Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2018 5:26:35 PM EDT
I’ve been looking at the gauntlet in .22 for a while and wondering if anyone has one and what type scopes are being used. My goals are 50 yard shots on paper and little critters (mice to woodchuck size). At $300 it seems to fit my budget on a air rifle. Granted, I need to buy an air source but I do have two old scuba tanks I can use. I would just need to get them hydro tested and filled.

So let’s have your opinions, pros, cons and setups on the gauntlet. Pics would be good too. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
They are the first, but now not the only, low priced PCP with a regulator.

There are areas that need work.  If you are not mechanical, don't start here.

The trigger needs to be polished and adjusted to the edge of break.  It then becomes quite good.

The point of aim changes if the barrel is even slightly bumped.  There are barrel bands to help cure this condition.  I found adding a stiff spring to the existing one at the end of the barrel solves the problem.  It puts tension between the barrel, which is pencil thin and the shroud that covers it.

I swabbed my barrel, after removing it, with JB Bore Compound.  That got most of the high spots cleared up.

The bolt is rough.  Wet and dry sandpaper will cure that.

Jefferson State Air Rifles make a kit that changes the air release valve and hammer spring.  It stops hammer bounce, which is present in the Gauntlet, makes for the use of air waaaaay more efficient giving you more shots per fill.

My gun shoots almost as good as my Daystate Wolverine "R".  I could buy 9 Gauntlets for what I paid for the Daystate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been looking at the same air rifle.  From what I could tell from reviews it looks like it's a good rifle for the money.  I'm waiting for some Christmas sales, I'd guess there should be a few package deals show up with scopes, an extra mag and maybe a manual pump...wishing.  an amazon vedor has a combo kit minus a scope for around $335.

I've seen where several people have had to adjust the ninja regulator to get velocity up to a sweet spot for their preferred pellets.  It doesn't look that hard.

The Benjamin Marauder is my second choice, but for the price of a regulated version I can almost get 2 gauntlets.  And I won't feel as bad when one of my kids drops it.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
have a look at the ATI, Nova imports. either the Freedom or the newer, Liberty.
https://americantactical.us/category/airguns

I've not owned a Gauntlet. I have owned several, QB series guns that were converted to PCP, couple using bottles. Basically, my QB's were Gauntlet's only close to 10 years earlier...... Decent guns but Antiques by todays standards just like the Gauntlet IMHO.

If I didn't already have more PCP air guns than a man really needs, I'd be buying a Nova Liberty. Sidelever cocking is sweet, regulated, lighter than the gauntlet and better looking IMHO all for the same money.

EDIT:
Your scuba tanks won't do much good with 3000psi fill guns, even less with higher pressure fill guns. Take the bottle on the Gauntlet. Typically, scuba tanks are slightly over filled to say 3100-3200psi. So, you get one complete fill on your gun bottle.... from here on, you'll get less and less PSI in the bottle with each fill. The scuba tank is still useable, right down to the point you hit your gun bottle regulator set pressure. If you have high pressure, 3500PSI scuba tanks you'll be a little better off but still probably only get a hand full of complete gun bottle fills. One of the big reason to use a regulated bottle is completely filling it for shot count....

Rather than putting money into fresh hydro's on your scuba tanks, put that money towards a 4500PSI tank. This assumes you have a local shop that can/will do 4500PSI fills....
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I planned on refilling air rifle tanks from 4500 psi compressed air tanks from the welding and gas supply store.  With a good regulator, dump valve, and bottle adapter one should get several fills from a big tank.  I got my last tank exchanged for $45.

I like th3 looks and function of side levers.   I have to look at some bargin, price point designs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#5]
What about 4500 psi paintball tanks?
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about 4500 psi paintball tanks?
View Quote
The tanks are fine, the regulators however are not for filling air guns. Typical paintball regulator has an 850PSI output. You'll need a higher pressure regulator or the best solution is replace the reg with a hand valve.

There are PB size tanks that already have either a 3000PSI reg or hand valve on the market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top