Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2020 7:52:45 PM EDT
Just received our FFL (07) looking for a company that does variances. Did a search here and couldn't find anything. Last FFL we had before I PCS'd to Germany we use QD out of Arizona. Been trying to contact them for 3 months to no avail. Suggestion's or list I can call?
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#1]
New Frontier Armory

I've used these guys in the past. Never an issue.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll give em' a holler, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]
You might check with Tactical Machining, as well. I doubt they are taking any new variance customers right now, but when the dust settles, and you are looking for someone to make you variance lowers, they will be a good resource.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
San Tan Tactical in Arizona
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just received our FFL (07) looking for a company that does variances. Did a search here and couldn't find anything. Last FFL we had before I PCS'd to Germany we use QD out of Arizona. Been trying to contact them for 3 months to no avail. Suggestion's or list I can call?
View Quote

I also used New Frontier Armory and they turned out very nice. They made the process very easy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]
QD is my “go to” FFL before I became an FFL. Sadly, they are not like what they are used to be. Back in the day, the owner not always post as “friendly” but he will talk to you if u ask him a question. Last time I spoke to him, letting him know I’m becoming an FFL. He seemed interested and even tell me that he can do customer lower for me. Long story short, I was there few weeks back for the customer lower thing. He didn’t wanna do it. Not like he doesn’t like me or whatever, but to me it’s more like he was done with this business.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
QD is my “go to” FFL before I became an FFL. Sadly, they are not like what they are used to be. Back in the day, the owner not always post as “friendly” but he will talk to you if u ask him a question. Last time I spoke to him, letting him know I’m becoming an FFL. He seemed interested and even tell me that he can do customer lower for me. Long story short, I was there few weeks back for the customer lower thing. He didn’t wanna do it. Not like he doesn’t like me or whatever, but to me it’s more like he was done with this business.
View Quote

Yep, I finally got a response. But I had already worked a variance with DRG Manufacturing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#8]
So when you receive these lowers from the company that did the variance work, how do you log it in?

What goes in the acquisition space? Your company name or the name of the company that did the work?

I realize your company name goes in the manufacturer space.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You might check with Tactical Machining, as well. I doubt they are taking any new variance customers right now, but when the dust settles, and you are looking for someone to make you variance lowers, they will be a good resource.
View Quote

Tactical Machining isn't taking any new customers at this time, and one of their machines is currently down.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep, I finally got a response. But I had already worked a variance with DRG Manufacturing.
View Quote

What was your volume?  I have understood DRG to be mostly very large volumes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I just received a large order of lowers with the full M16 pocket cut from Black Creek Precision that we placed back August. The Variance process was simple but do to the state of the economy, the virus and the firearms market it took forever to receive them.
But I’m happy with their work and would recommend them again and will be placing another order soon. They assured me that they have a steady supply of forged lowers coming in per an existing agreement with a foundry.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I just got my variance back in 3 days last week after filing with New Frontier Armory. That was easy, the timeline is 22-24 weeks on lowers though. I made a small order to see the product before I commit to a larger one but I’m sure it will all be fine. Uppers were 8-10 weeks but I don’t know how that’s going to jive with being anodized together.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#14]
My buddy is in the process of getting his 07 FFL mainly because his wife is wanting to expand her Cerakoting business into firearms.

I know quite a bit about the 01 FFL business, but how do you apply for a variance and what is the cost of the lowers?

Are they cheaper than just buying normal lowers?

What are the minimum order sizes some companies will do?

My buddy could probably swing 50 maybe 100.

But not if the minimum order is like 1,000!
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My buddy is in the process of getting his 07 FFL mainly because his wife is wanting to expand her Cerakoting business into firearms.

I know quite a bit about the 01 FFL business, but how do you apply for a variance and what is the cost of the lowers?

Are they cheaper than just buying normal lowers?

My buddy could probably swing 50 maybe 100.

But not if the minimum order is like 1,000!
View Quote

NFA’s minimum order is 10
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Black Creek Precision min order is 25, want to say Aero's is 1,000.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What was your volume?  I have understood DRG to be mostly very large volumes.
View Quote

24 per order in 5.56 and 15 in .308
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top