added a foot switch, best device ever. Homemade bracket can operate in horizontal or vertical mode.

https://i.imgur.com/Hs7Zvjw.jpg
View Quote
Tag. I like this idea.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:28:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Two kinds of reloaders out there imo.  Those that have a giraud, and those that haven’t used one and recommend something else.

I used to have a WFT, now I have a giraud....don’t remember where my WFT is.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:13:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Two kinds of reloaders out there imo.  Those that have a giraud, and those that haven’t used one and recommend something else.

I used to have a WFT, now I have a giraud....don’t remember where my WFT is.
View Quote
Meh, My stuff works fine now, my concentration is on repeatable accuracy ..not to mention Giraud doesn't make a cutter for my most used cartridge(300RUM)..
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 2:36:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Meh, My stuff works fine now, my concentration is on repeatable accuracy ..not to mention Giraud doesn't make a cutter for my most used cartridge(300RUM)..
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice, I missed it the first time I looked thru their site.....won't matter, what I have now works perfectly as is...But thanks...
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:05:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Tag. I like this idea.
View Quote
Let me know if you need details.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#35]
WFT2 works just fine and is less expensive than the others.

I could care less if chamfers and deburrs.  If you tumble in SSTL media, that does that job for you.

I dont doubt the Giraud is great, but its like guys who have drank too much blue Koolaid, they always crow about how its the best...   please leave the google eyes in GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I dont doubt the Giraud is great, but its like guys who have drank too much blue Koolaid, they always crow about how its the best...
View Quote
That's because it is.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#37]
***UPDATE***

Well, I finally got a chance to try out this Giraud Tri-Way trimmer....man, this thing is awesome!! I went from trimming and chamfering 2-3 cases a minute, to 30+ cases a minute.

If you are thinking about ordering one...DO IT!!  I ordered it on Monday, and had it in my hands by Saturday afternoon.  It's super fast, and very consistent as far as lengths got.

Awesome tool!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Doesn't fit what the OP was looking for, but I agree.

I have a Wilson trimmer with the Sinclair micrometer adjustment. I love that tool. It's not fast, but it does a very nice job, trim lengths are accurate, and I like that I can flip each case around and clean off any high points on the case head as well. It's the only trimmer that I'm aware of that lets you do that.

I only reload rifle calibers for my bolt actions. If I was loading high volume for my ARs I'd probably buy a Giraud.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 2:38:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I have one.  It's a great tool.  I chuck mine into my drill press.  It takes about 10 seconds to check or trim a case.  Easy peasy.

kwg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top