Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2020 2:08:11 PM EDT
Looking to get my first M1 Garand.

There are a few locally. I know very little about these.

As a general starting point, what is the value of a decent condition Springfield Garand?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking to get my first M1 Garand.

There are a few locally. I know very little about these.

As a general starting point, what is the value of a decent condition Springfield Garand?

Thanks
View Quote

Around here, starts about $1200 in Service Grade shape.

I think CMP pricing is $750 or so when available.
Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
CMP grades and sales  

Take a look at the cmp inventory, if you buy locally, make sure it's a "real" Garand.  

If the serial number is higher than 6084405 run.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If its a nothing special, shooter grade M1 with mismatched parts, chances are it came through the CMP at one time. Do not overpay, as the fudds love to mark them up. Check out the link above and get one through the CMP.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you’re looking for something specific just go CMP, supports a great operation and way cheaper than you’ll probably find on armslist
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#5]
An additional benefit of buying from the CMP is, any problems and they'll take care of it.
Buy locally and you seldom get any kind of warranty.

Also, if you want to upgrade a CMP M1, they do custom gunsmithing for members.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you’re looking for something specific just go CMP, supports a great operation and way cheaper than you’ll probably find on armslist
View Quote

Great way to get started in M1 collecting. You will be guaranteed to get a decent rifle at a cheap price. Once you buy a CMP service grade you have a reason to do research to learn about it. While doing research you will learn a lot you can use to knowledgeably buy locally.

Be really careful of the local market. There is a lot of poor examples sold for way more than CMP pricing. Worse cases are welded receivers. Not so worse cases are CMP field grades, imports and sewer pipe barrels sold for several hundred more than a CMP service grade. Right now there is a really good looking Garand on Gunbroker going for over $1000 with a welded receiver and cracked stock. People obviously don’t know what they are bidding on. The 1903 market is as bad or worse with all the rebuilt drill rifles.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I resisted the cmp for awhile because of all the hoops. When I actually sat down, printed off the forms, paid the affiliated club and mailed my papers in I had maybe 1 hour in doing all the work. Had my 1942 springfield in about 2 weeks to my door.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Go through the CMP. I did and got a really nice Springfield for $650.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top