Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2018 10:40:47 AM EDT
My in-laws have a French Berthier (1916?) rifle.  It's the full-length rifle, not the carbine; it looks to be in good shape and is reportedly shootable; it has the straight bolt handle and 5-round magazine.  They might want to sell it, but they don't know what it's worth, and neither do I.  Does anyone have a ballpark estimate for what they might be able to get for it?  They're in Illinois if that helps.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My in-laws have a French Berthier 1886 rifle.  It's the full-length rifle, not the carbine; it looks to be in good shape and is reportedly shootable; it has the straight bolt handle and 5-round magazine.  They might want to sell it, but they don't know what it's worth, and neither do I.  Does anyone have a ballpark estimate for what they might be able to get for it?  They're in Illinois if that helps.

Thanks!
View Quote
Is the date correct?  If its a 1886 then it is a Lebel and not a Berthier.  Lebels have a tubular magazine.  The Berthier uses a Mannlicher style en bloc clip (3 and 5 round versions depending on the model).

If it is a 5 shot Berthier the prices are all over the place.  Depending on how the rifle is marked can affect things.  The French gave these things out all over the world.  Also, has it been modified to shoot Ball N ammo?  Not all 8mm Lebel ammunition is the same.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You're right, it's not an 1886.  It's a Berthier.  Has the 5-round magazine, so looks to be the 1916 version.  Maybe.  I have asked for additional photos of markings - don't know manufacturer, serial number, date of manufacture, or ammunition.  I didn't know about the ammo difference - will the rifle be marked in some way to show which is correct?
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Rifle was made at St. Etienne, if that helps.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#5]
when you get pics, compare it to this completed auction and go from there

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769351789
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, a little more info.  Rifle was made at St. Etienne, but does not have a model number or year of manufacture marked on the receiver.  Most (all?) pics of Berthiers I've seen have the model marked on the receiver next to the manufacturer.  There is also a very small "F" (or possibly "E") marked on the receiver to the left of the manufacturer (i.e. toward the barrel).

Bolt head is marked 44, bolt handle is marked 3808, and trigger guard is marked N67425.

Those are the only markings I can see in the photos and the only ones my mother in law can find on the gun.  I realize there might be some numbers on the barrel under the handguard, but getting at those is going to be beyond their technical ability.  They're not gun people and just want to know whether they should sell it off or give it away.

There are very few Berthiers that I can find listed online; I take this to mean they are either rare or rarely sold.  It doesn't give me much to go on to give them a ballpark price.  Do they generally take a while to sell?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
serial will be on barrel left side wood line under handguard if no cut out.

They aren't super common but dont bring big money unless really nice matching.

Middle east well used mixmaster maybe $200-300.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
@ Gun Jesus

He will buy it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Just bumping to see if anyone thinks this rifle might be worth more than $200-$300.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I happily paid $400 (might have been $425) for a very nice condition Continsouza made Berthier rifle. I see Berthier rifles very rarely around these parts.

Pics in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I would jump on it for $200!
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#12]

So you can see where the markings are.  You need to pull the barrel bands and check under the hand guard.

Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine is matching and minty and in N marked.

I load for it by breaking down 1939 Greek milsurp 8mm and using the powder and projectiles swapped right over for a good level load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top