Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2018 3:32:32 PM EDT
A friend of mine passed away a few years back and while the rest of his collection was already taken care of an 1894 remains that his wife asked me to look at.  I'm trying to figure out an idea of the value on it.  I'm definitely not a lever gun expert or a good judge of condition so any help would be appreciated.

It's a Winchester 1894 chambered in 25-35 WCF.  The serial number is 115xxx which I've seen conflicting info on as far as the year that corresponds to.  A chart linked on Winchester's website says 1897, while the decoder on Winchestercollector.org says it's a 1901.  Other than that the wood is solid but has some dings up front which I tried to picture and various other scratches, etc.  I was going to order up a box of ammo to test fire it but it certainly looks like it would function just fine.

What's a good price to try to sell it for?  It would just be a local sale as that's the easiest and least risky as far as shipping, etc.  Thanks for any help.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?  I'm not looking for an exact dollar value, just a general idea of a price range would be helpful.  
I did order up a box of 20 rounds and test it out.  I kind of like it and did pretty decent with it, now I'm thinking about whether or not I should buy it. I kind of wish it was chambered in 30-30 though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Around $600-$900 depending on local demand - and the caliber does hurt it a little.  
It's got what I call an honest patina - don't try to improve it - unless you are doing a real restoration with a known shop (like Turnbull).
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
No clue on value, but it's cool.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Around $600-$900 depending on local demand - and the caliber does hurt it a little.  
It's got what I call an honest patina - don't try to improve it - unless you are doing a real restoration with a known shop (like Turnbull).
View Quote
I'd agree with this.  The caliber really does hurt a bit though as it's a bit of an oddball these days.  Around here I'd see that in a retail shop for +/-$1,000 while a more common caliber like 30-30 would be $1,200-ish same condition.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info everyone.  I was guessing it was somewhere in the 9-12 range so I was a bit high but not too far off.  Maybe I'll see about buying it myself.
I still really wish it was a 30-30, I can't imagine there will be too much demand for 25-35 ammo down the road and it's hard enough to find now.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#6]
25/35 is an easy round to reload so that would not bother me in the least. In most Winchester levers the bigger the caliber the more value. So for example a 38/55 would be likely more valuable that a 30/30 despite the caliber being less common. If it really dates to 97 the antique status would add a premium of a few hundred.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top