Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2024 12:24:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
@Zhukov

My experience with FCD is if you set it according to Lee's directions, the crimp will be adequate for most loadings.

If you look into the top of the die after setting it and while a round is in it, you'll see the collet fingers have closed around the case and there will usually be a small gap between the fingers. If there is NO gap, you may be dinging the plating on the bullet; however, depending on the power level of the load, this may be desirable to prevent the bullet from pulling under recoil.

For what it's worth, I've pulled plated bullets that have been maxed crimped with FCD and have yet to find one where the plating is compromised- wasp-waisted for sure, but not compromised.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I have loaded quite a few .50 Beowulf Rainier bullets north of  1900 FPS.  They provided adequate, but not stellar accuracy.  Also, back in the day when loading 357 SIG, the truncated cone 125 grain Rainiers they worked reasonably well for full power loads.  Again, adequate accuracy.
Never found a good .357 magnum load I liked.  Possibly my crimp was too much, possibly I just didn't look hard enough.  Maybe my Ruger I was shooting just didn't like plated bullets.
Plated wadcutters showed regular accuracy when loaded in .38 Spl cases.
I have loaded 230 grain plated JHPs to conventional velocities with adequate accuracy.  Never saw any expansion from them, though.  These were also Rainiers, other brands might be different.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll second the M die if you aren't using something like a Dillon powder funnel die.

For the seating stage, if you have enough stations, dies that have a stem that holds everything inline are extremely helpful with flat-base type bullets. Redding Competition is the gold standard. Way less attention needs to be paid as everything lines itself up prior to the actual seat.

The now discontinued Redding Dual-Ring Carbide dies are another neat trick that keeps the case from getting wasp-waist and causing unnecessary resistance during seating which can throw things off or cause bullet damage.     .... Not that it generally matters with handgun ammo but the OCD is strong on my bench.

X-Treme used to have a "heavy plate" bullet line that took them closer to something like a Speer TMJ if you felt the necessity too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Thanks - it seems like it would be pretty difficult to break the plating with a collet-style crimp die. I'll crimp a couple and then check to make sure they look OK afterwards. Is it OK to use a kinetic bullet puller or should I use a cutoff disc in a Dremel to split the case?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zhukov:
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
https://i.imgur.com/RppyYhel.jpg

This is what you want your crimp on plated bullets to look like.

Break the plating....hello leading and poor accuracy.

While we are at it........

https://i.imgur.com/2t3eA3Yl.jpg

Get yourself a Lyman M die (about $20) for expanding the neck. Make your life easier.

Left, sized case, center after being expanded by M die, right, bullet inserts about 1/16 of an inch straight into case.

Bullet always starts straight into die without a chance of pinched fingers.

Here is the thread that convinced me to try a M die. Now all my die sets rifle and pistol have one added to the set.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Educate-Me-on-Lyman-M-Dies/42-452183/

Thanks - it seems like it would be pretty difficult to break the plating with a collet-style crimp die. I'll crimp a couple and then check to make sure they look OK afterwards. Is it OK to use a kinetic bullet puller or should I use a cutoff disc in a Dremel to split the case?

Kinetic would be easier IMO.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Would seriously like to hear your results with these bullets and what you are shooting them in.  

I just tried my 3rd manufacture lead / hi tek coated bullet in 44 mag in my henry rifle.  They all tumble.......

So far hornady 240 xtp is all it shoots great.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Good thing I load all my stuff to just cycle the slide when doing plated rounds.

All though I got 500 50ae bullets to load from extreme.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:06:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By acman145acp:
Would seriously like to hear your results with these bullets and what you are shooting them in.  

I just tried my 3rd manufacture lead / hi tek coated bullet in 44 mag in my henry rifle.  They all tumble.......

View Quote

What Henry and what weight of bullet?  My 44 side gate all weather shoots Acme 240 grain SWC’s over Win244 just fine.  Haven’t shot my older “Classic” yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:58:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: acman145acp] [#16]
Originally Posted By compuvette:

What Henry and what weight of bullet?  My 44 side gate all weather shoots Acme 240 grain SWC’s over Win244 just fine.  Haven’t shot my older “Classic” yet.
View All Quotes

44 Big Boy Steel Carbine side gate brand new

I beleive all of these are hi tek coated .......240 swc bayou bullets 10.5 unique, 240 smasher mbc rnfp 9.5 unique and 225 gr acme rnfp 9.5 unique all of these keyhole with my gun
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#17]

I beleive all of these are hi tek coated .......240 swc bayou bullets 10.5 unique, 240 smasher mbc rnfp 9.5 unique and 225 gr acme rnfp 9.5 unique all of these keyhole with my gun
View All Quotes

That sounds like a barrel that's oversized. What are the chances three bullet manufacturers would make undersized 44 cal projectiles?

Have you slugged the barrel to see what the actual diameter is? Wonder if you ended up with a .45cal barrel chambered for .44, similar to the .224" barrel blanks Century used for a batch of 5.45 (.221" bullet diameter) rifles.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Kinetic puller works fine.
View Quote

+1 collet pullers are handy in certain applications but a Kinetic hammer type while a pain will always work.  A lot of times a collet will slip if there isn’t enough of a parallel wall of the bullet shank to grip.   You can of course keep on cranking the collet and ruin the bullet or switch to the hammer type with a foam ear plug or two pushed in the bottom of the hammer opening to soften the pulled bullets impact when it comes loose.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

That sounds like a barrel that's oversized. What are the chances three bullet manufacturers would make undersized 44 cal projectiles?

Have you slugged the barrel to see what the actual diameter is? Wonder if you ended up with a .45cal barrel chambered for .44, similar to the .224" barrel blanks Century used for a batch of 5.45 (.221" bullet diameter) rifles.
View Quote

Agreed.  check the rifling and throat.  Pound down throat cast, or push in a large enough round ball and push it back out, or even better buy cerrosafe or it’s equivalent from Rotometals.

For the pound downs I would take a spare case fired in that rifle ( so it fits), and fill it full of molten lead to just below the lip.  I would insert a round ball or a pure lead cast bullet and then chamber my lead fulled case.  Then take a solid brass rod down from the muzzle and keep giving it smart taps with a mallet until the bullet deforms to fill the the throat to give a good impression.  Eject case, tap out deformed bullet.  Then measure the grooves on the lead slug.   That method or cerrosafe is the best way to “take a picture” of the interior.

For your purposes, just driving a greased round ball in the barrel should work.  Just be sure the round ball is large enough to touch and scrape the bottom of the rifling grooves or you missed the objective of the task.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top