Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2024 9:21:40 PM EDT
Ok. So I have another post about wanting to get a used AMSEC Amvault TL30 that’s been refurbished.
But now I have a dilemma.
I got a quote for a brand new AMSEC Amvault CF7236 for $10k. Add on taxes, delivery (130 miles) and installation and it comes to $12,700.
That’s brand new. But with the standard mechanical dial.

The AMSEC I was planning on buying is a used and refurbished AMSEC Amvault TL30 sold by World Wide Safes Model WW-6536. It’s basically the same internal and external dimensions as the name brand AMSEC Amvault. Both are an AMSEC Amvault and use the same UL listing for burglary rating and fire rating. Both weigh the same at 4,400 pounds. And the new Amvault comes with a lifetime break in and fire replacement warranty.

The World Wide refurbished Amvault starts out at $7500 and that price includes delivery and installation in my garage. But I added a LeGard Combogard 39E Redundant lock. So one lock is a key pad, but the other lock is a mechanical dial lock. If one fails, the other will still open the safe. It’s a redundant system. But the price for everything is $9,142. And it only comes with a 90 day warranty on the safe mechanically. No warranty against break in or fire. But the company has a stellar reputation for only selling quality safes. There are several threads on here about people buying the used and refurbished safes and making the, gun safes.

What do y’all think? Should I fork over the extra money for a new AMSEC with the warranty? Or save the $3,500 and go with the refurbished one from World Wide Safes?

I have included photos of a refurbished Amvault from World Wide Safes and a name brand Amvault sold by AMSEC.

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd go refurb if it was me.  Better price, support from the local company.

Do you really need the factory warranty?  They would work through someone local anyway for such.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought one of these used.  It is a fantastic safe because of the real rating, weight, steel thickness and wall linings.  Too heavy for inside the house.  Looks like you’re in TX, these types of safes allow a lot of humidity.  If you can get the company to drill it for power, I would highly recommend that so you can install a golden rod.

I would go refurbed/ used.  I have had no issues with mine.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 10:28:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:
I bought one of these used.  It is a fantastic safe because of the real rating, weight, steel thickness and wall linings.  Too heavy for inside the house.  Looks like you’re in TX, these types of safes allow a lot of humidity.  If you can get the company to drill it for power, I would highly recommend that so you can install a golden rod.

I would go refurbed/ used.  I have had no issues with mine.
View Quote

I just send an email to the sales rep I have been dealing with. I asked him to drill a larger hole for electrical.
It comes with a .25” diameter hole already in it.
Do you think that would be big enough for me to run wiring into the safe and run a golden rod and a light kit?

What do you love best about your safe? Who did you deal with with your safe? I’ve been dealing with Kevin Rosen and have nothing but good things to say so far.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 1:37:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QtrHorse] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rmmiller1985:

I just send an email to the sales rep I have been dealing with. I asked him to drill a larger hole for electrical.
It comes with a .25” diameter hole already in it.
Do you think that would be big enough for me to run wiring into the safe and run a golden rod and a light kit?

What do you love best about your safe? Who did you deal with with your safe? I’ve been dealing with Kevin Rosen and have nothing but good things to say so far.
View Quote

I bought mine from a store going out of business locally.  Mine are the 60’ish inch tall versions.

The good:
Too heavy for someone to move easily.  2-3 people aren’t going to drag your safe out.
I don’t see how you could pry one of these open.
Would need special equipment to drill and or cut. The walls are 4in thick and I’m fairly certain the door weighs 400-500lbs.
They have a true long fire rating, not some made up 30 min number.
I feel very confident whatever is in it will be safe from thieves or a fire.

The bad:
Mine is all steel on the inside with built in hanger brackets for clips and those metal shelves.  You will have to come up with something to mount rifles to.  
No carpet lining
No electrical unless you drill a hole which is hard to do.
There is no expandable seal around the door like most gun safes have, smoke could get in if there was a fire.  You may want to add that.

Maybe with it being a “refurb”, they may have corrected some of the “bad” issues I mentioned.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
A little update. I had them drill out the electrical hole for 5/8” diameter instead of leaving it as a 1/4” diameter. So running electrical wire inside shouldn’t be a problem. I can have a good light kit and a couple of Golden Rods. I’ll have the electrician come out and run a high amp thick gauge wire through the hole. So running two golden rods and lights shouldn’t be an issue. Kevin at World Wide Safes has been great to work with. They have the old paint stripped off the safe and it’s ready for the new primer and paint. So here is a progress photo.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top