Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2022 1:32:07 PM EDT
I recently got a C&R and I am just wondering if I am able to use it to purchase some guns from a collector several states away. I am located in Illinois and he is in Connecticut. I am going to help this collector liquidate his collection and he has several C&R firearms that I am interested in. Can I just hand him a signed copy of my C&R with cash and mail them back to myself? I am mainly interested in a few rifles but there might be a pistol or two that I also want.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep. That’s the whole point of it after all.

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Pistols, rifles, even NFA that are C&R are good to go and shipped across state lines.  There is a machinegun that will be shipped to me once the ATF approves the Form 4.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I just wanted to make sure that I could hand him some cash and walk out of his house carrying my new toys. Thank you
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Check your state laws too. For example, I think CA doesn’t allow a C&R FFL to be used to transfer handguns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought a C&R was only good to transfer firearms shipped direct to your licensed address, not cash and carry across state lines. Am I wrong about that ?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I recently got a C&R and I am just wondering if I am able to use it to purchase some guns from a collector several states away.
View Quote

I'm glad you came to ask before doing something you shouldn't.
1. How on earth do you not know the answer to this already? If all you did was fill out a Form 7 and have no clue as to what your 03FFL permits you to do......shame on you. You better go to ATF.gov and start doing some reading. Pronto.
2. Start here: https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/collectors
3. Then understand how this applies to you:https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/record-required-licensees
4. Spend the next hour reading everything in 478: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-27/chapter-II/subchapter-B/part-478?toc=1
If that seems harsh, it's intended to be harsh. I don't want to see you become a felon and lose the ability to possess  firearms. Firearm laws are serious and ATF is serious. No one wants to find out how serious.

I am located in Illinois
View Quote

Does Illinois regulate collecting of firearms? I dont know, but you had better know.

and he is in Connecticut.
View Quote

Two of the top ten most anti gun states. Tread carefully.
If you go to CN, you damn well better know what CN state law requires.

I am going to help this collector liquidate his collection and he has several C&R firearms that I am interested in.
View Quote

Remember, your 03FFL is for enhancing YOUR collection of eligible firearms. It is not a license that allows you to engage in the business of dealing in firearms. If the collector in Connecticut has thirty Mosin Nagants and you buy them intending to keep five and sell the rest......thats dealing in firearms and requires a dealers license.
If you are going to list them for him on GunBroker, collect the $$$ and ship the guns.........oh hell no.

Can I just hand him a signed copy of my C&R with cash and mail them back to myself?
View Quote

As regards federal law, you hand him your C&R FFL and he transfers to you. CN may differ.
As far as mailing it depends....rifles and shotgun you can mail directly from CN to your address in IL. Handgun (defined by USPS as any firearm concealable on the body) are not mailable except by licensed dealers, manufacturers and certain LE. For handguns, you would have to ship via UPS as FedEx has recently prohibited firearm shipments except by dealers enrolled in their FFL program. UPS tariff requires handguns to go Next Day. That ain't cheap.

IL and CN may have state laws that restrict how firearm transfers occur.

I am mainly interested in a few rifles but there might be a pistol or two that I also want.
View Quote

Just be sure they are C&R eligible.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought a C&R was only good to transfer firearms shipped direct to your licensed address, not cash and carry across state lines. Am I wrong about that ?
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I recently got a C&R and I am just wondering if I am able to use it to purchase some guns from a collector several states away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm glad you came to ask before doing something you shouldn't.
1. How on earth do you not know the answer to this already? If all you did was fill out a Form 7 and have no clue as to what your 03FFL permits you to do......shame on you. You better go to ATF.gov and start doing some reading. Pronto.
2. Start here: https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/collectors
3. Then understand how this applies to you:https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/record-required-licensees
4. Spend the next hour reading everything in 478: https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-27/chapter-II/subchapter-B/part-478?toc=1
If that seems harsh, it's intended to be harsh. I don't want to see you become a felon and lose the ability to possess  firearms. Firearm laws are serious and ATF is serious. No one wants to find out how serious.

I only got the C&R because Illinois law requires it to own SBR's. I had no interest in anything C&R when I applied. When my license came, it was in an envelope with another paper stating that a few other things were out of stock and they would be mailed to me at a later date. I will check out your links. The reason I ask questions is to learn. I always try to stay on the right side of the law. If I don't know, I ask. Your response doesn't seem harsh at all. You're laying out facts and that's exactly what I need. Thank you for that.

I am located in Illinois

Does Illinois regulate collecting of firearms? I dont know, but you had better know.

I'm fine on my end in Illinois.

and he is in Connecticut.

Two of the top ten most anti gun states. Tread carefully.
If you go to CN, you damn well better know what CN state law requires.

Illinois law sucks but its not as bad as its made out to be. I'm still looking into Connecticut's but it looks like its just paperwork we'll have to do and send to the state.

I am going to help this collector liquidate his collection and he has several C&R firearms that I am interested in.

Remember, your 03FFL is for enhancing YOUR collection of eligible firearms. It is not a license that allows you to engage in the business of dealing in firearms. If the collector in Connecticut has thirty Mosin Nagants and you buy them intending to keep five and sell the rest......thats dealing in firearms and requires a dealers license.
If you are going to list them for him on GunBroker, collect the $$$ and ship the guns.........oh hell no.

I am not selling a thing. I am helping with cataloging, pricing and cleaning them. When they go up for sale, it will be by them in accordance with Connecticut law. I might purchase a few but that's as far as I go when it comes to the actual selling of them

Can I just hand him a signed copy of my C&R with cash and mail them back to myself?

As regards federal law, you hand him your C&R FFL and he transfers to you. CN may differ.
As far as mailing it depends....rifles and shotgun you can mail directly from CN to your address in IL. Handgun (defined by USPS as any firearm concealable on the body) are not mailable except by licensed dealers, manufacturers and certain LE. For handguns, you would have to ship via UPS as FedEx has recently prohibited firearm shipments except by dealers enrolled in their FFL program. UPS tariff requires handguns to go Next Day. That ain't cheap.

IL and CN may have state laws that restrict how firearm transfers occur.

Anything I buy will more than likely be shipped by a dealer because I will only be there for 48 hours on a weekend.

I am mainly interested in a few rifles but there might be a pistol or two that I also want.

Just be sure they are C&R eligible. Everything that I want is over 50 and on the ATF's C&R list.

Link Posted: 2/4/2022 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top