Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#1]
On a 4-wheeler or atv, I’ve found that supplemental IR is not necessary...
YMMV
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#2]
On UTVs etc. I use a vampire head in an M-Ax mount on my helmet. In the truck I just run the amber parking lights.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Just WiFi to a SiOnyx Aurora mounted on a beefy magnetic camera mount with an iPad in a dash mount. duct tape a few 940nm led flashlights to it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just WiFi to a SiOnyx Aurora mounted on a beefy magnetic camera mount with an iPad in a dash mount. duct tape a few 940nm led flashlights to it.
View Quote

How’s the lag work for you? It seems bad enough swinging a rifle. I can’t imagine it’d be better traveling at 10-20mph but at least there’s no pan tilt to compound the effects.

I imagine I could duplicate the effectiveness of that rig with a cheap wireless security camera & 850nm light for $500 less.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On UTVs etc. I use a vampire head in an M-Ax mount on my helmet. In the truck I just run the amber parking lights.
View Quote

It’s a rare night when I don’t have a want for supplemental IR from a vehicle no matter if I’m moving at a travel or scanning pace.

If there are 2-3 people in a rig scanning with i2, helmet mounted illum is about the best way to have a rough night imo.

I personally want a light bar or pods running for illumination in a rig because it never fails that someone running helmet mounted illum is going to blind the other guys looking at them or simply by reflecting it off the roll cage etc.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a very valid point. I'm almost always solo, and when I do have a guest they are using my loaner gear that lacks a powerful helmet mounted illum. Great to get another perspective.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How’s the lag work for you? It seems bad enough swinging a rifle. I can’t imagine it’d be better traveling at 10-20mph but at least there’s no pan tilt to compound the effects.

I imagine I could duplicate the effectiveness of that rig with a cheap wireless security camera & 850nm light for $500 less.
View Quote

I’ve done it. It’s fine. Probably wouldn’t want to do more than about 35 or go off roading.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]
There are plenty of situations where I am located where supplemental IR lighting is needed. I run a single spot beam from Black oak led on my quad. I would NOT recommend them. The light works but everything is really poor quality. I have a set of Lightforce Spot beam pods on my truck and they are really good quality for the price and the lighting is great. There are a lot of times when there is little moon light where you wont see the road very well. Especially in the woods. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually do not need it, but I did get one of those Goblin Tactical light bars for my utv if it is reallly dark.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I usually do not need it, but I did get one of those Goblin Tactical light bars for my utv if it is reallly dark.
View Quote

Same, I mounted it higher on the front of my quad to throw over tall field grass.  That thing throws like 300 yds with no moon.  I drunk purchased a plug and play bar with magnet feet and cig adapter for my truck.  I just stick it to the hood and bomb along the back road.  Good purchase.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The amber parking lights with NODs on the jeep we use is brighter than the headlights without NODs, LOL
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The amber parking lights with NODs on the jeep we use is brighter than the headlights without NODs, LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I do in my truck with the parking lights.  Turning them all the way off jacks up the brightness of everything else in the truck to the point I can’t see out the windshield and I’m too lazy to fuck with the electrical shit in the truck to change that.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is what I do in my truck with the parking lights.  Turning them all the way off jacks up the brightness of everything else in the truck to the point I can’t see out the windshield and I’m too lazy to fuck with the electrical shit in the truck to change that.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cover with towel, redneck dimmer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top