Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2024 3:51:49 PM EDT
Background on me- Just an outdoorsman.  I spend a lot of time in the woods and water and a lot of time at the range at 3 gun and run and gun matches.  5'8", 165 pounds, 31" waist.  Shoe size is not relevant.

I'm going out west this summer with my oldest son, spending a week fishing somewhat remote.  I've always typically carried a sidearm in either a OWB or IWB holster for fishing and hiking.  But, here in KY most of our creek fishing in warm weather is done without waders- just old shoes and shorts.  And I don't fish much in cold weather.  

Colder rivers and creeks out west will require wearing waders, and brings a little issue of easy access to a firearm.  I'm considering the VIKTOS low key chest rig due to it not looking out of place while fly fishing, or even walking around town in the evening.  This chest rig is also large enough to carry a small pair of binos, some water, and some snacks.  Does anyone have experience with it or any other "low viz" type chest rigs?

Link- https://www.viktos.com/products/lowkey-chest-rig?variant=39522890481760&clicked=link
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Hill People Gear is another one.

I don't own any of their products but have seen them mentioned on here enough. More expensive than Viktos, but not by a whole lot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out some of the stuff Helikon-Tex makes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mezcalfud] [#3]
I just bought the Viktos chest rig with the exterior mag pouches and although I haven't used it yet in a class, I really like the weight and fit. I assume it will be the same materials and chassis? Primary arms had all of the Viktos packs on sale for 60$ last week so keep an eye out or if you are Mil- direct site offers a 30% discount.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Is Viktos stuff any good? I rummaged through their wares at an NRA show years ago. Seemed okay, but not outstanding.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a fan boy but they make good stuff at a reasonable price. I have an awesome rifle bag that they don't make anymore, a few long sleeve range shirts , the chest rig and a dopp kit.

That said, they slap a huge dumb ass logo on everything.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:
Hill People Gear is another one.

I don't own any of their products but have seen them mentioned on here enough. More expensive than Viktos, but not by a whole lot.
View Quote

I use a Hpg runners kit bag for running, duck hunting and late season goose.  I wear it over my fleece layers and keep a g19, reload, phone, wallet, keys in it.  

Works great with chest waders out duck hinting.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Hill people Gear, Kifaru Steelhead and the FHF Gear items are the ones made in usa and are accordingly priced over 200$. Marsupial Gear is too made in USA but priced lower, however check with care as some have a bottom mounted holster and not an internal one.

The Viktos, Helikon Numbat and 5.11 Skyweight are made in far east and priced lower.

Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I don’t have experience with the one posted in the OP but I use a HP kit bag when backcountry fly fishing. The one you posted OP should be OK.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I went with the VIKTOS due to it looking the least like a gun bag, and having a lot of features.  I figure it'll carry my phone, a couple snack bars, bottle of water, Glock 35 with Surefire, and a couple spare magazines.  Wearing it around the house last night it's comfortable.  I'll have opportunities to hike and fish in it a few times before heading out west later this summer.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Transit Sling bag?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]
You may find that you need  to tape up those front clips, they fall out of the loops constantly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Kelty Sling Bag looks like a pretty low key option.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mezcalfud:
You may find that you need  to tape up those front clips, they fall out of the loops constantly.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.  I wish it had fastex type buckles instead of the metal clips.  But to be fair, I haven't worn it enough yet to see if it's an issue.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

The family and I spent a few days way outside of our AO for spring break.  I used the Viktos chest rig on multiple hikes, while wearing an osprey day pack with it. I was worried about the buckles on the rear panel causing a hot spot, but even with just a t-shirt under the chest rig it was not a problem.  Carried inside the chest rig was a Glock 19, loaded, with a Surefire x300, spare magazine, gerber multi tool, map and compass.  Comfortable, easy to access, and no complaints.  I didn’t have any issue w the buckles coming undone.  

First test run is successful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top