Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2018 12:00:38 AM EDT
I have a mom and pop gun shop. In 2017 I mounted 253 rifle scopes. I hope to do more this year so I want to streamline my process. I am experimenting with holding the rifle barrel in a floor-mounted vise with a barrel vise block to protect the barrel. I will need to be able to level the vise once the gun is mounted. I can level the gun and then tighten the vise but it would be more precise if I just leveled the vise. Do you have any ideas how to build a leveling plate?

Thanks for your help.

ETA: I currently have two Hyskore Cleaning and Sighting rests with Wheeler Engineering level sets. I have found that I have the let the barrel mounted level "settle" for several minutes because it will twist on the barrel if tightened too much. That is what got me to thinking about creating a more rigid way of holding the gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems like you already have it figured out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems like you already have it figured out.
View Quote
I just need some ideas on what hardware to use to build a leveling plate for the vise.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:09:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Aero thanks for showing up. I am going to build the leveling plate out of metal. However, your suggestion for using three levelers (instead of four) is one I have not thought of, so thank you very much for that.

The only bubble level I will use in on the scope base itself. I really don't care if the vise is level, just the gun. I just need a way to adjust the vise to make the gun level. Your suggestion will help me alot. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 3:26:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Aero thanks for showing up. I am going to build the leveling plate out of metal. However, your suggestion for using three levelers (instead of four) is one I have not thought of, so thank you very much for that.

The only bubble level I will use in on the scope base itself. I really don't care if the vise is level, just the gun. I just need a way to adjust the vise to make the gun level. Your suggestion will help me alot. Thanks again.
View Quote
Get yourself a mini ball mount like is used on cameras, they will come with a 1/4 or 3/8 threaded hole in the bottom of them that you can mount to your bottom plate, then do your top plate with 4 t-handle screws that you can adjust and center on your bubble level.  The top of the ball mount will have a threaded bolt as well. and they have a friction knob to adjust how firm they are, but they give you full 360 degree adjust ability.

Something like this one, you can get them in several different sizes and weight capacities.

Ball mount Amazon.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I may have figured out an elegant solution. I have a bench grinder stand that has a tri-base on it. I can use leveling feet on the base of the stand. Would rather have the adjustments at hands' reach but this may be too simple to overlook.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Would be very easy to do with a ball head in the middle and 4 thumb screws on the corners to even things out, I might even have an extra ball head laying around here I could send you, I am sure I could build one in a couple of hours.

@jonblack

Edited to catch jonblack's attention.  AeroE
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Would be very easy to do with a ball head in the middle and 4 thumb screws on the corners to even things out, I might even have an extra ball head laying around here I could send you, I am sure I could build one in a couple of hours.

@jonblack

Edited to catch jonblack's attention.  AeroE
View Quote
Wow! That would be awesome! Will PM you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wow! That would be awesome! Will PM you.
View Quote
jonblack,

Wanted to know I did not forget you, the only ball heads I have hear at home are very large ones, but I still have a couple of boxes I need to look through in my storage unit located in town to see if I have some of the smaller ones in those boxes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Dave

No worries! I know these things take time, especially when a brother is trying to help you out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been working on an elegant solution as well.  Looking at a Wilton Power Arm vice mount.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:10:53 AM EDT
[#15]
That Wilton Power Arm is really cool. Thanks for sharing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top