Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2020 11:36:04 PM EDT
I just got my Uzi in.  It is an Action arms, model A open bolt.   Ran about 5 mags with no problems.  The ammo was Winchester
124gr NATO.  Supposed to be near +p.  

The issue I saw was some bulges in the ejected cases.  The bulge was near the rear of the case and not all the way around.  I also noticed the primer strikes were very deep or firm.  Any safety issue?  Chamber or possible early ignition?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure it will show.  It’s highlighted by some burn.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:40:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#3]
That's just how those Uzis are. I mean the only thing I could say is check the chamber in your Barrel to make sure it's very clean and not fouled up and allowing the cartridge to stop a little before it's fully seated by the time that detonates. That being said Uzi's are very robust guns.
What kind of barrel do you have? Is it an actual Israeli, German, South Africanl or an aftermarket? The military spec barrels are known for having kind of odd Chambers to where they are loose at the mouth and tighten up as it goes towards the seat. Most likely you're just over analyzing it. As long as you're not getting split cases you should be fine.
As far as the primers I'm not seeing any problems. These guns just smash the hell out of them and as long as primers aren't being pierced your good.

On another note if you happen to be a reloader Uzi is a great submachine gun to load for. You can use once fired brass that has the dreaded Glock bulge from the unsupported chamber and it has no problem. Brass that would cause my other guns to not fully close because of the little bulge near the rim of the case. My Uzi just eats it right up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's just how those Uzis are. I mean the only thing I could say is check the chamber in your Barrel to make sure it's very clean and not fouled up and allowing the cartridge to stop a little before it's fully seated by the time that detonates. That being said Uzi's are very robust guns.
What kind of barrel do you have? Is it an actual Israeli, German, South Africanl or an aftermarket? The military spec barrels are known for having kind of odd Chambers to where they are loose at the mouth and tighten up as it goes towards the seat. Most likely you're just over analyzing it. As long as you're not getting split cases you should be fine.
As far as the primers I'm not seeing any problems. These guns just smash the hell out of them and as long as primers aren't being pierced your good.

On another note if you happen to be a reloader Uzi is a great submachine gun to load for. You can use once fired brass that has the dreaded Glock bulge from the unsupported chamber and it has no problem. Brass that would cause my other guns to not fully close because of the little bulge near the rim of the case. My Uzi just eats it right up.
View Quote

I was going to ask the OP if he’d ever looked at the brass from a 40 S&W Glock. Shit’s not normal, but it’s normal.

I have a Lee U die for that type of nonsense.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
First post nails it, as usual
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Open bolts with a fixed firing pin hammer the hell out of primers.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.  Just being careful. It's pretty minor.  I do have some extra barrels.  From 8-10 inches. Not sure what make the barrels are.  I'll check for markings.  I saw German and Israeli parts.  I have a lot of spares.  I'll post up those tomorrow. Ran perfect. Just wanted to make sure it was ok.  And it's fun!
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Also @delta-10 thanks for the detailed reply.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Is this your first machine gun? My uzi was mine. I am so glad I spent the extra cash for it verses getting a Mac. Cheap (in a relative sense) & plentiful parts plus it just looks better.
I never have used the folding stock, always the fixed wood one. I did recently get a polymer one. Us barrel shrouds has them less the hardware for cheap. Strip the hardware off a surpluss wooden one and you are in business. People have been getting $400 Plus for them recently.

https://shop.usbarrelshrouds.com/Uzi-IMI-Black-Poly-Plastic-Stock-Type-7-NEW-SMG--See-description-_p_46.html
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I got the speed buffers, 5 barrels and the Wood stock with it.  I’ve shot a bunch, but this is my first.  I need to get one of the barrels threaded so I can shoot suppressed.  

2 of the barrels are cut right at the barrel nut.  I also have a couple different barrel nuts.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
That’s quite an eclectic assortment of barrels you have there. From the top is a standard UZI SMG barrel, a compensated mini UZI barrel, a cut down UZI carbine barrel, and a cut down UZI SMG barrel.

That mini UZI barrel might be worth a few coins to someone with a mini.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is this your first machine gun? My uzi was mine. I am so glad I spent the extra cash for it verses getting a Mac. Cheap (in a relative sense) & plentiful parts plus it just looks better.
I never have used the folding stock, always the fixed wood one. I did recently get a polymer one. Us barrel shrouds has them less the hardware for cheap. Strip the hardware off a surpluss wooden one and you are in business. People have been getting $400 Plus for them recently.

https://shop.usbarrelshrouds.com/Uzi-IMI-Black-Poly-Plastic-Stock-Type-7-NEW-SMG--See-description-_p_46.html
View Quote

Thanks, picked one up and donor parts from Numrich

Wood Stock Cheap
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got the speed buffers, 5 barrels and the Wood stock with it.  I've shot a bunch, but this is my first.  I need to get one of the barrels threaded so I can shoot suppressed.  

2 of the barrels are cut right at the barrel nut.  I also have a couple different barrel nuts.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252956/50F175A1-8342-44D1-8D9C-4F74013D4AA9_jpe-1463443.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/252956/B761CB3E-2D89-4B76-B37E-4D3D6F85C88B_jpe-1463444.JPG
View Quote
If you go with a barrel nut mount, you don't need a threaded barrel like this:

However, if you have other SMG's or want the convenience of going suppressed / unsuppressed without having to wonder where you put your barrel nut then I'd recommend you get a 3 lug barrel and 3 lug suppressor.
Maybe get on the notification list for one of these: https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/UZI-N-SMG-9-375-quot-3-LUG-BARREL-THREADED-1-2x28-NITRIDE-FINISH-22p6809.htm
BWE has them listed for more $$ and backordered as well: https://bwefirearms.com/product/smg-uzi-barrel-3-lug-9mm/

I have no first hand experience with either.  If you don't want to wait, then you can get one of your barrels threaded and get a thread on 3 lug adapter.

Link Posted: 6/19/2020 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you go with a barrel nut mount, you don't need a threaded barrel like this:
http://www.c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/MiniUZI-1024x546.jpg

However, if you have other SMG's or want the convenience of going suppressed / unsuppressed without having to wonder where you put your barrel nut then I'd recommend you get a 3 lug barrel and 3 lug suppressor.
Maybe get on the notification list for one of these: https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/UZI-N-SMG-9-375-quot-3-LUG-BARREL-THREADED-1-2x28-NITRIDE-FINISH-22p6809.htm
BWE has them listed for more $$ and backordered as well: https://bwefirearms.com/product/smg-uzi-barrel-3-lug-9mm/

I have no first hand experience with either.  If you don't want to wait, then you can get one of your barrels threaded and get a thread on 3 lug adapter.

View Quote

I have a BWE 3-lug for my SBR and it shoots great. The backorder was only about 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I gauge every round that I reload, and any that don't gauge to spec go in a bin marked 'Uzi only'.  The Uzi, it would seem, will eat anything.  It really doesn't care.

It's way easier than trying to get the 9mm cases re-sized.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I gauge every round that I reload, and any that don't gauge to spec go in a bin marked 'Uzi only'.  The Uzi, it would seem, will eat anything.  It really doesn't care.

It's way easier than trying to get the 9mm cases re-sized.
View Quote
Have you tried the Lee Factory Crimp Die?   I used to do the same thing like 15+ years ago then someone told me about them.   I use that in my last stage and rounds fired in the UZI work in everything.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Open bolts with a fixed firing pin hammer the hell out of primers.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Have you tried the Lee Factory Crimp Die?   I used to do the same thing like 15+ years ago then someone told me about them.   I use that in my last stage and rounds fired in the UZI work in everything.
View Quote

I have in other calibers, but not 9mm.  I'll give it a go when I get a chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top