Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2017 2:59:56 PM EDT
First off, the CS at ATI is awesome.  They worked with me solving a shipping issue and made it right.  I'm just trying to save shipping and expense because of the very low value of the GSG-5 at this point.  

Unfortunately, my GSG-5 keeps have Failures to Fire.  This happens 20-25% of the time. CCI Stingers and MiniMags run the best, but, still have FTF.  Similar with Aguila, Winchester, Federal Hi-Velocity Copperplated 35-40 gr loads.
The rifle is spotlessly clean, correctly lubricated, and correct replacement screws installed with blue Loctite.   Tried brand new magazines also, with not luck.  

Bill Springfield "worked" on my trigger and I think that the hammer is not getting enough velocity when it strikes the firing pin.  

OR

Possibly the barrel has unscrewed itself?    

OR ....???

I'm dumbfounded at this point after trying everything that I've  read online.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Figure out what Bill Springfield did and undo it first.   Too much bad juju from him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If you haven't modified the hammer strut and cut some coils off of the firing pin return spring it will never work correctly
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#3]

I'm about to take out the firing pin spring and see how it runs.  I doubt its going to run away.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you haven't modified the hammer strut and cut some coils off of the firing pin return spring it will never work correctly
View Quote

How do you modify the hammer strut?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]
First are you getting light primer strikes ?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, light primer strikes.  Total disassembly showed the barrel had rotated ~15*.  Going to see if that does it next time at the range.  Probably going to remove the firing pin safety spring.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, light primer strikes.  Total disassembly showed the barrel had rotated ~15*.  Going to see if that does it next time at the range.  Probably going to remove the firing pin safety spring.
View Quote
If i recall, i may be wrong, if you tighten the barrel up even a tad to much your gonna get slam fires. I remember years ago someone was dealing with a loose barrel and i could have sworn it was overtighting made it run away on him. Basicaly just saying dont throw a full mag in at first. LoL
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I had trouble with light primer strikes as well and my friend modified my firing pin to make a narrower impression on the cartridge case and the result was the same force over a smaller area.  Works great now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had trouble with light primer strikes as well and my friend modified my firing pin to make a narrower impression on the cartridge case and the result was the same force over a smaller area.  Works great now.
View Quote
Thanks.  I'll try that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The firing pin has an odd shape. There is a 90 degree section that stops the firing pin from over traveling. It stops against a part inside the bolt. It will get some crud in there and cause light primer strikes. I ran into where the bolt would have to be disassembled and cleaned about every 500 rounds. I used a diamond file and took a couple thousands off the pin to increase the protrusion. Have about 3 k through it with no problems.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The firing pin has an odd shape. There is a 90 degree section that stops the firing pin from over traveling. It stops against a part inside the bolt. It will get some crud in there and cause light primer strikes. I ran into where the bolt would have to be disassembled and cleaned about every 500 rounds. I used a diamond file and took a couple thousands off the pin to increase the protrusion. Have about 3 k through it with no problems.
View Quote
Thank you!  I'll try that.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#12]
UPDATE:

Still experienced FTF after modifying the firing pin, ensuring proper barrel location, loctite, screw upgrade, cleaned and TW-25B

Still FTF

Pulled the FCG out of the lower receiverjj.  

DAMN.  I'll post pictures later but here are the highlights:

- Bent pins
- Peened sear surfaces
- Bent spring

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#13]
My gsg5pk had issues. I worked with ATI to get them resolved. In the end, the gun went back under warranty,  and was returned to me running like a top.

I wish more companies ran their cs like ati.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#14]
UPDATE!

The GSG-5 is running 98% after replacing all the springs, some pins, the firing pin, and modifying the hammer strut.

Was really bummed the plinker was going to die on me.

Thanks to ATI CS!

Now.......what to replace my factory fixed stock with.....the B&T style seems impossible to find.

Is the 2nd gen ATI Collapsible stock worth the money?
Link Posted: 12/14/2017 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
UPDATE!

The GSG-5 is running 98% after replacing all the springs, some pins, the firing pin, and modifying the hammer strut.

Was really bummed the plinker was going to die on me.

Thanks to ATI CS!

Now.......what to replace my factory fixed stock with.....the B&T style seems impossible to find.

Is the 2nd gen ATI Collapsible stock worth the money?
View Quote
http://rrages.com/retract/folder/index.htm
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Bill springfield F'd one of my HK trigger packs too.
Then gave me the "you must not be holding the rifle tight to your shoulder" BS.

Glad you got it sorted. I have an ATI gen 1 stock that is good nuff.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
If you wanted to you could put a real HK stock on it as well.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
……
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#19]
…..
Link Posted: 2/17/2023 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]
When I had a GSG5 (First edition) I put an airsoft A3 stock on it. Fit perfect with zero issues. It was classic army brand if memory serves me right.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:09:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
When I had a GSG5 (First edition) I put an airsoft A3 stock on it. Fit perfect with zero issues. It was classic army brand if memory serves me right.
View Quote

I think your right it was Classic Army. For the Gen 1 it was fun since you could do a few things to it.. ie laser in the tube, install a airsoft KAC RAS grip (some fitting required).
I still have mine.. Never shot it for ages since I rather shoot the real thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think your right it was Classic Army. For the Gen 1 it was fun since you could do a few things to it.. ie laser in the tube, install a airsoft KAC RAS grip (some fitting required).
I still have mine.. Never shot it for ages since I rather shoot the real thing.
View Quote

I did the laser in the tube too! I'm jealous you still have yours... I stupidly sold it to a "buddy" who sold it later for a profit. I keep an eye out at the LGS as occasionally they get em in. Been a few years though.
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top