Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2021 2:28:31 AM EDT
Im putting together an Aero EPC and I was thinking of using the Vltor A5 buffer in it.  Mostly because I accidentally bought an Vltor A5 PCC buffer and I already have an A5 Tube, so I figure I can just buy a spring and use it.

My question is about the spring.  Does the A5 system just use a standard rifle length spring, or is there some A5 specific spring?
Also, on Aero's website, they sell you a 308 spring to use with their PCC buffer.  Should I buy a rifle length 308 spring to use with the A5 buffer on the EPC, or just get a standard rifle length 5.56/.223 AR spring?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm running amphibian's setup - Tubb 5.56 flat wire spring with a Kynshot RB5007 in one lower. He has tons of data on various A5 setups.

Have not shot my 9mm upper on that lower yet but hope to do so soon, it is incredibly smooth in 5.56 tho.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#2]
You can read my take on the A5 system here: http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=977

The synopsis is that using the Tubb flat spring achieves about the same thing as the A5...however since the A5 tube gives you the ability to use longer heavier buffers, I still run them in addition to using a Tubb flat spring.

Most of my tuning tests pertain to running 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 300BLK.  For pistol caliber, I don't run a straight blowback 9mm anymore since the CMMG RDB came out.  I run 9mm / 40SW and .45 in the CMMG RDB system.

For a straight blowback setup, I'd say you should use the 308 Tubb flat spring with whatever buffer you like....in your case, use the A5 PCC buffer.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can read my take on the A5 system here: http://www.c3junkie.com/?page_id=977

The synopsis is that using the Tubb flat spring achieves about the same thing as the A5...however since the A5 tube gives you the ability to use longer heavier buffers, I still run them in addition to using a Tubb flat spring.

Most of my tuning tests pertain to running 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 300BLK.  For pistol caliber, I don't run a straight blowback 9mm anymore since the CMMG RDB came out.  I run 9mm / 40SW and .45 in the CMMG RDB system.

For a straight blowback setup, I'd say you should use the 308 Tubb flat spring with whatever buffer you like....in your case, use the A5 PCC buffer.
View Quote

Thanks.  Ill take a look at that stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top