Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2020 7:51:02 PM EDT
Anybody have experience with the Vang Comp modified Remington Police Magnums? There is a new one for sale on a forum I frequent. Guy wants $1100 for it. It is a Model 77. If you know anything about them, I'd appreciate some info.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a mossberg done by them and its sweet. I know a guy that has the 870 you speak of and it's pretty damn slick. I don't know shit about pricing but as pumps go that's the pinnacle of 870.

I prefer 590.... but...
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I sent Hans my 870P.  I had him back bore the chamber,  port the barrel,  install the LPA rear, fiber optic front.
I put the Vang Comp safety, his stainless follower on which I got from brownells.
Buying an 870P with all that work done and those parts, I'm pretty sure would cost more than $1100.
I'm very happy with the shotgun, and wouldn't hesitate to use it in any situation.  Well maybe goose hunting, it's not really cut out for that.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 5:00:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I may try and get this one. What does backboring consist of?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#4]
The problem with these guns are for the money invested in them. You will lose your ass on them if you try to resell it.
For a pump shotgun who would spend that kind of money when you can get an auto of a major manufacturer for not much more.
Once you buy an $1100 pump gun you are married to it unless you can find a sucker or you sell it for a greatly reduced price.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Just look around and pickup a used police trade in 870P. Clean it really well and replace all of the springs with OEM springs for the police model. Available from Remington pretty cheap. If the trigger housing/guard is polymer keep it, stronger than the metal ones.

Get a wad of 0000 steel wool and wrap it around a bore brush, chuck the end of the cleaning rod in a drill and lightly polish out the bore and magazine tube. Just a few passes is all it will take.

Add the following items as you have funds:
- S&J Hardware safety
- Vang follower from Brownells (if you prefer polymer get one from S&J.)
- Get a Bigdot night sight from Brownells if you have a front bead. This installs over the bead using Locktite BlackMax adhesive.  It's like super superglue that can withstand shock.

Spend the money saved on ammo. Be sure to get some good tactical ammo too. I use Federal and Hornaday LE rounds.

Forego the backboring and porting. Good ammo will accomplish the same.

Have it Cerakoted.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M-Forgery:
Just look around and pickup a used police trade in 870P. Clean it really well and replace all of the springs with OEM springs for the police model. Available from Remington pretty cheap. If the trigger housing/guard is polymer keep it, stronger than the metal ones.

Get a wad of 0000 steel wool and wrap it around a bore brush, chuck the end of the cleaning rod in a drill and lightly polish out the bore and magazine tube. Just a few passes is all it will take.

Add the following items as you have funds:
- S&J Hardware safety
- Vang follower from Brownells (if you prefer polymer get one from S&J.)
- Get a Bigdot night sight from Brownells if you have a front bead. This installs over the bead using Locktite BlackMax adhesive.  It's like super superglue that can withstand shock.

Spend the money saved on ammo. Be sure to get some good tactical ammo too. I use Federal and Hornaday LE rounds.

Forego the backboring and porting. Good ammo will accomplish the same.

Have it Cerakoted.

Enjoy!
View Quote

Awesome advice
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got an old Winchester 1300 Defender that I love. Some people turn their noses up at them. I have tried to jam this gun, and I have yet to do it. Very reliable. I have seen several 870s malfunction over the years. I have yet to see this one do it, though. I may just stick with what I've got. Thanks for the info, everybody.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Just picked up a police trade in 870P for $340. I added Rem. +3 extension to it. The 870 has rifle sights which I like second only to scattergun track locks and it has a speed feed shell carrier buttstock, which I am fond of.

I'll polish the bore with some JB bore polish and it really needs nothing else.

Have a case of le132 00 buck coming on monday.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By arfn:
Thanks. I may try and get this one. What does backboring consist of?
View Quote

Backboring is lengthening the chamber part the barrel, by doing this it allows the cartridge to open fully which according to Hans Vang, leads to a tightener shot pattern.

You can find people who love it and people who think it's snake oil.  I'm in the former group.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks again for all of the info.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#14]
These are of course very nice shotguns but the market for pump guns is shrinking.  I would not make this big of an investment unless you are already married to that specific platform.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

It most certainly does something for buckshot.

I don't bust clays so I leave that to others, but I see the results of Vang's barrel treatment on buckshot on a consistent basis and it works.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:
Originally Posted By mike103:
Back boring is like porting on shotguns.

Sells guns but doesn’t really do anything.

http://www.claytargettesting.com/Bore_Diameter/Bore_Diameter.pdf

It most certainly does something for buckshot.

I don't bust clays so I leave that to others, but I see the results of Vang's barrel treatment on buckshot on a consistent basis and it works.

This. I compared a VCS barrel (back boring plus forcing cone lengthening) to one that just had the forcing cone lengthened. The VCS barrel had smaller patterns than the other barrel.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Back boring is like porting on shotguns.

Sells guns but doesn’t really do anything.

http://www.claytargettesting.com/Bore_Diameter/Bore_Diameter.pdf
View Quote
That was an interesting read. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Shotgun bore dimensions are relative for the entirety of the bore.  Back boring doesn’t work alone.  It must be proportional to the dimensions of the entire bore.

If you want to see some WTF...dig up the internal bore diameter for a 12 ga from Rem, Win, Benelli, Perazzi, Browning (over unders vs auto), and similar.  

They are wildly different...and it’s why chokes that are awesome in one gun will suck in another...that proportional relationship.

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Pistol grip is Vang comp’d without ports. Rifle stock is not. Both 870Ps

Attachment Attached File

Ammo

Attachment Attached File

Vang Comp gun

Attachment Attached File

Second shot overlapping first shot. Second shot is with the unmodified rifle stock’s 870P

Attachment Attached File

Target was at 10 yards.

Like a dumbass I forgot my marker, but counting pellets and seeing the pattern, I really need to shoot this and see if it was worth it. This is the first shot of the vcs barrel.

Looking at this target, I can tell you it’s not a fist sized spread to a pumpkin spread difference. I can’t really see a difference. What I will say, the recoil impulse is night and day. The vcs takes the mule kick out of it and makes it more manageable to stay on target and presumably quicker follow ups. I’m glad I didn’t opt for ports because I don’t see it necessary and am happy with the recoil reduction.

Hmm.

I’d just get the pd trade ins. I think the rifle stock trade in was around $300 with rifle sights and extendo mag, plus the dome head safety, plus the shell saddle, and plus the stainless follower.

The scattergun ghost ring/pistol grip was new and around $550-600? Plus the same safety, shell saddle, and follower added with the Vang Comp and streamlight pump.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Pistol grip is Vang comp'd without ports. Rifle stock is not. Both 870Ps

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376523/34A4627D-9D6E-44BD-ACF5-C126C275257E_jpe-1423527.JPG

Ammo

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376523/810E69F0-267E-4328-B23A-69BCBF20546F_jpe-1423529.JPG

Vang Comp gun

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376523/E06DC7B0-0225-4C91-92D8-001FAED27D11_jpe-1423531.JPG

Second shot overlapping first shot. Second shot is with the unmodified rifle stock's 870P

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/376523/5DA45B9B-2C8E-45DA-876A-D2C0B8B76101_jpe-1423535.JPG

Target was at 10 yards.

Like a dumbass I forgot my marker, but counting pellets and seeing the pattern, I really need to shoot this and see if it was worth it. This is the first shot of the vcs barrel.

Looking at this target, I can tell you it's not a fist sized spread to a pumpkin spread difference. I can't really see a difference. What I will say, the recoil impulse is night and day. The vcs takes the mule kick out of it and makes it more manageable to stay on target and presumably quicker follow ups. I'm glad I didn't opt for ports because I don't see it necessary and am happy with the recoil reduction.

Hmm.

I'd just get the pd trade ins. I think the rifle stock trade in was around $300 with rifle sights and extendo mag, plus the dome head safety, plus the shell saddle, and plus the stainless follower.

The scattergun ghost ring/pistol grip was new and around $550-600? Plus the same safety, shell saddle, and follower added with the Vang Comp and streamlight pump.
View Quote
Try federal flight control buckshot.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-56-federal-flight-control-1-buckshot/

My experiences mirror his results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top