Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2018 4:36:39 PM EDT
I'm interested in an ultra reliable 12g-semi. The Benelli M4 is out of the question due to price.

Needs decent aftermarket and tactical-ish. Ghost rings are a huge plus as is rifle sights.
I am interested in maybe the Benelli M1 or M2, FN SLP.

Main purpose is range toy and *maybe* HD duty.

What are some of the best semi-12g shotguns?
Thinking of trading for one so trying to see my options
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you looked at the Beretta 1301?

Seems to be the best reviewed go to tactical shotguns, has a ton of aftermarket, and a great reputation.

Aridus Industries is really building up the after market.
View Quote
I have seen a few things about them. Are they similar to the Benelli M4? I think Beretta owns Benelli, or other way around
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
OP: I want the best, but I'm not willing to pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I can’t say a bad thing about my Versamax Tactical.  I’ve run everything from cheap birdshot to 3” slugs and never had one hiccup.

I’m generally not a big semiauto shotgun fan (prefer pump shotguns) but I got the Tactical for 3gun.  I like it so much that I recently bought a Competition Tactical, too.

I’d trust my Tactical in a self defense shotgun role. My only hesitation is that I don’t have the muscle memory (yet) with it like I do with an 870.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to a well stocked gun store. Buy used. Pick the one you want. Make it into what you want.
I would say Remington has the best aftermarket selection, but I haven’t looked in several years.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sold on Benelli M2.

12 and 20, and neither has ever not performed.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The Beretta 1301 is a fantastic semi auto. It in its counterpart Benelli M4 were the only two semi autos that could survive daily rental use at the iindoor range I previously worked out
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Remington 11-87
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Beretta 1301 is a fantastic semi auto. It in its counterpart Benelli M4 were the only two semi autos that could survive daily rental use at the iindoor range I previously worked out
View Quote
What was available for rent?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What was available for rent?
View Quote
We tried Remington 1100s and 1187s. Just for shits and grins we also tried a few of the Turkish semi’s.  To be honest any gun that entered our range program and survive one year was considered a success. Most guns would fail at least 1 to 2 times in that year.  We definitely were hard on them we would run them put them away dirty only cleaning them as they started to get sluggish. But with 150 rental guns and 30 liens in more business that we can handle we did what was necessary.

Hell just for example we would get aks from Century and we would crack trunnions usually at the six-month mark resulting in them replacing the entire gun.

The 1301’s and Benelli M4’s we ran were flawless
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can’t say a bad thing about my Versamax Tactical.  I’ve run everything from cheap birdshot to 3” slugs and never had one hiccup.

I’m generally not a big semiauto shotgun fan (prefer pump shotguns) but I got the Tactical for 3gun.  I like it so much that I recently bought a Competition Tactical, too.

I’d trust my Tactical in a self defense shotgun role. My only hesitation is that I don’t have the muscle memory (yet) with it like I do with an 870.
View Quote
That’s been my expierence as well. I run a VersaMax Tactical in 3gun. I was so impressed with it I bought a regular one with a 26” barrel for hunting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We tried Remington 1100s and 1187s. Just for shits and grins we also tried a few of the Turkish semi’s.  To be honest any gun that entered our range program and survive one year was considered a success. Most guns would fail at least 1 to 2 times in that year.  We definitely were hard on them we would run them put them away dirty only cleaning them as they started to get sluggish. But with 150 rental guns and 30 liens in more business that we can handle we did what was necessary.

Hell just for example we would get aks from Century and we would crack trunnions usually at the six-month mark resulting in them replacing the entire gun.

The 1301’s and Benelli M4’s we ran were flawless
View Quote
How did the Turkish guns run and, what ones were they? What failed and was it fixable?
I may be mistaken but, I believe the Girsan shot guns are a clone of the Benelli M2 inertial system.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Semi 12ga should never be judged on cycling that 5 bucks a box skeet or dove load.  Keep above 1oz and 1200fps. Any thing lighter and slower is just weak!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How did the Turkish guns run and, what ones were they? What failed and was it fixable?
View Quote
Ran some tristars and Hatfield’s.. Parts availability was always an issue. What it came down to was when they broke we sold them for 25% of cost. Never bothered to fix them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:31:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have you looked at the Beretta 1301?

Seems to be the best reviewed go to tactical shotguns, has a ton of aftermarket, and a great reputation.

Aridus Industries is really building up the after market.
View Quote
Mine didn’t run right after a couple thousand rounds, I’d go M2
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I would get the Beretta 1301. It's a great shotgun and is very reliable. It cycles everything I have shot through it including the cheap Walmart stuff, which causes problems in most other semi guns. The aftermarket for it is great for it too. I don't think that you can beat it for the price. The SLP is great too, just make sure you know what piston is in it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Benelli M1
Benelli M2
Stoeger M3000
Beretta 1301

Friends don't let friends buy the Sometimes Loads Properly (SLP)

I am sure the VersaMax has improved a lot... but I shot too many 3-gun competitions where Remington put them out as a stage gun, and they could not keep them running.  Really turned me off.

You can find M2's pretty cheap, and M1's for really good deals.  There is very little good reason to buy anything else.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Semi 12ga should never be judged on cycling that 5 bucks a box skeet or dove load.  Keep above 1oz and 1200fps. Any thing lighter and slower is just weak!
View Quote
My M4 has no problem digesting the cheapest and lightest loads and hasn’t since the first ~100 or so rounds. Why shouldn’t inferior shotguns be held to the same standard?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My M4 has no problem digesting the cheapest and lightest loads and hasn’t since the first ~100 or so rounds. Why shouldn’t inferior shotguns be held to the same standard?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some shotguns are insanely reliable, but they do have their ammunition requirements to meet that.  You can download all ammo until eventually all guns will choke.

Now, my M1 will run any of those cheap light loads, however, it has been tweaked (lightened bolt, reduced power action spring) in order to accommodate that.

Some M1's/M2's will eat the cheap lower power 1oz loads like candy, and some won't.  They all have no problem shooting warmer 1oz loads or anything in 1-1/8 oz.  I would not degrade an M2 if it occasionally choked on those - I'd simply tweek it.

LOTS of people have reported problems with the Benelli M4 and cheap 1oz loads.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some shotguns are insanely reliable, but they do have their ammunition requirements to meet that.  You can download all ammo until eventually all guns will choke.

Now, my M1 will run any of those cheap light loads, however, it has been tweaked (lightened bolt, reduced power action spring) in order to accommodate that.

Some M1's/M2's will eat the cheap lower power 1oz loads like candy, and some won't.  They all have no problem shooting warmer 1oz loads or anything in 1-1/8 oz.  I would not degrade an M2 if it occasionally choked on those - I'd simply tweek it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup the shotguns are a bit different than rifles in that regard. It would be like expecting a AR in 5.56to cycle reduced recoil or subsonic loads without mods. Maybe possible but you make a lot of compromises.

I love my 1100’s they just run and run. When we were selling M2’s we had good luck with them. I’ve heard good things about the beretta but don’t have any firsthand experience.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:33:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 that has a LOT of rounds through it. Slugs, heavy loads, Walmart trap loads. I don’t ever remember it choking.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:08:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Remington 11-87
View Quote
I have an 11-87, and a Beretta.  The Beretta is in a different league entirely, in every way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:11:45 AM EDT
[#25]
M1 or M2. Next question.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have an 11-87, and a Beretta.  The Beretta is in a different league entirely, in every way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remington 11-87
Is the 11-87 reliable?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 5:20:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Design wise, I don't think the 1301 is related the the Benelli M series at all.

I've heard and read nothing but good things about the 1301 as a fighting shotgun.
View Quote
The rotating bolt design is where the similarity ends.

The 1301 is always having design issues and Beretta is constantly updating it to fix it. Maybe by gen 4 or so it will be as good as an M1 or M2. OP, id recommend and M2 SBS. The only thing you really give up is 2 rounds. Get the carrier milled for ghost loading and youre gaining 1 rd back. I strongly favor 14" shotguns over longer versions.

The m1 and m2 are the only guns id recommend to you, since the m4 is out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The rotating bolt design is where the similarity ends.

The 1301 is always having design issues and Beretta is constantly updating it to fix it. Maybe by gen 4 or so it will be as good as an M1 or M2. OP, id recommend and M2 SBS. The only thing you really give up is 2 rounds. Get the carrier milled for ghost loading and youre gaining 1 rd back. I strongly favor 14" shotguns over longer versions.

The m1 and m2 are the only guns id recommend to you, since the m4 is out.
View Quote
What design issues?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#29]
1301 is the answer of an M4 is out of reach. However, plenty of M4’s lightly used in the $1400 range...which could probably be had for $1200.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What design issues?
View Quote
-Hammer struts break.
-Mag tube gets a groove worn in it where the action slides against it.
-Shell dump (fixed with gen 2)
-Trigger assembly rotates around pin and causes feed issues is the latest problem.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I strongly favor 14" shotguns over longer versions.
View Quote
How about 12.75"?

DSC_1680-M2 Short Long by FredMan, on Flickr

DSC_1688-M2 SBS by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks guys. I'll try for a 1301, newer version with chokes, or an M2 both Tactical models.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#33]
That thing is BEGGING for a Nordic +1
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#34]
That is drop dead sexy!
I agree with previous poster that the SBS needs a +1
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm sold on Benelli M2.

12 and 20, and neither has ever not performed.
View Quote
This.  Most reliable and used gun I own.  Works not matter what loads I feed it.  Mine is a 12ga left handed model too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Benelli M1 super 90
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Benelli M1 or M2
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Older Browning A5, but I'm just weird like that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#39]
This is what I have.  It's been 100% and the size/capacity is just right.  The only mods I've done is install a bigger bolt handle and to add the factory tri-rail to the mag tube to hang a light.

FN SLP 18"  https://fnamerica.com/products/shotguns/fn-slp/

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Is the 11-87 reliable?
View Quote
I had an 1100 and currently own an 11-87. Both have been completely reliable. I've done several 250-300 round days shooting casual clays with my sons (passing the one 11-87 back and forth) without a hiccup. Also, the local trap/skeet range has several 1100 rentals that see a lot of use...bluing is worn and stocks are dinged up but they just keep chugging along. I do keep my guns clean and change the O-ring every so often even though they're likely fine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had an 1100 and currently own an 11-87. Both have been completely reliable. I've done several 250-300 round days shooting casual clays with my sons (passing the one 11-87 back and forth) without a hiccup. Also, the local trap/skeet range has several 1100 rentals that see a lot of use...bluing is worn and stocks are dinged up but they just keep chugging along. I do keep my guns clean and change the O-ring every so often even though they're likely fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the 11-87 reliable?
My experience as well but I was asking him specifically because he said the Beretta was in a different class in a bunch of ways and I was wondering if reliability was one of them. In my experience the 1100's run and run.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That thing is BEGGING for a Nordic +1
View Quote
Hmm.....
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is the 11-87 reliable?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remington 11-87
Is the 11-87 reliable?
Mostly.   Malfunctions are rare with it.  But they're non-existent in my Beretta.

Cleaning the Beretta is MUCH less work.   Berettas aren't dependent on a wear-item o-ring for function.  They also don't foul up the outside of the magazine tube.   They're not sensitive to whether you've cleaned the piston.  My Beretta is lighter.  It looks better.   The 11-87 is definitely a decent gun, but Berettas are just better... they sweated all the little details a lot more than Remington.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#46]
My M1S90 has been 100% with everything I've put in it. Most of the shells have been light loads and no issues even with a shell holder installed on the receiver.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not really. Different system design, different construction. The Benelli M4 receiver is made entirely of steel. The 1301 uses anodized aluminum. Etc.
View Quote
Benelli M4 receivers are anodized aluminum (which is totally fine).

If money is a concern, a used M1 or M2 is where it's at. They're extremely reliable. You'll trade a decreased risk of parts breakage for a little extra recoil. I love my M1 Entry.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Not to hijack This Thread but I had a question with respect to the M1 S90.

My particular shotgun was sold to me by a dealer with a pistol grip stock and an extended magazine tube. At some point on this website everyone was saying that it was an illegal configuration because of 922r.

Has this question ever been definitively answered? Can I reinstall the extended magazine tube on my pistol grip Benelli M1 S90?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Has this question ever been definitively answered?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Has this question ever been definitively answered?
The answer is:
If your gun has never fallen under the 925 exemption then yes, it is still subject to 922(r)
but see my linked post (and that whole thread) for further.

Can I reinstall the extended magazine tube on my pistol grip Benelli M1 S90?
If it was originally imported that way, you definitely can. If it was ever owned by (or shipped to) LE then you definitely can.

Ironically, if subject to 922(r) and someone else assembled it illegally, you could've left it installed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Ironically, if subject to 922(r) and someone else assembled it illegally, you could've left it installed.
View Quote
I was asking for a friend who bought one from the same dealer in the same configuration as mine. Luckily I never took mine off.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top